• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 5,401 through 5,440 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • namastebuzz
    Free Member

But, Lydiate has certain strengths and skills that make him exceptional at what he does.

That’s the point though – players can excel in the 6N with a limited skillset (good player though Lydiate is).

All Blacks can generally do it all.

anagallis_arvensis

Just for the record:
    Post RWC 2003 Wales/Ireland vs Aus/SA/NZ
    Won 10 Lost 58 Drawn 2
    Wales: Won 3 Lost 38 Drawn 1
    Ireland Won 7 Lost 20 Drawn 1
    Ireland haven’t actually done too badly with 4-4 against SA and 3-5-1 against Australia but it’s still a poor return when you consider how Ireland have had a pretty decent side and both SA/Aus had periods when they were eminently beatable..

All true but it doesnt expain why you think England can win a world cup. Scotland have a better record v aus and sa than wales in recent years. It proves very little.

igm

We only play well against good opposition a_a.

Hence why we’re rubbish in the 6N.

anagallis_arvensis

What about in the last world cup?

Scamper
    Free Member

Jesus, if England fans think England have played well against SH teams in recent seasons, their expectations are lower than I thought.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

All true but it doesnt expain why you think England can win a world cup.

No, it doesn’t but my previous post does. 😉

What those results suggest is that Ireland and Wales, even when they’re pretty good, can’t match up to the SH.

England have been pish against the SH since 2003 with a combined record of 9-33. However, they have greater room for improvement IMHO.

anagallis_arvensis

So to summarise Wales and ireland have been trying their best but england havent really so could be much better?

mindmap3
    Free Member

So to summarise Wales and ireland have been trying their best but england havent really so could be much better?

Er no.

We had a purple patch that ended with us winning the World Cup. There was however no succession planning, so when many of those key players retired and Clive’s ego got bigger RC we were left in a huge hole that we’re still stuck in 13 years later. Whilst we were floundering, the like of Wales and Ireland have got better and appointed some good coaches and have overtaken us. I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel but after so many false dawns I think we’ll be waiting sime more. Not not that but Wakes particularly have found a style of play that suits them and has been successful whereas we’ve faff about between up the jumper and trying to fling it about like last 6N.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Exactly. 😉

DanW
    Free Member
    igm

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    What about in the last world cup?

Going out in a narrow loss against one of the finalists in a game that many (after the game and none before) thought we might have won?

I’ll take that. We could with a following wind, have made the final and been completely humiliated by NZ. Better we went out as we did really. Still miffed by the Aussie penalty and no Scotland penalty at the ruck from the restart though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@dd Head to head records, Ireland ditto. Never made a rwc semi final ? Argentina seem to be their bogy side.

England certainly have been trying to make another final since the last appearance in 2007, we’ve not been good enough. Wales should have won in 2011, that was their big chance with an outstanding side and only having to play NZ in the final

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

6 weeks every year. Once every four years. It’s ok. I get it jamba.

anagallis_arvensis

Going out in a narrow loss against one of the finalists in a game that many (after the game and none before) thought we might have won?

England went out because they lost to Wales at home a game they should have at least drawn. A draw would have gotvthem through!

surfer
    Free Member

I dont think I have ever seen anything as comical and juvenile as that Castro stamp. A premiership wendyballer would be proud of that as his contribution to the fray 😀

anagallis_arvensis

Wales should have won in 2011, that was their big chance with an outstanding side and only having to play NZ in the final

What is the term? Jambafact?
    We lost to SA, France and Aus in that worldcup. We neat Samoa and Ireland. Could have beaten France and played NZ in the final a team we have not beaten since 1953. We played to our level and could have made the final, theres nothing to suggest we could have won it.

DanW
    Free Member

Or… Started too slowly against SA and didn’t finish far off, were robbed of the chance to beat France, sulked about our dear leader and didn’t show up against Aus and would have given NZ a run for their money in the final as the ABs were trying their best to lose to France! Too many what ifs but it was doable with the wind in the right direction:) certainly more doable than it is likely to be for a long time to come which is what got my flippin hopes up at the time… although in reality in was never their WC to win as you say a_a so a fair result in the end. Still, I wouldn’t mind if Wales could go back to playing that sort of attacking rugby with the current standard of defense…

anagallis_arvensis

Priestland and Shane ate the only really differences in attack. The team is much the same apart from Shane, Phillips, Adam and the Bennett. Shane is the only player we havent replaced with a similar standard.

