Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Adverts on this site?
  • Earl
    Free Member

I was looking at vitamins last night. Cleared by browsing history a few times since then but even now my screen is full of vit ads.

How does it still know??????

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Your browsing history is tracked online not just by your browser. Ads are targeted from that. Just google something random to buy then look at facebook on a different computer.

TheBrick
    Free Member

google, who does google think you are and see what they have inferred from your browsing.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

And now the bloody adverts come in a big box between the thread and the post section.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Go preimer, it’s a lot less adverty 😉

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Yep the only thing the bloody great big advert does for me is make me think I don’t want buy a Tripster ATR 😈

wwaswas

make me think I don’t want buy a Tripster ATR

I don’t think you’re convincing even yourself with that argument…

jimjam
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

And now the bloody adverts come in a big box between the thread and the post section.

This about one step away from having a pop up over the reply box or something else you would see on some crappy file share site or something. Not good at all.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Yup, the perpetual and massive ATR advert makes me want to go and buy a Kona Sutra.

epicsteve
    Free Member

STW is by far the most advert blighted site of any that I regularly use.

wwaswas

Jef Wachowchow – you know you can switch it off in your user profile, don’t you?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I didn’t, no. Will have a look, thanks.

‘EDIT’ Ooh, it works! Thank you.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

It tracks via cookies, you need to clear those. Clearing the browsing data will do nothing.

robdob
    Free Member

I know they need the ads to keep running but maybe they could get some better paid ones are they taking over now……
    Takes ages to load on a phone now.

Mark

Robdob, that ad is one of the best payers on the site. It’s highly targeted. It’s actually a re targeted ad which means it’s based on sites you have visited recently. The ads are vital to our existence. But for £1.49 you can turn them all off for a month. For £9.99 by direct debit you can turn them off for a year. We also throw in access to not just 8 issues but every issue we’ve published in over a decade for that price too. Plus cheaper stuff and other deals, a free calendar (you pay postage only) and our sincere appreciation. Are we asking too much for all that?
    The ads aren’t there to annoy you into subscribing. They are their to pay wages. Honestly!

Chip in half a pint of beer and turn the ads off for a month. We think that’s pretty fair.

jimjam
    Free Member

Mark –

Chip in half a pint of beer and turn the ads off for a month. We think that’s pretty fair.

It’s actually hampering the navigation and useability of the site though. As per my earlier post, it’s as bad as having a floating pop up obscuring the relevant parts of the site you need to see, so it’s positioning is extremely cynical. Since it’s moved to where it currently is, the post formatting options won’t load in my browser. By placing it as it now is, you are basically saying, pay us, or we will make this forum horrible to use.

Whilst you might think it’s reasonable to force or bully people into needing to pay to have ads removed to restore a degree user friendliness to the forum you might want to consider future users who visit the site. Presumably you would want the forum to be inviting to new visitors? Apart from a few hundred regular pedants there must be a relatively high turnover of active forum members. If new potential posters come along and see some nasty, ad ridden, dodgy looking site, they won’t bother getting involved in debates about how to overtake, stoves and mud tyres, and ultimately the forum dies either way.

Awaits imminent ban.

GregMay
    Free Member

What Mark said.

Edukator
    Free Member

Use duckduckgo if you don’t like Google tracking you.

I’m surprised that ads from the likes of chain reaction aren’t integrated into the page code with STW techs making sure there is no malicious code in them. I’m quite happy with discrete and safe adverts.

As for the STW mobile experience, I don’t access this or any other ad-swamped site from my phone. I don’t watch films on RTL TV either.

IHN

I get the need for adverts, but the one above the reply box is taking the piss a little

GrahamS

Use duckduckgo if you don’t like Google tracking you.

That won’t make much odds. It’s not just about what you search for in a search engine.

e.g. You find a website via DuckDuckGo and go to it. But that website has a Google+ widget on it, or Google Ads, or Google Search, or embedded Google Maps etc etc so now Google knows you were there.

Likewise for Facebook et al (even if you don’t have a Facebook account).

nickc

I understand the ads, and I try to click through from here when i need to, but even if the tripster on was moved below the reply box that’d be a start!!

It’s pretty annoying

midlifecrashes

Will somebody fix the Tripster Ad!

