Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anybody Know if the VW T5 84ps is the same engine as the 102ps?
  • Mugboo

If so i assume i can just buy the 84 and get it chipped up?

tragically1969
    Free Member

I dont think it is but you can still get it remapped, might have differences as according to Pendle Performance you wont get the 85 (goes to 116) up to where you can get the 104 (goes to 130), have a look here:

http://www.pendleperformance.com/

steveh

It's the same engine block and major components but I believe othe 84 has a fixed vane turbo and the 102 a variable vane. I wouldn't worry about chipping it up to 110ish bhp but be wary of some of the companies who claim to get it up to 145bhp.

I've used shires performance tuning for a couple of vans previously with very good results, will be about £250 (ebay ads are cheap than their web prices). Don't just get one of the cheap plug in chip devices as they tend to just fool the engine into thinking it's running cold and hence overfuel.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Thats why i recommended Pendle, they only do proper remaps, the guys over at http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk have nothing but good things to say about them.

I have been on the search for a T5 2.5 130 Kombi for months now, beginning to think it may be easier to get the 104 and remap it to 130 as there are a few more 104's round at reasonbale prices

coffeeking
    Free Member

IIRC the injectors are different also, but I have no experience with the engine, only from chatting to a friend who re-nozzled his injectors and remapped his.

steveh

Pendle are good too, I've spoken to them but not used them personally. SP tend to be cheaper as well.

I had a 2.5 kombi for a year, great van but now sadly gone. They are pretty expensive generally, though i only paid 6.6k for mine at 4 years/105k. You just have to keep your eyes open.

stumpy01

I don't know for a fact on the particular engine you mention, but generally with power upgrades such as this it will be a different turbo & probably injectors. Perhaps even a larger intercooler & different manifold…..

I think the main thing to look for when getting a re-map is to see how much the hike in torque is, as it can take it past the rating for your clutch.
    I know that the engine in my car can be re-mapped from 130bhp to about 170 without too much bother, and they generally peg back the increase in torque from ~230lbft to ~280lbft. It will go higher, but the clutch is only rated to 300.
    As it is, there are people who get the remap done & 2 weeks later there clutch is slipping & they end up paying £750 for an uprated Sachs clutch. That's the main thing putting me off getting it done.

molgrips
    Free Member

Different injectors, intercooler and turbo could mean that the lower power model will have less potential. The higher power model would also have a uprated clutch as stumpy says. What's the difference in price between the two models?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Also bare in mind that if the van is less than 3 years old and you remap you will void the warranty. I'm currently on the lookout for a 130 LWB

cbike
    Free Member

martin at http://www.vantuner.co.uk for realistic remapping and advice. I have met him and he's done 2 of my pals vans to great effect. better torque and fuel economy. Mines not really worth doing until i have fixed its faults!

He can also do remaps by post for certain vehicles but the best option is where he will spend a day getting it just right. If you need to return to factory spec he can do that too.

Mugboo

Thanks for the info.

I'm on the lookout for a T5 and want the 102/104 but thought if it was just a remap i might include the 84 in my search. I'm in no rush so i might wait for the right one.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anybody Know if the VW T5 84ps is the same engine as the 102ps?’ is closed to new replies.