Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Aich or Haich for H?
  • kayak23

Some people say ‘aich’ for the letter H, some people say ‘haich’, who is in the wrong?

Personally, I don’t like haich and think aich is right. Haich smacks of phonetics and infantile ways of recalling letters until old enough to say them properly.

john_drummer
    Free Member

aich.

Haich is for people who say “we happre-ended the suspect”

sputnik
    Free Member

Use ‘aich’ myself, but I’m South African so some might be of the opinion that I can’t speak proper Ingrish.

ourmaninthenorth

The word is “aitch”. It’s found in the dictionary.

“Correct” pronunciation is pretty easy to deduce….

anonymouse
    Free Member

Aitch.

Garry_Lager

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c13fdSP80IY[/video]

oddjob
    Free Member

Very good clip that one 😀

IanMunro
    Free Member

Aitch.
    We don’t pronounce –

F Feff
    N Nenn
    S Sess
    W Wouble-you.

etc.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

In NI the way its pronouced is normally reflective of a persons background/school they attended. Generally those who attended a Protestant school say aich and a RC school haich. Still don’t know why

rkk01
    Free Member

W Wouble-you

Its a double “u” in Welsh 😉

Dobble tveh in German, I believe

mintimperial

I used to say “Haitch” because I’m from Huddersfield and that’s how we say it round here. Then I married a pernickety southerner and she whinged at me about it so much that I unconsciously shifted to saying “Aitch” instead. I am thoroughly ashamed of this.

“Aitch” is the received pronunciation or standard English pronunciation of the letter ‘H’. Some people labour under the misapprehension that received pronunciation is absolutely correct and that alternative variants are all somehow wrong. These people are mistaken and you should treat everything they say on matters of English usage with deep suspicion.

stgeorge

Aitch.

“Haitch” is for baby talk and Northerners 😈

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s definitely and categorically ‘aitch’. No debate there.

GrahamS

Do you stay in a hotel or an hotel? 😉

ourmaninthenorth

“Aitch” is the received pronunciation or standard English pronunciation of the letter ‘H’.

No. Like I said above, “aitch” is a word found in the dictionary. With that spelling, it’s pronunciation ought to be fairly unequivocal.

ourmaninthenorth

Do you stay in a hotel or an hotel?

I don’t need to affect a French pronunciation, so avoid all that an “aitch” business.

I love regional variations in our language, and support fully pride in accent and idiom and words and all that communication.

But “aitch” is not something to give in on.

headfirst
    Free Member

I used to say “Haitch” because I’m from Huddersfield

I live in Huddersfield, I’d say most folk pronounce it ‘Haitch’, but drop the the ‘H’ at the beginning…

Matt24k
    Free Member

The only way is Aitch.

mintimperial

I live in Huddersfield, I’d say most folk pronounce it ‘Haitch’, but drop the the ‘H’ at the beginning…

It’s certainly died out over the years, most non-standard UK accents have been eroded in a similar way over time. I personally think it’s a bit sad. Find some proper locals who’ve been here for a few decades and you’ll still hear it.

No. Like I said above, “aitch” is a word found in the dictionary. With that spelling, it’s pronunciation ought to be fairly unequivocal.

Just because something is “in the dictionary” (which one?) doesn’t make it correct. It may indicate a standard (in certain contexts), that’s all. There is no absolute right or wrong when dealing with language, there is only appropriate usage in context.

Drac

The only way is Aitch.

I thought it was up?

rocketman
    Free Member

Bloke at work is named Horace & everyone calls him Aitch

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

brown.

ourmaninthenorth

Just because something is “in the dictionary” (which one?) doesn’t make it correct.

No, but the OED (inter alia) is persuasive.

mintimperial

No, but the OED (inter alia) is persuasive.

No, it’s not. See my previous comments.

GrahamS

everyone calls him Aitch

Fond of sunglasses?

Bez

All haitchers need at least a punch in the chops. From Chuck Norris.

mintimperial

Chuck Norris comes anywhere near my regional differentiations I’ll **** him one right in the gerund.

kayak23

I live in Huddersfield, I’d say most folk pronounce it ‘Haitch’

How ironic that most of those same people probably say ‘uddersfield…
    🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Definitely aitch. Drives me nuts that people on the BBC can pronounce all the names and places under the sun and have a whole department to provide said advice, but none seem to be able to get the basics right!

AndyP
    Free Member

“Haitch” is for baby talk and Northerners
    As a northerner, I find the suggestion that I should say ‘haitch’ extremely offensive. It’s aitch, as any fule kno.

*almost* as annoying as ‘sicth’ instead of ‘sixth’, and any use of ‘for free’.
    Hanging offences both, although for the latter you should have to hang whilst being force-fed dog poo.

kayak23

Don’t get me started on Expresso….. 😕

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Why is it that those who drop their “h”s always (wrongly) call it haitch? That’s always puzzled me.

seosamh77
    Free Member

ae (struggling to spell A?)
    bee
    cee
    dee
    ee
    eff
    jee
    hay-tch
    eye
    j-eye
    kay
    el
    em
    en
    oh
    pee
    cue
    arrrrr
    es
    tee
    you
    vee
    double-you
    ex
    why
    zed.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Plus it’s a hospital, a hotel, but i’d say an honour, an hour.

sparkyrhino

I dont know if it’s just me however i say aitch or haitch it sounds the same.
    Have to agree with the lack of accents these days typically student types they all sound the same. And say “like” far too much.
    Eh God Im A Grumpy Old T””t

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Aich or Haich for H?’ is closed to new replies.