Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • CX/cross bikes/frames with discs
  • organic355
    Free Member

Is there a list anywhere?

if so can we start one to aid my search?

what have you got?

On One Dirty Disco
    Genesis CDF & Vapour
    Kinesis Crosslight
    Boardman CX (team/pro etc)
    Spesh Tricross

clubber
    Free Member

Planet X Uncle John
    Colnago
    Stevens
    Focus

Pretty much all the companies doing CX bikes either have or will soon have a disc model as it’s what the market’s after. FWIW, I think it’s a great improvement – for control really rather than power.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

The new Ridley’s looks OK:

antigee

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-disc-specific-cx-race-bikes-are-available-now

link within link – nice looking rose bikes one somewhere in this
    also another german one (i think)

BadlyWiredDog

Soma Double Cross DC – skinny steel tubes.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Pearson do a carbon one

mustard
    Free Member

Shand *drools*

mattsccm
    Free Member

I have a Cotic X

jmenorton
    Free Member

Rose do a couple of nice ones, good value too.

pixelmix
    Free Member

You’ve mentioned the Crosslight already – very happy with mine. 🙂

Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 by pixelmix, on Flickr

cynic-al
    Free Member

Kaffenbak

mcboo
    Free Member

Genesis Vapour here, very happy with it so far. BB7 mech discs work well…..lots more power and progressive. Geometry makes it comfortable to sit on the drops, even in traffic. All round excellent town bike, which is what the market is looking for I think.

senorj

Genesis Vapour here, very happy with it so far

I fancy one of those.Did you leave the panic brake levers on?

Am i right in thinking there aren’t any bottle mounts on the Kinesis?

organic355
    Free Member

which one has this:

disc brakes (preferably BB7’s)
    no panic brakes
    a bottle mount
    ability to run some kind of mudguards for commuting duties
    preferably SRAM gears

antigee

Am i right in thinking there aren’t any bottle mounts on the Kinesis?

it does have bottle mounts (and mudguard mounts)

only thing i don’t like is the front mech cable does traditional road route under the bb

pixelmix
    Free Member

which one has this:

no panic brakes
    a bottle mount
    preferably SRAM gears

Sounds exactly like my Pro6 above! Obviously I built it myself so the SRAM gears and lack of secondary brake levers was my own choice. I’ve got mine set up as 1×10 with Rival levers and cranks and a SRAM carbon brake lever on the left hand side for the BB7. I’ve not put mudguards on it, but it does have mounts.

Admittedly the Pro6 isn’t going to be as cheap as some of the off the peg items, but it does let you get the spec just the way you want it from day one (no Genesis pun intended).

jmenorton
    Free Member

which one has this:

no panic brakes
    a bottle mount
    preferably SRAM gears
    The Rose has all that except SRAM, 105 or ultergra. Internally routed to.

organic355
    Free Member

hmm, quite liking the white, or even the red…. who has it in stock?, I feel a bike build coming on!!

How do you fit front guards to it? it isnt obvious from the pics?

pixelmix
    Free Member

hmm, quite liking the white, or even the red…. who has it in stock?, I feel a bike build coming on!!

How do you fit front guards to it? it isnt obvious from the pics?

I don’t think you’ll get it in stock anywhere right at the moment – pretty sure the first batch sold out and the next lot is due this month. Dom at Kinesis seems a friendly guy (very helpful when I ordered mine) and should be able to give you an update.

I got mine through The Bike Chain in Edinburgh – they all come through upgrade bikes.

PS – you can see the fork eyelets better here

organic355
    Free Member

pixelmix, what size would i need? i am 5ft7, 30″ inside leg

The specialized road bike I am riding at the moment (2004 Roubaix Elite 27) has an (effective seat tube of 54cm, and an (effective) top tube of 54.8 in a size medium

so a 51 kinesis or 54?

organic355
    Free Member

although these rose Pro DX Cross’ do look quite good value?

