Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Cat Poo Problems!
  • Baldysquirt

We've had our two cats for about a year now, and we've never had any real toilet problems with them since they were house trained. They always use the cat flap and go out in the garden.
    A couple of days ago we started to smell a strong smaell of sh*t in our kitchen. Last night we finally located the source – a big cat sh*t under the kitchen units right in the corner over the hole where the water pipes come through the timber floor. It was too far away to reach by hand, so we set about removing it and cleaning the area with a coat hanger and lots of antibacterial floor wipes. We think we got all / most of it, but some may have gone through the floor into the void below.
    Anyway, this morning the smell was still as strong as ever. I reckon there's still some left, but without ripping out the kitchen, and maybe lifting the floor, we'll never find it, let alone remove it. Any ideas? Will the smell eventually go? Should I try and get some expanding foam to 'cap off' the hole and seal it in? Or is there something else we can do to get rid of the smell? It's driving us mad.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

If it still smells that bad then yeah there's likely to still be some left.
    You could perhaps use a squeegee on a long-handle to drag some out but suspect as you say it's down the hole.
    Is it onto concrete then?
    To clean it off i'd be using a soft brush with a longish handle, and putting a bleach solution on every surface under there, and probably capping it off as you suggest when it's dried & you're sure you've got as much out as you can.

It's a bit odd it had a dump there, are the cats getting on ok together? Maybe one of them's not getting on well outside so it didn't want to go there?
    One of our cats always used to go anywhere except the litter tray, only stopped when we let her go outside.

gusamc
    Free Member

sorry, had to smile, posting as a non cat owner whose garden is a cat shittery and actually smells on hot summers days …………….

Baldysquirt

Yeah, we think it's odd too, but can't see any other difference in either of them otherwise. They still get on really well, and use the cat flap happily. It was probably just one of those things. It's a raised timber floor over earth / rubble (sheffield terrace), so anything that's left will be a nightmare to reach. I may have a look at the expanding foam option tomorrow.

Zoolander
    Free Member

1st thing that springs to mind is if another cat has come in through the flap and sprayed in that area. Your cat could be dumping there to mask the other cats smell . This though results in you smelling both spray and turd, the former being the real problem as quite frankly it mings.
    Other than that it coul be that one of your cats is unhappy with it's toilet options outside. One of ours only dumps right outside our back door , think she doesn't have much of a patch compared to the other cats as far as teratory goes. When I tried to stop her from crapping there she went in weird places so I've just let her get on with it and put a load of bark down by the back door so it looks better than a litter tray. Might be worth trying something similar.
    Lastly if you want to stop them using that spot in the kitchen again just leave a couple of oranges sliced in half there. They won't go near them.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

+1 for gusmac. My neighbour seemed happy that I was trying to spray her cats with a supersoaker but when I told her I was going to run her cats over (with a smile) she seemed to step up her efforts to stop them cr@pping in my garden.

PikeBN14
    Free Member

gusamc – Member
    sorry, had to smile, posting as a non cat owner whose garden is a cat shittery and actually smells on hot summers days …………….

I used to have the same problem, I got something like this squirty thing it's not exactly the same but same principle.

You can daisy chain them together if you have a big garden.

I used to forget to flick the little switch on the back when putting the washing on the line and can vouch for the effectiveness!!

organic355
    Free Member

this has put me right off my breakfast!!

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Charcoal ?

tracknicko
    Free Member

dirty **** bstards. my garden is choca full of the stuff.

why dont they sh1t in their own garden? get a swift kick/spray with the hose each time i see one within reach.

was much better when i had me rabid dog to sort them out.

Baldysquirt

Admittedly, they do use our neighbour's garden quite a lot, but we just wander in and do a clear up every couple of days. We check with them occasionally that it's not becoming an issue, and we still get on well!

I just hope the smell starts to dissipate soon, as cooking and eating in there isn't easy!

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

There is some justice…….

zokes
    Free Member

Get a python. It seems they're quite adept at stopping cats from crapping…

myheadsashed

Sweet justice 8)

Baldysquirt

And why is it justice? I don't believe I've wronged you (or anyone else for that matter)!

myheadsashed

No but there's a big fat cat that sh1ts in my garden right where the washing line is, cue sh1t walked right through the house and sh1t on the washing that had come off the line 👿

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Get ready for some ignorant selfish cat owner to come on here "Oh but cats bury their mess, must be a badger/fox/horse/walrus etc"
    Couldn't be sweet mr tiddles could it?

myheadsashed

Nah I've seen it do the deed since – revenge will one day be mine 😈

richcc
    Free Member

Same in our garden. Shame really as it would be nice for our little lad to play in our garden without risk of toxoplasmosis. In a lot of ways cats are worse than dogs

racing_ralph
    Free Member

cats only shit in crap gardens!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Cat Poo Problems!’ is closed to new replies.