Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Any cycling-related books been published this year?
  • cinnamon_girl

Last year there were loads but keen to read more adventure type books rather than a cyclist’s life story. Any recommendations please?

Thanks. 🙂

theotherjonv

Neither of the sort you mentioned, but I enjoyed Ned Boulting’s book from the inside of the tour, and he has a new one that’s on my Xmas list. Interesting and funny.

StirlingCrispin

Faster: The Obsession, Science and Luck Behind the World’s Fastest Cyclists by Michael Hutchinson (2014) is an excellent read even if you don’t race. Witty, entertaining and very informative.

turboferret

Another vote for Faster too.

I appear to have bought a few cycling/adventure related books recently – the past 6 months shows this on my Kindle account 🙂

Life Cycles – A London bike courier decided to cycle around the world. 169 days later, he came back with a world record.
    Julian Sayarer

Roads Were Not Built For Cars: How cyclists were the first to push for good roads & became the pioneers of motoring
    Carlton Reid, Martin Rickerd, Edmund King

The Monuments: The Grit and the Glory of Cycling’s Greatest One-day Races
    Peter Cossins

We Were Young and Carefree: The Autobiography of Laurent Fignon
    Laurent Fignon, William Fotheringham

Mid-life Cyclists
    Chris McHutchison, Neil Blundell

Crossing Europe on a Bike Called Reggie
    Andrew P. Sykes

Cycle of Lies: The Fall of Lance Armstrong
    Juliet Macur

The Cycling Anthology: Volume One
    Lionel Birnie, Ellis Bacon

Breaking The Chain: Drugs and Cycling – The True Story
    Willy Voet

Along The Med on a Bike Called Reggie
    Andrew P. Sykes

8,000 Miles Across Alaska: A Runner’s Journeys on the Iditarod Trail
    Jill Homer

Arctic Glass: Six Years of Adventure in Alaska and Beyond
    Jill Homer

Ghost Trails: Journeys Through a Lifetime
    Jill Homer

Be Brave, Be Strong: A Journey Across the Great Divide
    Jill Homer

One Day Ahead: A Tour de France Misadventure
    Richard Grady

The Hour
    Michael Hutchinson

The Race to Truth: Blowing the whistle on Lance Armstrong and cycling’s doping culture
    Emma O’Reilly

Shadows on the Road: Life at the Heart of the Peloton, from US Postal to Team Sky
    Michael Barry

The Climb: The Autobiography
    Chris Froome

Sean Yates: It’s All About the Bike: My Autobiography
    Sean Yates

Not read them all yet, and they aren’t all from this year, but a few to get started with perhaps!

Cheers, Rich

kayla1
    Free Member

Fat Tire Flyer is very good 😀 If you don’t want to immediately go out and throw yourself down a hill on a SS clunker after reading it I’ll eat my hat 😆

cinnamon_girl

Thanks very much all especially Rich with his huge list! 😀

butcher

Mid-life Cyclists
    Chris McHutchison, Neil Blundell

Quite enjoyed this. Very much the life of your average cycling enthusiast, very much like Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder, which I think has been well read on this forum.

Chris Froome book I enjoyed too. But obviously very much about Chris Froome.

ninfan
    Free Member

I’d have to plug this one coz I wrote some of it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1001-Bikes-Dream-Riding-Before/dp/1844037630/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417281653&sr=8-1&keywords=1001+bikes

Perfect bathroom reading 🙂

And as mentioned, Roads were not built for cars by Carlton Reid is very good

turboferret

Apparently I bought a few in the previous 18 months too 😀

Gironimo!: Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy
    Tim Moore

Lanterne Rouge: The Last Man in the Tour de France
    Max Leonard

Domestique: The Real-life Ups and Downs of a Tour Pro
    Charly Wegelius

Accidental Ironman
    Martyn Brunt

I’m Here To Win: A World Champion’s Advice for Peak Performance
    Chris McCormack

Inside Team Sky
    David Walsh

Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong
    David Walsh

Swim, Bike, Run, Laugh!:A Lighthearted Look at the Serious Sport of Triathlon and the Ironman Experience
    Dan Madson

Strength and Conditioning for Triathlon: The 4th Discipline
    Mark Jarvis

The Perfect Race
    Charles Howard

Road to Endorphia: Running and Ranting from John O’Groats to Land’s End
    Joe Donnachie

Ironman:Jam, Gels and Isotonic
    Mark Kennedy

Never Wipe Your Ass with a Squirrel: A trail running, ultramarathon, and wilderness survival guide for weird folks
    Jason Robillard

The Long Run (Kindle Single)
    Mishka Shubaly

Run or Die
    Jornet Kilian

Run!
    Dean Karnazes

My Life on the Run: The Wit, Wisdom, and Insights of a Road Racing Icon
    Bart Yasso, Amby Burfoot

IronFit Strength Training and Nutrition for Endurance Athletes: Time Efficient Training Secrets for Breakthrough Fitness
    Don Fink, Melanie Fink

Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness
    Jurek, Scott
    Order Details Printable Order Summary

Qualifying for Kona: The Road to Ironman Triathlon World Championship in Hawaii
    Raymond Britt

Finding Ultra: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World’s Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself
    Rich Roll

Marathon
    Hal Higdon

Zen and the Art of Running: The Path to Making Peace with Your Pace
    Larry Shapiro

Iron War: Two Incredible Athletes. One Epic Rivalry. The Greatest Race of All Time.
    Matt Fitzgerald

Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness
    Scott Jurek, Steve Friedman