No, not take it away, it’s a proper shiny niche expensive bike, exactly what STW wants. It’s the scratches on the fork around the hole. Come on Kinesis, give it a polish before the photo, or pop a fresh fork in it.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I’m still using IE8 which appears to be too ancient to allow a lot of the modernly formatted ads to display. 😀

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

As for the STW mobile experience…

For me this is the actual issue, not the fact there are ads here. The mobile experience is pretty poor (no offence, but I suspect you guys already know that). I’d actually have thought that a good mobile experience with better mobile optimised ads would result in higher performing ads and greater revenue, not just a better user experience. But of course the cost to get the site mobile optimised in the first place may be prohibitive.

Edukator
    Free Member

I know, Graham. That why I’m one of the 23% and rising who only ever click on ads which are part of the page code such as the one for the STW advent calendar up there. If it can be done for an advent calendar it can be done for a long-term partner such as CRC.

Mark

Jimjam, why would I ban you? You are expressing a legitimate opinion.
    Making comparisons with other sites is moot really. Our business is as it is and the financial demands we face are unique to us – a single company with a single printed publication and a website. We aren’t deliberately trying to bully anyone into subscribing. Subscribing replaces one income stream with another.
    Currently 0.4% of our monthly site visitors subscribe and they get to turn off the ads if they want. It’s £1.49 for a month or £1.25/month if you pay annually (And you get a free gift with that) or less if you take up our direct debit £9.99 offer right now (83p/month).
    Are we charging too much? Is that the problem?

MrSmith
    Free Member

If it was one third the size like a banner it would be fine, I’m quite happy to see ads and have huge ones down the side on non-mobile viewing but that new one is just too big. I don’t click through on anything now, I know it’s free but that’s a whole screens worth!

GrahamS

I know, Graham. That why I’m one of the 23% and rising who only ever click on ads which are part of the page code

That still doesn’t prevent Google/Facebook et al from tracking you sadly.

The very fact that there are Google/Facebook/whatever served widgets on a page (or in the code) allows them to track you. You don’t actually need to click on anything.

But at least you are not rewarding them for it.

Mark

Oh and here’s the big quandry about mobile ads.. They pay a fraction of the revenues compared to desktop ads currently. They just don’t get the same engagement as desktop ads. Ads inside App digital issues of mags get lots of engagement however.
    Grit.cx is our mobile optimised site, so we do know how to do it. The reason we haven’t switched to a dynamic, mobile friendly site here is because we would stand to lose tens of thousands in ad revenue in a few months. Considering the fact we operated last year with a 2% profit margin that would drop us into a whole heap of trouble that would affect jobs here.
    But, we aren’t sticking with the desktop only site – we are actually working really quite hard to develop a site that works on all platforms really well but also doesn’t instantly cripple us financially as soon as we turn it on. The ads you see at the moment are paying for that development. Grit.cx is a test-bed for ideas we are planning to bring over here. Grit doesn’t have a large revenue stream that we depend on and so we can make changes and try new things there with an eye to what we can do here without the risk of huge financial costs.
    In the meantime, the cost of less than half a pint of beer solves all your problems. It just then comes down to whether or not you consider your use of the site to be worth that much.

jimjam
    Free Member

Mark – Resident Grumpy

Jimjam, why would I ban you? You are expressing a legitimate opinion.
    Making comparisons with other sites is moot really. Our business is as it is and the financial demands we face are unique to us – a single company with a single printed publication and a website. We aren’t deliberately trying to bully anyone into subscribing. Subscribing replaces one income stream with another.
    Currently 0.4% of our monthly site visitors subscribe and they get to turn off the ads if they want. It’s £1.49 for a month or £1.25/month if you pay annually (And you get a free gift with that) or less if you take up our direct debit £9.99 offer right now (83p/month).
    Are we charging too much? Is that the problem?

I don’t think the cost is too much. I just don’t think a forum is something I am used to paying for, or really want to. I regularly use maybe four other forums, I’ve probably been registered to maybe 20 in my internet lifetime. I’ve never paid for any of them.

The other thing, which i accept is partly my responsibility, is that signing up to annual online subscriptions wich (presumably) automatically renew is a way of frittering hundreds of pounds out of your account each year. I’ve probably got about £80 – £100 per annum coming out each year for various things, most of which I’ve forgotten.

Ultimately though, I don’t really read the mag, I’ve bought a few issues but it’s not for me. So digital issues isn’t something I would benefit from. I view the forum as both an entertaining way to waste time, and as importantly a resource. With regards the resource, I feel that I contribute more than I detract from the bike forum. I try to keep my posts relatively polite, concise and informative, drawing on a lifetime of mountain biking, and many years selling bikes. I rarely ever ask questions there, but do en devour to inform people. So I’m paying by adding my (dubious and debatable) knowledge to the forum. The chat forum is a different kettle of fish of course.

