Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anti-chainsuck plate on a bridgeless stayed Inbred
  • PJay
    Free Member

Following on from the earlier discussion on chainsuck and the bridgeless stayed Inbreds I went back and checked on my 853. I’ve not have ‘suck for well over a year and under the armoury of zipties the small flat dint in the chainstay looks exactly the same, so I guess there’s nothing to worry about (after all if folks are ‘dinting’ their own stays with hammers and D clamps I guess that they must be fairly robust).

However, I fished out a second hand anti-chainsuck plate (Ringle) that I picked up on ebay a while back, I didn’t fit it originally as the extra wide Inbred stays made it awkard. However I popped in on and got a reasonable fit as below (not quite as tight as I’d have liked and it took a fair bit of twisting to get a reasonable fit and keep the upper clamp out of the chainrings).

So, a few questions, firstly looking at the images is it actually going to stop chainsuck if it happens. My main concern is the the plate rests on the welds of the gussets on the stays and I don’t want to crack or weaked these (the paint gets chipped but then I guess it would), how tight should I do it up to prevent the plate twisting into the rings without stressing the gusset welds/tubes.

Considering that my steel rings seem to have solved my initial chainsuck problems and I haven’t had it in an age, is the plate just an ugly, pointless waste of space (and weight), should I just armour the area with zipties again and leave it at that?

retro83
    Free Member

I used to have one of those plates on my bike, but the chain kept getting stuck really badly in it. In the end I just replaced all the rings with better wearing ones and covered the stay with helicopter tape. Prevention was far more effective than cure in my case.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah what retro83 says. My old Principia suffered badly with chainsuck and the plate made it worse. Chain got jammed, or it just moved the plate. Ended up using a zip-tie like protector similar to what you have in the pics.

brant
    Free Member

I have a solution to all this, I’ll show you all soon.

There’s a clue on my site now.

http://www.shedfire.com/

PJay
    Free Member

Brant, I did think of emailing you to ask about the plate sitting on the chainstay gusset welds, but remembered that you’re not working for On-One anymore.

There was talk of you producing an anti-chainsuck solution a while back after asking for piccies of people’s chainsuck on here. If you’ve got a solution to fitting something to a bridgeless stayed Inbred then I’ll have one (any timescales?), it sounds interesting!

brant
    Free Member

If you’ve got a solution to fitting something to a bridgeless stayed Inbred then I’ll have one (any timescales?), it sounds interesting!

no. Not a retrofit (well, unless you have a welder and a hacksaw to hand).

brant
    Free Member

My main concern is the the plate rests on the welds of the gussets on the stays and I don’t want to crack or weaked these

you won’t weaken them. It’s fine there.

PJay
    Free Member

Ah, nevermind, back the the ugly Ringle plate or zipties then.

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Hmm, not much on the site, but what a great bit ‘plugging’ !!

PJay
    Free Member

My main concern is the the plate rests on the welds of the gussets on the stays and I don’t want to crack or weaked these

you won’t weaken them. It’s fine there.

Thanks for that Brant, the plate is bolted down fairly tight and the welds are slightly proud of the rest of the chainstay.

Christowkid
    Free Member

Mr Bontrager had plates like that on the Race and his Privateer. They are excellent, can’t think why more people don’t build them it. I know it’d cost but the benefts are massive.
    ( Err Brant….???)
    He had 2 screw ‘bottle cage’ type holes nd they bolted into that. The edge that went next to the chairing had a movable ‘edge’ to them to tweak them so’s they came up close to the rings. Brilliant. never had chainsuck for years…..
    Q

PJay
    Free Member

Well, after looking at the plate again and the answers here it does rather look like an accident waiting to happen, or rather a large, badly fitting chunk of aluminium waiting to be twisted into the drivechain around its single bolt. So it’s come off again.

I do seem to have cured my chainsuck, at least in the condition I ride in (and the chainstay looks non the worse after a year’s use with the initial damage) so hopefully it’ll remain a bad memory but the stay’s now armoured up with innertube, a bit of webbing and zipties just in case; it’s ugly but there you go.

I suppose that you can’t expect to keep a well ridden bike pristine anyway and one day, if the money’s there, I might fancy something new. I would be interested in hearing about any usable chainsuck solutions though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anti-chainsuck plate on a bridgeless stayed Inbred’ is closed to new replies.