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/products/bikes/cross-bikes/rose-pro-dx-cross-2012/

pixelmix
    Free Member

I’m bang on 5ft7 and ride a 51cm with a 90cm stem. I get a bit of toe overlap in tight switchbacks but that’s mostly because my cranks are longer than they should probably be. I find the sizing fine now, and although I was a bit unsure at first, would probably buy the same size again.

54cm frame with a shorter stem could probably work too, but I reckon mine will be spot on if I get around to swapping out the 170mm crank for 165mm or something like that.

You’d be welcome to have a shot if you are around Edinburgh?

jmenorton
    Free Member

Ive got the 105 model of the Rose, Cant say a bad thing about it tbh, apart from you obviously have to buy it without seeing it, unless your germany. Great VFM, Absolutley love the BB7, starting to prefer them over my hydrolics, dont think you’ll find a better finishing kit on any other bike at that price point either.

flip
    Free Member

You’ve mentioned the Crosslight already – very happy with mine.

And me!

fontmoss
    Free Member

crosslight looks tidier than disco IMHO, no idea if any dif in weights?

senorj

antigee – ta.

Like the kinesis.mmmmm interesting.
    pixelmix – I reckon I’m the same size as you , sorry to be ignorant , but what do you mean by toe overlap?
    I’m darn sarf – any one know where i could ride one?

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

Traitor Cycles do one for a break from the norm :-)very happy with my Crusade

antigee

but what do you mean by toe overlap?

– wasn’t me that said suffer from it so hope i mean the same thing – front wheel strikes toe when crank forward and turning tight bends – easy to do when turning round in road or taking bends beyond 90degree or even with a bit of bad style out of the saddle

i’ve a smaller crosslight 51 i think and am running mud guards and only size 8 feet – i’ve never run without the mudguards but am pretty sure would still catch without

GaryLake
    Free Member

>X< here…

pixelmix
    Free Member

As Antigee said. It isn’t an issue 99% of the time, but I occasionally notice it in really slow and tight turns. Probably a feature of most CX frames in small sizes.

That is the only feature which would make me think about trying a 54cm frame instead. Having had this frame for about 5 months I’d probably still go with the 51cm, albeit I’ll eventually swap my crank arms for a slightly shorter version (167.5 or 165mm rather than the 170mm I currently have).

senorj

thanks.

pixelmix
    Free Member

crosslight looks tidier than disco IMHO, no idea if any dif in weights?

Not sure of real life Dirty Disco weight but my 51cm Pro6 came in at 1550g and the fork was 550g before I cut down the steerer. I wanted something I can use for racing and also occasional loaded touring so plumped for the alu frame rather than the carbon.

organic355
    Free Member

flip whats on your croslight build and how much did it cost in total?

Also are you glad you went for the white? I am going to also be using whatever I get as a commuter, so figured the white was more visible in the day time.

senorj

I’ve just ordered a crosslight frame through my LBS.
    Due end of march – hurrah.

Also interested in the build kits folks have used.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Also interested in the build kits folks have used.

Mine is Rival crank arms, shifter and rear mech with a 41t chainring and a bash guard from BBG. Hope Hoops 29er wheels (run tubeless with seatlant with regular Maxxis Raze tyres) with BB7 road brakes. Finishing kit was mostly from the classifieds – mid range alu stuff. Total cost was about £1,500 using a mix of good internet prices (Merlin etc), a couple of small bits from the LBS and the classifieds.

I started off with a 44t chainring upfront but have now gone to a 41t after churning away in some muddy races. Similarly, the rear mech was a SRAM X7 until I damaged that in a muddy race, and I now have a Rival one instead. Hopefully that gives you a few ideas to get started.

If you want to do it more cheaply, you could probably save some money on the wheels, get a cheaper seatpost instead of my 2nd hand Thomson and so on.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘CX/cross bikes/frames with discs’ is closed to new replies.