• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 5,441 through 5,480 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • ferrals
    Free Member

I don’t get this six nations (pre/post rwc) are meaningless stuff! Meaningless to who? Definately not to 99.9% of the fans, definately not to the players or the coaches, so meaningless only to some sad individuals with some arbitrary yardstick on when a rugby game becomes legitimate?

DanW
    Free Member

Farrell or Haskell

Cole would be my pick

I expect Wales to improve massively from what we’ve seen so far

I don’t see that they have any more to give. It’s not like they are going to run in 5 tries past England all of a sudden. They have been executing their (limited) game plan almost to perfection and it’ll be more of the same from them IMO

anagallis_arvensis

I expect Wales to improve massively from what we’ve seen so far

Jambafact, its not based on reality.

Wales unchanged 15. Charteris on bench. I’d have been tempted to start him, Webb replaces Lloyd Williams and Paul James replaces Gethin.

DaRC_L

so meaningless only to some sad individuals with some arbitrary yardstick on when a rugby game becomes legitimate?

and also want to move rugby to become a summer sport, obvs not heard of 7s 😉
    I can’t have the 6N clashing with the TDF, it’s bad enough that the end of the 6N clashes with the spring classics.

Kryton57

Ford will start at 10.

I’m not so sure. EJ’s retained 5 centres in the Squad, including Burrell (I retract my earlier comment about him playing badly).

We know Ford is a defensive weakness, so surely EJ does too and we need to counter DD. Farrell has to be on the pitch for kicking duties. So could it be Farrell, Burrell & JJ to start with Tuliagi for impact in the last 20 – the latter is indicative of the current EJ game strategy.

Scamper
    Free Member

England will get thumped. My reasoning, my spies say the team only managed 5 minutes in the outdoor pool at Penny Hill y’day before deciding it was too cold. Big girls 🙂

DanW
    Free Member

Burrell & JJ

Not a combo I think Wales will enjoy defending against… Tuliagi or Farrell is much more up their street…. but if Farrell was directing things it would make me a little happier, although he obviously brings the penalty points to the table. It’s a Twickers anyway so the question is not who will win, but “England by how many” 😉 Conservative win or total humiliation? 😳

Kryton57

Conservative win or total humiliation

I think thats a good call. England to win by 3-5 points, or lose by 20.

I spoke to some Welsh people yesterday, they have the same level of anxiety as we do.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Scamps – but they went into the ice room * in the spa to talk tactic instead

* ice wall and crushed ice to smother yourself in. Feels great.

dantsw13

So – Manu is in the match day 23!!! Goode misses out.

Brooke’s in for Hill too

Kryton57

I don’t see Daly or Manu starting, so that’s Roberts running at 10/12 all afternoon…. If Roberts flattens Farrell, he takes out our best kicker too.

*worries*

wrecker
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with farrell’s tackling. Haskell will need to gain a yard in pace if he’s to cover up the defensive hole called George Ford. JD2 could have some fun running at JJ too.
    On the bright side, I expect the English scrum to be dominant.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with farrell’s tackling

When it’s not illegally high and late, it’s just high. Not an ideal technique against the Doctor.

DanW
    Free Member

On the bright side, I expect the English scrum to be dominant.

Are you sure? Joubert is refereeing so the entire game will have an added twist of unpredictability 😕

DanW
    Free Member

When it’s not illegally high and late, it’s just high. Not an ideal technique against the Doctor.

Don’t worry, he’ll growl a lot and pull some faces too which always helps

wrecker
    Free Member

🙄 Nothing wrong with Farrell’s tackling at all. Tackles go wrong on occasion. Ask Warburton.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

…and the good Dr has a penchant for going on the high side of legal too!

He wrote a good piece in the Torygraph today though.

anagallis_arvensis

expect the English scrum to be dominant.

Based on?
    Last game we had Gethin and Francis as starting props. This time we have Evans and Samson who is starting to come back to form they have gone pretty well so far. I would expect England to have the edge but dont see it as a dominant weapon. Could be wrong though.

Kryton57

Could be wrong though.

Not to be argumentative, but my opinion is that you are. We made a mess of Samson Lee last time, same again here.

Your back 3 are better on the floor though, we are penalty magnets, and the rumor is Itoje is benched for Launchbury which I think is a mistake. Itoje should be in for his floor work and speed, Launchbury 2nd half/ 20 mins if we have a lead and his bulk helps with some smashing Walkers backwards.

I see Biggar’s been making a nuisance of himself in the papers, lets see how long he lasts on the pitch – he’ll be a target for sure.

Still a close call whatever our respective opinions are.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I would expect England to have the edge

Don’t know about edge, but Marler will be all over the side.

anagallis_arvensis

We made a mess of Samson Lee last time, same again here.

Samson didnt start last time and was just coming back from a snapped achilies when he did play later in the game. He was very off the pace.

anagallis_arvensis

Cant see due to the arrow but I’m preety sure thats Francis. We managed to get away with him and gethin last time. This weeks front row is a lot syronger2

dantsw13

CFH – on your graphic, the Welsh number 1 is doing an almost identical angle, as is the flanker.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Can’t see us being dominant in the scrum, I’d say it’ll be evenly matched. And if Joubert gets it into his head early in the game that Marler is coming in on the angle (which he does tend to do) it could swing the scrum in Wales’ favour.

Kryton57

I thought that earlier. The sensible thing would be to start with Mako, win the scrums and get it into Jouberts head that the Welsh are the problem, then sub to Marler later.

igm

CFH – on your graphic, the Welsh number 1 is doing an almost identical angle, as is the flanker.

No the loose head isn’t and I though flankers could drive in at an angle on their props hip to help keep the prop straight.

Although clearly as s Scot I have no real axe to grind either way, so get on with it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The sensible thing would be to start with Mako, win the scrums

Assumptionist is assumptioning.

wrecker
    Free Member

Based on?

The fact that the english front row are better at scrums? 😀

anagallis_arvensis

When?

Kryton57

Forever.

wrecker
    Free Member

Certainly now. I seem to remember a thing welsh fans liked to do; how many of the english team would make the welsh side. Well if we did the same for the front rows now, none of the welsh players would make the england bench.

anagallis_arvensis

Forever

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dfZnozyd6YE[/video]
    [video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nF5KXo3_5z4[/video]

anagallis_arvensis

The sensible thing would be to start with Mako, win the scrums

I thought scrums were Makos weaker point?

anagallis_arvensis

Wrecker I would take both our Hookers over Cowan-Dickie. He was a a dribbling mess in the world cup.

bigblackshed

Those videos prove two things.

1: All of the strums were a mess
    2: It was all about Mr S Walsh.

wrecker
    Free Member

He was to be fair, he is only in as George is injured and Jones wants to move players on (hence no TY) but he has been quality in the AP and easily held his own in the euro cup games. I hope he gets a crack, he needs exposure at this level.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@CFH and the Welsh 7 (Warburton?) ? You could draw all sorts of arrows on that photo

@Drac we can agree to differ on 6N vs Investec, far more important how we do against Aus, RSA, NZ than say Scotland or Italy. I’ve paid to watch Eng v Italy twice in 20 years (some of that before 6N of course), never saw the point.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

2: It was all about Mr S Walsh.

#dreamboat

wrecker
    Free Member

To be fair that photo, and in particular the arrow is complete bollocks.

DanW
    Free Member

#dreamboat

I’ve no idea what the videos were about as I was lost in his piercing eyes and flowing locks #perfection

Viewing 40 posts - 5,441 through 5,480 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.