Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Another Purbeck question
  • ollybus
    Free Member

Found this on STW.
    Anyone ridden it? Would it be a good intro into the Purbecks? Will be riding with a less experienced rider so don’t want anything too gnarly!

purbeckian
    Free Member

Neither route has anything difficult on it. For me, the medium route done anti-clockwise would be the better intro to the Purbecks because it takes you along the ridge with better views. The long route is ok but I don’t think would feel as “special”.

If doing the medium route then just past Lower Bushey Farm where you join the road I’d miss out Corfe unless you want a break. Go straight through the farm and up the landrover track marked on the map to the phone mast. This cuts off some road riding plus the climb from Corfe to the mast is hard. The 2 mile descent from the obelisk to Old Harry is the bit that always brings a massive smile to the faces of visitors I take riding in the area because of the way you appear to be riding towards the sea with the land falling away. Absolute gold.

ollybus
    Free Member

Thanks Purbeckian, medium route, anti clockwise it is then. Cant wait!

purbeckian
    Free Member

Enjoy – hope the sun shines and the wind drops for you.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Here’s some Purbeck footage I shot at Fatbike Day last year. Not the same route but hopefully enough of a taster to put you in the right mood.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKTN6Cqtyt8[/video]

IdleJon

I had a very pleasant weekend down there, courtesy of STW, a couple of years ago.

A Tuesday Treats winner reports – Poole Hustling

ollybus
    Free Member

Finally got around to riding the Purbecks on Saturday. It was a beautiful day for a ride. We did the STW medium loop in an anticlockwise direction. The first half is beautiful woodland double track, very gentle and ideal for the beginner.
    The second half kicks up onto the whaleback of nine barrow down its a great climb giving beautiful views over the sea. Unfortunately we had to miss out the last climb / decent to Old Harry as we were running short of time. Instead returning by road back into Studland.

40mpg

What Purbeckian says 🙂

For a Big Day Out, I usually do pretty much the two routes combined in a big figure of eight, with a link from Corfe to Kingston up the bridleway just West of both. It is a big ride though! And always with a late stop at the Square and Compass at Worth Matravers. And a visit to Charlie the Bikemonger if he’s in.

Lats Saturday me and the missus caught the steam train from Corfe to Swanage and walked back over the downs, absolutley lovely day and can never tire of teh views. Although she did tire of tales of ‘I’ve ridden up that’ or ‘thats a cracking ride down there’ 😳

purbeckian
    Free Member

Glad you enjoyed the ride. A bit of a shame you had to miss out the descent to Old Harry but gives you something new to look forwards to another time perhaps 🙂

ollybus
    Free Member

Thanks Purbeckian. Yes, I was sorry to miss the last section, but by this point Mrs Ollybus had had enough of the big descents 😕 and was getting concerned the car would be ticketed. I’m really hoping to return soon as the riding, walking and paddleboarding on Poole harbour were excellent.

ollybus
    Free Member

Slightly alarming was trying to fix a puncture whilst being attacked by wood ants. Ouch!

Muke
    Free Member

Swanage SSUK

[video]https://youtu.be/zuO1Y_hq_kY[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/ZqBv1U7E8Yw[/video]

jambalaya
    Free Member

riding, walking and paddleboarding on Poole harbour

You can walk and ride on water ! There’s a job vacancy for you

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Another Purbeck question’ is closed to new replies.