Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Ae – red route – opinions ?
  • iainc

I rode there a bit around 10 yrs ago, and was back yesterday for first time since, I think, 2007. Quite enjoyed it, although does seem a bit of a long up and fast back down…..

Certainly a much quieter alternative to the eastern Stanes 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I like it, but apparently i’m wrong cos xc loops shouldn’t be hard work apparently.

iainc

^^^ I like climbing, so enjoyed it too. There is one left hand corner steep up that defeated me initially tho managed it on second try. (somewhere after the first river crossing climb I think). Omega Man was ok, but I’m too much of a mincer to get the most out of it 😳

munrobiker
    Free Member

The worst trail centre in Britain. I rode it last when I was taking XC racing very seriously and was pretty darn fit and hated almost all of it. Omega Man, which everyone seems to say is OK, was just a load of blown out jumps on some dull singletrack.

Readers of STW, ignore the above posters, save yourselves…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If you’re going to Ae, go ride the off piste stuff instead, there’s some fantastic riding there if you do a bit of legwork first, or go out on one of the shop nightrides on a tuesday night.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Omega man is probably the bit i like least, it promises downhill but actually has lots of climbing in it. I like from the start pretty much to the base of the new climb. It’s no kirroughtree but it’s alright, chuck in the blender or whatever it’s called.

iainc

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

If you’re going to Ae, go ride the off piste stuff instead, there’s some fantastic riding there if you do a bit of legwork first, or go out on one of the shop nightrides on a tuesday night.

Nobeer – I just went there seeing as normal natural stuff was sodden yesterday. You missed a blast at Drumlanrig with Dave on Fri… 🙂

richmtb

I’ve always enjoyed it.

Last rode it about 2 years ago

Its got some fun sections, its got some boring fireroad too, but overall I’ve had a good day out whenever I’ve been.

I know it gets regularly slated but outside of the Tweed Valley what’s better?

Kiroughtree is the best part of 2:30 drive from Glasgow so its trails might be awesome, but If i’m spending that long in the car I can go to Fort Bill and do an uplift day

Mabie? Nice forest but the trails seem quite tame these days.

Dalbeattie? Just as much fireroad as Ae, some nice technical features but some so-so sections too

So I’m not sure why Ae gets such bad press

BoardinBob

It got debated recently. Just trundling round the main red route is mind numbingly boring but there’s a wealth of off-piste stuff down there that doesn’t get anywhere near the same level of publicity as the tweed valley stuff, though some of the locals do get a bit shirty if you dare mention the off piste stuff.

iainc

but outside of the Tweed Valley what’s better?

rich, having ridden both Ae and Drumlanrig at the weekend I know the answer 🙂

munrobiker
    Free Member

I know it gets regularly slated but outside of the Tweed Valley what’s better?

Trail centres? Well, that I’ve ridden-

Drumlanrig
    Dalbeattie
    Kirroughtree
    Mabie
    Laggan
    Golspie
    Witches Trails
    Carron Valley
    Kielder
    Cwmcarn
    Afan
    Llandegla
    Coed Y Brenin
    Machynlleth
    Dalby
    Sherwood Pines
    Lee Quarry
    Gisburn
    Whinlatter
    Grizedale
    Cannock

When would you like me to stop?

The DH is OK, though.

Northwind

I think its main problem is, it’s alright- but it’s near to other trail centres that are better than alright. It’s bottom of my d&g riding queue which basically means I never go there except for races (the offpiste and downhill is mint)

One thing is, it’s a really nice place- especially down near the river, with the big trees. Most FC forests are basically crap, dank and dark, you feel like you might meet a nazgul, at Ae you might meet an elf. Or a load of random ploughs, alternatively.

But I don’t think I’ll ever go “drumlanrig, or Mabie, or Dalbeattie, or exploring, or Ae… Yes, I’ll do Ae red”

thestabiliser
    Free Member

If Scotland wasn’t so crap for mountain bilking you wouldn’t be stuck having to ride these trail centres.

😀

richmtb

trail centres? Well, that I’ve ridden-

Big list followed

Sorry my bad, should probably have pointed out, within a reasonable driving distance of the central belt. I’d ride Golspie every weekend but its a fair trek!

Mind you you’ve listed Grizedale (utter shite) and Carron Valley (short and dull) so not sure if serious or trolling 😀

iainc

thestabiliser – Member

If Scotland wasn’t so crap for mountain bilking you wouldn’t be stuck having to ride these trail centres.

indeed :

was back yesterday for first time since, I think, 2007

it has been a very wet few days here, so much more sustainable to keep off the local natural stuff while it’s sodden 🙂

failedengineer

Kielder better than Ae? Is there another forest with the same name?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nobeer – I just went there seeing as normal natural stuff was sodden yesterday. You missed a blast at Drumlanrig with Dave on Fri…

Nope – you missed a lovely evening riding my local trails culminating in a couple of beers at the Stair inn!

We must have just missed the rain at the weekend, everywhere down here is pretty dry.

iainc

🙂

munrobiker
    Free Member

Genuine serious. Ae is awful. And Grizedale and Carron aren’t the worst on that list by some margin!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Carron valley is dung, if it’s not the worst then I don’t fancy anything you reckon is worse!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

The worst trail centre in Britain.