I have no problems at all with ads, even the video ones. But when they are actually hampering the navigation and usability of the site it becomes a bit much. I’m sure it’s not intentional but I often end up hitting the banner ad for crc, in trying to click on a forum button before the site loads. That doesn’t bother me, since it’s my mistake. But ham stringing the useability is a bridge too far.

IHN

Where’s the £9.99 deal then?

plyphon
    Free Member

Premier + a naughty word I can’t say as it’s got an auto-censor on it here,

The only adverts I see are for the STW Calendar and grit.cx.

The other thing, which i accept is partly my responsibility, is that signing up to annual online subscriptions wich (presumably) automatically renew is a way of frittering hundreds of pounds out of your account each year. I’ve probably got about £80 – £100 per annum coming out each year for various things, most of which I’ve forgotten.

Partly? I’d say that’s “Fully”. With internet banking it’s easy to cancel direct debits you no longer want.

Mark

“I view the forum as both an entertaining way to waste time, and as importantly a resource”

Then it’s worth something then?

You contribute and as such you are present when ads are served and we, who have the bills to pay, are compensated for that. The price of entry is either the ads that are served (Which is why we have the rule about promoting adblocking) or your subs.

The control to turn off autorenew is in your account settings when you subscribe. It’s a tick box. There’s no minimum term so it simply comes down to if you think £1.49 gives you enough value if it allows you to use the forum in super quick, no ads mode.

There’s no guns to anyone’s heads.. everything is entirely optional. We only want people to hand over money if they think it’s worth it to them. We only want visitors to the site if they think it’s worth it to come here. This is or stall laid out before you. Feel free to browse or not. If the traffic falls and the revenue drops then we will know that we’ve got it wrong. But November just gone showed a 23% year on year increase in site traffic so we aren’t at that point yet.

plyphon
    Free Member

It is quite sad when someone providing a free product has to defend their means of income on the internet.

Mark as a side, there are some fantastic resources online on how to create a user experience that increased retention, conversion and revenue in these situations. I’ll try to find some.

annebr
    Free Member

How do I get the £9.99 DD offer?

hora
    Free Member

I was looking at ferry crossing prices. I clicked out, back in and of course the prices went up. So I cleared out the cookies- nope still ramped up. CCleaner- deep clean. Still ramped up. Different pc elsewhere- hey presto old price again.

I think its not just cookies- companies are now smart – they track area/I.P address ramping up of sudden interest. I bet your I/P address now shows you like vitamins, nude dwarf ladies and bike brakes forever.

wwaswas

I bet your I/P address now shows you like vitamins, nude dwarf ladies and bike brakes forever

Except for most home users IP addresses are refreshed on a fairly regular basis. So do I get ads for the hearing aids and stair lifts some old codger in Dundee was browsing for last week?

Mark

9.99 sub ad is at the top of the page every so often. So much for advertising eh! 🙂

Linky

http://singletrackworld.com/sub-offers/

GrahamS

9.99 sub ad is at the top of the page every so often. So much for advertising eh!

It doesn’t appear as one of the sub options on the Premier page though – which may cause some confusion.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I lost my P a coule of days ago as the card the DD was linked to expired.

On the one hand the mag should be for me (niche bikes, bikepacking, days out in the hills etc) but I just don’t read it, possibly because the kit reviews are 90% for astronomicaly priced kit, bikes I can kind of accept as it’s always the s-works, advance, pro, elite, whatever version that gets reviewed and it’s a fair extrapolation down to the £1500 bikes people actualy buy, but when it’s month after month of £300 jackets and £1000 forks it’s neither interesting nor relavent! Those are things that get bought on a ~3 yearly basis at most, where are the pedals, gloves, tyres, grips, etc that make up the bulk of MBUK reviews each month? A page devoted to a jacket, camera bag of pair of forks I’ll never use or buy is pointless, especialy as most of it’s waffle.

I won’t be renewing my paper subscription as in any given month I didn’t read half the content, and oftent hat put me off even bothering to sift through for the interesting stuff.

Might consider the digital sub if back issues get converted to kindle format rather than .pdf . When looking at a .pdf it only lets you see the whole page, or zoom into a 1/4 of it, so if a column is written in the center of a page both verticaly and horisontaly it’s unreadable.

At least the site is neat and tidy and doesn’t look like mtbr.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Adverts on this site?’ is closed to new replies.