DanW
    Free Member

It is also odd that players like Biggar and Roberts have been some of the form guys for Wales but equally are the style of player that hold a more fluid, attacking game plan back. I’d love to see a 2011 Priestland back again but it doesn’t look like it will happen any time soon.

I’m not sure someone like Morgan is the answer to the missing Shane mojo as a lot of people seem to want but do wonder if 1/2p on the wing (assuming a decent FB alternative) could be close, getting back a smart, fast, niggly runner in the team.

Again though, what 1/2p does so well at fullback in defense pretty much eliminates all the attacking threat that got him first noticed when he broke on to the scene as he has so much work to do at the back. No idea what the solution is and if it was obvious I guess it would have already happened by now!

igm

anagallis_arvensis – Member

England went out because they lost to Wales at home a game they should have at least drawn. A draw would have gotvthem through!

Indeed – but being neither Welsh nor English, I’ll leave others to worry about that.

IdleJon

There’s some ummmm astonishing stuff in there, Albanach.

Albanach
    Free Member

Aye your dead right there John

anagallis_arvensis

The only problem with Francis is that Copsey didnt hit him hard enough!

wrecker
    Free Member

Neil Francis always has something to say and this article about the “doctors” who called for reduced contact in a letter last week is quite interesting reading…
    Brilliant link, thanks for that Albanach.

mefty
    Free Member

I did question the quality of the academics on the other thread, but I didn’t find the additional “colour”.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I’ve read a lot of his pieces over the years – he generally has something of interest to say.

Cheers for the link. 🙂

onehundredthidiot

Just watched saracens Northampton. Never seen a more depressing example of scrummaging. It seemed every scrum was just played for a penalty. Think the stat was 50% led to penalty. Two good teams but little expansive play as it was all about the penalty scrum.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I didn’t find the additional “colour”.

Indeed. Not nice.

Anyway, Lawes is out. That means Lunchboy is a shoo in for man of the match.

Kryton57

Tuilagi good for impact off the bench. Apparently.

anagallis_arvensis

All gone quiet here. You Englanders not confident? Will Tuilagi start and if so who plays 10?

wilko1999
    Free Member

Yep, not confident. I think the Welsh defence will cancel out our attack and the back row will make a mess of our breakdowns. Playing Tuilagi is too much of a gamble. He’s probably currently only fit enough for a bench ‘cameo’ role at international level, but what if he has to come on after 5 minutes? Although I do think he’ll be on the bench come Saturday. However I still think we might just edge it – ever the optimist.

DaRC_L

Yep, not confident.

I started watching Eng v Wal in the 70’s – I think it’s been bred into me 😆 I used to have to answer the phone to my Dad’s mate (with a 70’s non-pc nickname relating to the river in Cardiff)
    “No, sorry, Dad’s out at the moment”

Still at least Steve Walsh has given up refereeing so it stops you Walshmen having that advantage.

wrecker
    Free Member

You Englanders not confident? Will Tuilagi start and if so who plays 10?

No and No.

jambalaya
    Free Member

All gone quiet here. You Englanders not confident? Will Tuilagi start

Its Tuesday, what is there to say. No he’ll come on as sub. Ford will start at 10. It should be a cracking game and as I posted before I expect Wales to improve massively from what we’ve seen so far, as such the result hangs in the balance. England to win the meaningless post RWC 6N but a Grand Slam is far from certain.

DaRC_L

England to win the meaningless post RWC 6N but a Grand Slam is far from certain.

no 6N is meaningless, Autumn internationals are meaningless…

wrecker
    Free Member

no 6N is meaningless, Autumn internationals are meaningless…

? 😯

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

it doesn’t matter who/who is not confident – the only thing that matters is what happens on the pitch

wilko1999
    Free Member

I just can’t decide who will give away the first daft England penalty that will make me bury my head in my hands – Farrell or Haskell?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Back row under pressure…

Viewing 40 posts - 5,401 through 5,440 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.