Hunger: The Sean Kelly Autobiography
    Sean Kelly

Racing Hard
    William Fotheringham

On the Road Bike: The Search For a Nation’s Cycling Soul
    Ned Boulting

Wide-Eyed and Legless: Inside the Tour de France
    Jeff Connor

Merckx: Half Man, Half Bike
    William Fotheringham

Sex, Lies and Handlebar Tape: The Remarkable Life of Jacques Anquetil, the First Five-Times Winner of the Tour de France
    Paul Howard

Put Me Back On My Bike: In Search of Tom Simpson (Yellow Jersey Cycling Classics)
    William Fotheringham

Fallen Angel: The Passion of Fausto Coppi (Yellow Jersey Cycling Classics)
    William Fotheringham

In Search of Robert Millar: Unravelling the Mystery Surrounding Britain’s Most Successful Tour de France Cyclist: Unravelling the Mystery Surrounding Britain’s Most Successful Tour De France Cyclist
    Richard Moore

Racing Hard
    William Fotheringham

Ravings of a Runner
    Greg May

Mud, Sweat and Gears: Cycling From Land’s End to John O’Groats (Via the Pub)
    Ellie Bennett

Cycling’s Greatest Misadventures
    Erich Schweikher, Erich Schweikher, Paul Diamond

Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner
    Dean Karnazes

One Man and LEJOG
    Antony Last

Swim, Bike, Run: Our Triathlon Story
    Alistair Brownlee, Jonathan Brownlee

Born to Run: The hidden tribe, the ultra-runners, and the greatest race the world has never seen
    Christopher McDougall

The Death of Marco Pantani: A Biography
    Matt Rendell

Paris-Roubaix: The Inside Story. All the bumps of cycling’s cobbled classic.
    Les Woodland

Eddy Merckx: The Cannibal
    Daniel Friebe

Chris Hoy: The Autobiography
    Chris Hoy

Cheers, Rich

turboferret

Oh, have to plug another STW’s work DavidB: Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder a great selection of articles.

Cheers, Rich

DavidB
    Free Member

Thank you Rich but can I also massively plug “Faster” by Michael Hutchinson which I read in 3 sittings it was so interesting.

turboferret

I think I may need help for an unhealthy Kindle habit 😯

project
    Free Member

Ned Boultings new book , 101 damnations, yep thats how is spelt, looks good.

project
    Free Member

“The Giant Singletrack book of Answers” will be out soon.

Followed by the “Singletrack, im always right and youre wrong compendium”

Confessions of a Moderator,looks intresting,

as does,

Tyres for any sort of weather,

and,

Cameroon and how a bike forum defeated the Conservatives,

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Given you’re asking for recommendations as well as just a list of people’s Kindle content…

Wegelius’ book is very good and novel in not being the story of a winner or a doping confessional.

Gironimo was entertaining but probably the worst (or least entertaining) Tim Moore book I’ve read.

Fallen Angel equally interesting as a story about a country and a time as it is about a legendary cyclist.

Seven Deadly Sins adds new material and a new perspective to an overtold story.

The Race to Truth by Emma O’Reilly, another LA story. Munqe Chick read it and really enjoyed it, reckons O’Reilly is far more pragmatic than you’d think and feels as hurt by journalists who used and burned her as by LA’s attitude.

Roule Britannia by William Foringtham is crap. A lazily updated and re-hashed book with new chapters tacked on covering more recent riders and cashing in on Wiggomania, but with no editing of older chapters (so the Robert Millar chapter describes him in the present tense as Britains most successful Tour rider).

At Speed, Cav’s second autobiography, is written in a conversational manner and also entertaining if taken for what it is (a story of recent events, the rest of his life’s already been done). Not worth hardback prices, we got it out of the library (old skool).

Etape by Richard Moore is a recent release, not read it yet, expecting to receive it this year!

MoreCashThanDash

Two best I’ve read this year were At Speed and Mid-Life Cyclists.

If you’ve not read it, Geoff Thomas’ Riding Through the Storm is a good read.

I think I want to read the one about not wiping your ass with a squirrel. I can see it being a great companion piece to “How to Shit in the Woods”

winston
    Free Member

Not a new book but not sure anyone has mentioned ‘cycling home from Siberia’ by Rob Lilwall.

No big fanfare and written in a fairly understated sometimes almost irritatingly too humble way but…wow.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Its not new but i cant believe its not on the list already! Tyler Hamilton – The Secret Race. If you haven’t read it then you surely must!

amplebrew
    cinnamon_girl

Blimey, how do you lot find the time to read AND post on ‘here??

Thanks again for the suggestions, it was really ideas for my kids pressie to me. I’m kinda done in with books on road riding, got 3 for Xmas last year, did treat myself to Seven Deadly Sins which had me hooked but didn’t know that Emma O’Reilly had written a book.

Didn’t know that DavidB is famous, will read your website properly. Looks interesting though!

Feeling that I’m needing a different perspective with cycling books hence the mention of travel.

Thanks again!

butcher

If you haven’t read DavidB’s book, definitely do. There’s not many books that you can so easily relate to. And like I say, Mid-life cyclists is similar. Both up there with my favourite reads in the past couple of years.

RepackRider
    Free Member

Fat Tire Flyer is very good If you don’t want to immediately go out and throw yourself down a hill on a SS clunker after reading it I’ll eat my hat

Thanks for the compliment. Wall Street Journal liked it also. I had the good fortune of having my work reviewed in the WSJ by a friend, Rob Penn, who wrote “It’s All About the Bike,” and produced the BBC programme, “The Ride of My Life,” in which I get about ten minutes out of the hour show.

I have some favourite bike books, not all of them recent. However I concur that Tyler Hamilton’s “Secret Race” is pretty good. If you want to go all the way back to last year, Andy Homan did a biography of a top six-day racer at the turn of the 19th Century, “Life in the Slipstream: the Bobby Walthour Jr. Story.”

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Any cycling-related books been published this year?’ is closed to new replies.