Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Can openers…is it just me?
  • MrPottatoHead

I’ll admit to being a lefty which is probably half the problem, but does anyone else struggle using a can opener? My latest has just disassembled itself on the kitchen side as it definitely wasn’t made for a lefty. One before that just mashed the can into a different shape without cutting the lid. Surely there can’t be a technique to this?

Alternatively what is the daddy of can openers?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

All can openers are made for left and right handers. Just take off the handle and move the hinge to the other side.

From a fellow lefty

bruneep

Just buy those with ring pull openers.

Oh hang on…

Klunk
    Free Member

army surplus issue

or one of these if you’re a wino

spot
    Free Member

seems to be easier for lefties

stevied
    Free Member

Army surplus = best can opener ever ^

P-Jay
    Free Member

MagiCan type ones are ambidextrous aren’t they? I’m right handed buy my right arms is knackered so I tend to have to work as South Paw for stuff like this.

They’re not great openers, they wear out after a year or so and usually you end up with a tiny sliver of lable floating about, usually in your soup, but they’re easy to use with either hand.

Ring pulls FTW, even if I have to lift them from the can with a knife to get going, see knackered arm above.

MrPottatoHead

Ok I must be truly odd then cause I don’t do it like that bloke in the picture up there. I’d have opener in my right hand, positioned on the left hand side of the can, and my left hand turning anti-clockwise.

antimony
    Free Member

Can you not just visit your local Leftorium?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Is this you?

P-Jay
    Free Member

MrPottatoHead – Member

Ok I must be truly odd then cause I don’t do it like that bloke in the picture up there. I’d have opener in my right hand, positioned on the left hand side of the can, and my left hand turning anti-clockwise.

The Guy in the pic is using a MagiCan type openner, they work on top like the pic, you can hold it with either hand and turn it with the other.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I’ve been using a rat pack one for the past fifteen years.

unovolo
    Free Member

You want one of these

Makes opening cans quite easy

scotroutes

Starter handle is awkward for lefties though….

CountZero

I’ve bought any number of different can openers in recent years, from the cheap ‘butterfly’ openers up to quite expensive ones, and none seem to consistently open all cans; most just seem to completely bugger up the edge of the can, leaving nasty thin, sharp bits sticking out. The only one I’ve found that really works is one of those US Army ones that I’ve had for years, although a recent acquisition of a battery-operated one that you just place on the can top seems to work, amazingly.
    I really think the construction of cans has changed, and don’t seem to open like they used to.

scruff9252

Starter handle is awkward for lefties though….

Not if you start it like this

onandon
    Free Member

You eat things from cans. Blurrgh

Flaperon

I’m right handed. Don’t think I’ve ever successfully opened a can using the old fashioned kind that clamp to the side of the can and chop the lid out.

Idiot proof ezy-grip for me, or even better, ring pull.

Cougar

I knew this was a left-handed issue before I opened the thread.

I used to use some sort of sinister voodoo when it came to can openers, arms crossed at the wrist. Putting the opener horizontally (like Spot’s photo only with a regular can opener) beat that out of me.

A better question might be, what’s a non-shit can opener? (Cos mine’s buggered.) Brabantia?

DezB
    Free Member

I just learned to use my right hand for things that are awkward left handed (eg. scissors).
    Have to check my can opener with my son, see if its any good for lefties. Its a Fackelmann.

scotroutes

🙂

Cougar

Yes, that wasn’t accidental. (-:

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Can openers…is it just me?’ is closed to new replies.