Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • adjusting chainline on external bearing cranks using spacers
  • edwin
    Free Member

Hi

i have a rohloff (rear hub) with a chainline of 54mm. my bottom bracket shell is a standard 68mm.

i am intrested in getting the truvativ stylo crank, the chainline for the middle ring is 51mm. Assuming a 5mm gap between chainrings this would put the outer ring out at 56mm.

As i have 68mm bottom bracket shell i will need to use the two spacers (i assume they are 2.5mm each) my question is can i put both of these spacers on one side to change either the middle or outer chainring chainline to 53.5mm depending apon on which side a put the spacers.

has any body used spcaers like this to change there chainline

or are there any reason that anybody can think of why this would’nt work, the only issue i can think of is reducing the amount of the bearing cup thread into bottom bracket shell by a furhter 2.5mm

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

you normally use 3 spacers on a 68mm shell, generally 2 on the driveside, one non driveside.

So you can set it up how you like

Ticklinjock

I Tried putting all the spacers to non drive side. Chainline was perfect, but I wasn’t happy with the lack of threads in that side, so fitted some spacers to the chainring and moved one BB spacer back.

edwin
    Free Member

i think the shimano cranks have three spacers, the truvativ ones are shown as having only two on instalation instructions.

how much thread would you say there is on gxp bottom bracket cups

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘adjusting chainline on external bearing cranks using spacers’ is closed to new replies.