Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone have a Nexus 5?
  • Jamie
    Free Member

iPhone 4 is getting a bit creaky, and the N5 looks like a decent priced sim-free option direct from Google.

Has anyone got one, in either colour, and can offer an real world insight, or possible deal breakers?

traildog
    Free Member

There is another thread which goes into quite a bit of detail. I’ve got one and like it. Fantastic screen and quick enough. Camera could be better and is slow to focus, apparently this is a software issue and is being fixed. Some people have reported issues playing music but I’ve not found anything yet. My main issue with it is the speaker is very quiet, to the point where you cannot hear the phone ring when outside.
    Overall I like the phone though and at nearly 300 quid less against the iPhone for something arguably as good.
    Nexus are for phone geeks who like to tinker, do if you like a polished end product then it may not be for you.

Edit to add I mean the external volume. Calls sound clear and people say they can hear me OK, so that’s one better than an iPhone(which are terrible phones IMHO)

Jamie
    Free Member

What is the battery life like? A few online reviews have stated they struggle to get through a day….which seems a bit alarmist, but would be nice to get through a day before having to charge.

nickjb
    Free Member

Here you go (including some iPhone comparisons) http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/nexus-5

daveh
    Free Member

Guardian review is pretty much spot on.

Battery life average, camera good, everything else super!

Jamie
    Free Member

Battery life average

If average gets me a day I reckon I’ll take a punt.

*waves goodbye to £££ of iOS apps*

…unless anyone has an iPhone 5 for sale for less than than £300 8)

daveh
    Free Member

Well the £300 extra buys you an extra 12 minutes!

Lazgoat
    Free Member

I desperately want one but the Play Store is quoting 3weeks to delivery. I tried one in a Carphone Warehouse and it was fantastic, but they only have the 16Gb versions Sim free. O2 have the 32Gb ones but they’re on contact only.

I wouldn’t say the Nexus 5 is for tinkerers, you just get vanilla Android and KitKat is super fast and full of Google’s features, love them or hate them.

allthepies
    Free Member

They’re android phones without all the crap so fine for geeks and non-geeks alike. No tinkering required.

Jamie
    Free Member

I desperately want one but the Play Store is quoting 3weeks to delivery

The white one, in both sizes, ships next week.

Unless you’re like me and really not a fan of white, even white backed, phones.

climbingkev
    Free Member

On it now, love it. It’s bare bones which makes it mega quick, the downside being a little bit less polish that the regular manufacturers skins add…HTC, in my case. For example when you share a YouTube video it defaults to gmail…. no options for SMS,facebook and the like. Likewise I liked the way my very old HTC put people’s facebook profile pics into google contacts. There’s third party app solutions to all these which are better than manufacturers skins once set up. I love it, but also like to tinker.

muggomagic

That stuff about android phones being for tinkerers is old hat. Android is very different to the days of éclair. KitKat is very polished as are Samsung’s touchwiz and HTC’s sense.
    All with the added benefits of being able to tinker if you wish.
    I think you would only regret it if some of the apps you regularly use aren’t available on android.

colinimrod

Lazgoat I ordered a 32gb at lunchtime today. At that time Google Play quoted “ships from warehouse 22/11”. Received a “shipped” and will be with you in 1 day 4 hours later. He who dares Rodney.

Jamie
    Free Member

Lazgoat I ordered a 32gb at lunchtime today. At that time Google Play quoted “ships from warehouse 22/11”. Received a “shipped” and will be with you in 1 day 4 hours later. He who dares Rodney.

Black or white?

I think you would only regret it if some of the apps you regularly use aren’t available on android.

Well, I am fairly sure that is going to be the case. Hopefully there will be decent alternatives…..which don’t look like crap.

traildog
    Free Member

Well, I am finding I have to tinker for it to feel more polished. The example given above is one. Lack of ring tones another, Choice of stock applications to watch videos or edit photos. Us speech to get OK Google to work. Etc.
    I am struggling to get through a day on the battery but I am using it heavily. Seems similar to iPhone though.
    Like I say, the lack of volume is a major downer and making me consider returning it. Speaker phone is OK, but music and ringing is terrible!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone have a Nexus 5?’ is closed to new replies.