Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Diabetic cyclists and fluid replacement
  • JimSu
    Free Member

What do you guys out there use?

I know a diabetic who is getting quads cramp after 15 miles for some time. He has great flexibility and ahs not recently inceased his milage but only drinks water while riding.

P20

I asked a couple of years ago for my father in law. The thread may be of help: Clicky Linky Thingy

Eyepic
    Free Member

Type 1 or 2?

If type 2 do you inject?

iDave
    Free Member

Try zipvit sport* ZV0 tabs. Carb free but electrolytes and glutamine

*I work with them, other brands are available.

JimSu
    Free Member

type 1 on insulin, no problems with hypos but does get cramps

MrTall
    Free Member

Nuun or Zero tablets are pretty good in my experience (as a sort of diabetic). Zero has a little bit of carbs in it, Nuun has none i think?

Northwind

I just do what everyone else does… TBH I’d never heard of a connection between diabetes and cramp, other than neuropathy as a long-term complication of bad control. Interesting stuff…

fenred
    Free Member

I’m type 1 and only cramp in my quads if I stop for a while and get cold. I dont think the 2 are related tbh but we are all different, worth trying nuun tabs to see if it makes a difference tho.

crikey
    Free Member

The idea that a lack of electrolytes causes cramp is widespread and probably wrong…

whytetrash

I use a weak carb drink, maxim if I can still find it then drop a Nunn OR Zero tab in with it

Type 1 for past 2 yrs and not noticed I get cramp more than I used to though…did nearly 6 hours on the bike today 1700m climbing with no issues, couple of torq bars, 1 gel and scrambled egg on toast after 4hrs

ThePinkster

I’ve been type 1 diabetic for 36 years and have MTB’d for the last 20 of them but have only ever used water, with perhaps a bit of flavouring (a drop of squas) if the urge really takes me.

Only ever suffered from cramps very occasionally, perhaps once or twice every 2 or 3 years, but don’t attribute that to diabetes.

I carry a small bottle of lucozade in my backpack for emergencies and a few nibbles such as flapjacks etc if I’m doing any longer rides but I’ve never noticed any real effects that I can relate to the diabetes specifically when cycling.

DickBarton

Water for me…suggest Indian tonic water for the cramps…it has Quinine in it the sorts them out…also available in sugar free format. type 1 for 35 years, mtb’s last 22…my Diabetes control is still largely down to luck!

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Type 2 (diet controlled) here. Never suffer from cramps.

brokensoul
    Free Member

I’m type 1, I’ve never had cramp that I’ve put down to diabetes.
    I always take a bottle of High5 energy out now, 50g of carbs sipped over a couple of hours, keeps my levels up, when my basal’s lowered to 40%(pump).

Suggsey
    Free Member

Type 2 for the past 8 years. I too suffer with cramps however in my case it is linked to lack of exercise regularly combined with occasional dehydration prior to riding. I normally use just Zero or Nunn or my personal favourite Zym and try to drink all three litres over a 4hr ride. I used to use High5 4+1 in a bottle in addition to try and maintain blood sugar levels but suffered from post ride bottom issues so now just eat a torque bar or some other oat based snack.
    Main thing is for diabetics is not to go off too hard from the start of the ride and use all your muscle glycogen in the first hour as it takes diabetics longer to replace it anyway (in the days after a long hard ride)but also then trying to fuel the muscle becomes a bit of an issue in terms of your food/sugar intake. Obviously this is also affected by the type of diabetes and medication that you may be on.
    Other causes of cramp can be poor asthma control or insufficient calcium intake-these were told me by my docs.
    Ultimately doctors can prescribe quinine sulphate tablets to relieve bouts of cramp but they are now restricting them and advising minimal intake as there are high heart attack risks with regular use of quinine sulphate!!

lipseal
    Free Member

Type 2 here and have been for the last 6 years. Decided to get fit when i found out, so got the bike out.
    6 years on and I’m still riding and now running. Did suffer with cramps on short rides but the cramps have lessened as the muscles have become stronger.
    So IMHO I think cramps are probably down to two things hydration and fatigue. But as others have posted on here and elsewhere if it was down to low electrolytes the whole of your body would cramp up, I’m no expert but sounds feasible.
    I’ve tried all sorts of high fives and nuunn drinks and I just find that if you keep hydrated with water,corporation pop until it was privatised, you should be fine as I did find myself cramping up quite badly with the additives.
    They don’t work for me but might for others, trail and error.

identicalbutlighter
    Free Member

Crickey is probably correct, current thinking suggests cramp has little to do with electrolytes and is neuromuscular in origin, so training at race pace & incorporating some strength work may help?
    Some asthma drugs can cause cramp in higher doses, doubt calcium effects will affect anyone who’s not rather unwell already – as in proper unwell.
    Quinine causes heart rhythm disturbance in overdose & has a ” narrow therapeutic window” ie easy ( ish) to OD, perhaps not the greatest drug to use in exercise, it’s always being touted as a cramp cure, I wouldn’t fancy it, doubt you’ll OD on tonic water though 🙂

DickBarton

Given the size of the cans you’d need to cart a number of them around with you to get an od affect.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Diabetic cyclists and fluid replacement’ is closed to new replies.