Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • child back tandems dawes duet or thorn
  • karnali
    Free Member

been looking to get ne of these for a while now, and until last night only really new about the thorn ones these seem to go from about 450 -700 second hand depending on the model and kit etc.

just found the dawes duet that i can get new for 600 anyone using one and what are they like.

the best option would be 2nd hand duet but as of yet my internet search show up nothing

thanks for commetns and any other types of childback recomendations most gratefully recieved

ta

aracer
    Free Member

There’s always the option of converting a full size one:

(extra kiddy seat on the back optional).

karnali
    Free Member

how do you go about doing that and rough costs? it may be an option

aracer
    Free Member

Yep – that’s what’s in the pic. Along with some kiddy cranks also from SJSC, a normal RH crank at the front (“bought” for cost of postage from classifieds on here) and an extra long chain. You can run shorter chain on left down to normal stoker cranks for more neatness, but you then get various other issues. Fairly standard long stoker stem at full extension, along with some Profile Airwing bars turned backwards (they were what I had in my bits box).

Here’s a less blurry pic which makes it a bit clearer:

I feel the need to point out the little one on the back does enjoy it 😉

karnali
    Free Member

so to get this clear i could but somethign along the lines of a dawes double edge tandem

the part above

one of these
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/steel-single-chainring-chainset-32t-3-32-102-mm-cranks-prod24133/

a couple of 8 spd chains and any right hand track style chainset and put that on rtehr thant the right hand crank arm and bobs your uncle away we go.

how old was littel fella when he first went on the back?

ta

Mike_D
    Free Member

In a similar vein, here’s ours:

Long vehicle Mk II by MikeDavis, on Flickr

Went for the left-hand extra chain, largely because the second-hand kiddiecrank came with the pedals reversed (RH body on LH axle) to let you run the ring on the left and I couldn’t be bothered stripping them to swap them back 🙂 The cranks have grubscrews in the ends to stop the pedals unscrewing. Extra ring added to rear timing crank. Getting it all aligned is a bit fiddly. If starting from scratch I reckon the front drive option is probably easier.

Stoker is currently an average-height 5. Could definitely accommodate a shorter one, there’s plenty of seatpost out. The kiddiecranks can’t go any lower than they are without the cranks colliding with the outer ring/front mech below.

Takes a bit of faffing to get it all working, but well worth it. I reckon it’s more future-proof than a childback tandem – when they grow a bit you just revert to the standard cranks. Can also take taller stokers as-is just by taking the pedals off the kiddiecranks and putting some back on the main cranks.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

A year ago I won a Trek T900 secondhand on Ebay. (Sorry if I outbid anyone here). Bargain, as new for £275. It’s brilliant, shame Trek stopped making that frame. The rear seat suited my litttle girl from age 7 but will fit Mrs Mc(average height, and even I can ride the rear without too much problem.

I fitted MTB chainset and cassette because the gearing was a bit roadie. We have used it loads, it’s our school taxi and has been on every holiday. Goes across the back of the car with the wheels off. Took it over the Wrynose Pass just last weekend with my little girl (now 8 ) and we pedalled all the way. Rock solid on the Lakeland descents. I can’t fault it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘child back tandems dawes duet or thorn’ is closed to new replies.