I was of this opinion until a couple of months back when we rode it for the first time in years and its very different (and Gisburn would have to get a hell of a lot better to pass that crown onto somewhere else!). Had an absolute blast – it’d feature again if we were in the area… Also tried a small section of off-piste stuff – a super steep drop about 2/3s of the way down Omega Man down to the right… Real nice and tech. Would be interested in finding more of that kinda stuff!

Northwind

DaveyBoyWonder – Member

Also tried a small section of off-piste stuff – a super steep drop about 2/3s of the way down Omega Man down to the right..

It’s a real shame that’s not easier to get back to tbh, as far as I know you have to either use the push up or go way back to the wind turbine climb. Brilliant wee descent. There’s offpisteys all over the place but as far as I know most of the big runs are accessed from the top of the uplift road- which is easy to get to etc but gets reeeeaal old after a few times 🙂

richmtb

One thing is, it’s a really nice place- especially down near the river, with the big trees. Most FC forests are basically crap, dank and dark, you feel like you might meet a nazgul, at Ae you might meet an elf. Or a load of random ploughs, alternatively.

This, even if you find the riding a bit uninspiring compared to the awesome gnarfest that is… er… Carron Valley apparently, it is actually a nice place to ride.

Now normally i’m the sort of weapons grade gnarpoon that mortal men quiver in the presence of due to my sheer rad awesomenessness.

Despite this, very occasionally, I actually like to just go somewhere nice to ride with the wife. Its challenging for her and still fun for me.

iainc

Now normally i’m the sort of weapons grade gnarpoon that mortal men quiver in the presence of due to my sheer rad awesomenessness.

now, now, just remember some of us actually know you 🙂

kimbers

ukge is there this weekend and they always find some brilliant off piste stuff

richmtb

now, now, just remember some of us actually know you

😀

I was pretty sure anyone that knows me would realise I wasn’t being altogether serious!

iainc

really ? 🙂

anyway, that river crossing bit, looking back up the valley from the bridge yesterday, in 25 degree sunshine – quite lovely indeed.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Just trundling round the main red route”

Well there’s your problem right there. Is it the best? No. Is it the worst? No?

prawny

It’s ok, I’m sat outside our holiday cottage now and I can see the windfarm, but I won’t be bothering this year. I rode it last year and enjoyed the climbing, but the descents were too rough for my on my crappy hard tail, and omega man was very disappointing after watching some decent runs on YouTube.

That said, I rode some of Dalbeattie this morning and liked that even less. Far too nadgery, I’m going to make a compilation of go pro footage of me dabbing and swearing

chrismac

We enjoyed it last year and will be riding it next week as part of a few days north of the Boarder.

This might not be popular but after a week at the 4 western staines and a week in Peebles then we preferred the western 4. Tweed valley may have lots of great natural stuff and the red at Innerleithen is excellent. But Glentress is a bit dull. The red it 1 long climb mainly on fire road upto spooky woods and then a decent decent back again. The black was much better

stevie750

Cafe is good, enjoyed a really nice bacon and egg roll on Saturday.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

imo it has some good bits BUT not enough to travel any distance for, some of it is plain dull and other bits just don’t seem to work (bmx’y style jumpy bit out the back)for instance.

it could be great with a proper makeover 🙂 all IMO of course 😉

Spin
    Free Member

I like climbing, so enjoyed it too

I didn’t think it had much proper climbing.

stevious

My abiding memory of it was that a lot of the surface was really energy-sapping and without much exciting stuff to ride. Does an FS bike make it more enjoyable?

sofabear
    Free Member

chrismac – totally agree about Glentress red and black.

I’ve only ridden a few trail centres (CyB and Afan mainly) but I feel safe stating that Gisburn and Ae Forest must be better than the shite that is Bedgebury (nr. Tonbridge, Kent). The only descent is a fire road. 🙁

Spin
    Free Member

My abiding memory of it was that a lot of the surface was really energy-sapping and without much exciting stuff to ride.

That was my criticism.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I like ae. Def better than mabie and dalbeattie. Rode it on sunday. Yes its rough but thats part of the appeal to me. And i like climbing… it aint ktree, laggan or comrie but nowt else really is. As for the guy saying cv is better thats crazy.

legend
    Free Member

But Glentress is a bit dull. The red it 1 long climb mainly on fire road upto spooky

Eh? It really isn’t

I do like a good Ae thread. Went for my bi-annual visit a few weeks ago. Played on some ok off-piste stuff but **** me the Red’s still shit, and the Blue……… 😯

Northwind

chrismac – Member

But Glentress is a bit dull. The red it 1 long climb mainly on fire road upto spooky woods and then a decent decent back again.

There’s hardly any fire road on the GT climb, unless you choose to ignore the signs and the singletrack climb 😕 You can get to the top on fire roads but it’s grim. And it’s only a single descent if you skip bits of the lap, hitsquad hill etc.

Trekster

Can you send your comments to the people who may be able to change things please?
    http://scotland.forestry.gov.uk/managing/plans-and-strategies/land-management-plans/1211-forest-of-ae
    I believe I was the only person(mtb)who attended!!
    There is such a feeling in the area that FC are allowing the trails to deteriorate to a point they will eventually close some.
    The reps at the “consultation” afternoon appeared to only be interested in what trees, vegetation etc people wanted to see planted. Recreation seemed to be a nuisance 🙄

If you are on FB or care to mail them details can be found here;
    http://www.7stanesmountainbiking.com/

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Ae – red route – opinions ?’ is closed to new replies.