Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 266 total)
  • 1980s supercars
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

Nice, careful if it’s icy – they can bite you if you drive like a wally.

Anyone make a bike rack for them? 😉

hols2
    Free Member

Don’t think you can call The Shelby Cobra American, Shelby slotted a big US engine in a British car

The first ones were just a British sports car with a Ford small-block. AFAIK, by the time they’d put the big-block engine in, they’d changed so much that it was pretty much a new car, basically an American design, inspired by a British car, built in the UK. It then spawned a huge litter of bastard offspring, many built in the US. Always wished I could get to drive one, apparently quite terrifying even to professional racing drivers.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I did some back to back testing of the F40 and 959. I set a track record in the F40 that I could never get near in the 959*

My older brother had the countach on his wall so to be non-conformist I had the xj220 xjr15 and lotus esprit turbo. Still hanker after the lotus.

Was never a fan of Porsche as a kid but as I get older I’m drawn to an early 911.

These days jags leave me really cold, just dismal things.

*In outrun on the 086 pc.

jimjam
    Free Member

hols2 – Member

The first ones were just a British sports car with a Ford small-block. AFAIK, by the time they’d put the big-block engine in, they’d changed so much that it was pretty much a new car, basically an American design, inspired by a British car, built in the UK. It then spawned a huge litter of bastard offspring, many built in the US. Always wished I could get to drive one, apparently quite terrifying even to professional racing drivers.

Thousands of kit cars about. I’d say a good one would replicate the experience pretty well.

hols2
    Free Member

Thousands of kit cars about. I’d say a good one would replicate the experience pretty well.

Not sure I’m brave enough to try replicating the experience of 180 mph on cross-ply tyres and comedy brakes. Sounded so exciting back when I was 17…

eddiebaby
    Free Member
    gofasterstripes
    Free Member

TheDTs
    Free Member

A mates dad had one of the original Sierra Cosworth hatchbacks. Blooming heck it was bonkers. So was he.
    I remember him racing a Quattro in the *****ng rain on the M4 8O.
    Also the first time my dad and I had a lift to Rossendale from Bristol with them, we left Bristol at 6 am going north, mates dad was telling us about the car, mentioned ABS..dad enquired “whats that?”
    Cue an emergency stop from 120 to 10.. in the middle lane of the deserted M5. Quite impressive at the time.
    Motorways were also a lot less busy.

binners

Sierra Cosworths were nuts. As were the later 90’s younger brothers.

My mate was in the army had never driven, then did one of those army crash courses (no pun intended) where they teach you to drive in a couple of days, then you have your test, which nobody ever fails

He’s without doubt the worst driver i’ve everr been in a car with. So obviously having just passed his test he bought one of these…

We proceeded to spend every weekend ragging it round the country to warehouse parties. I really don’t know how we remained alive 😯

Cougar

A mates dad had one of the original Sierra Cosworth hatchbacks. Blooming heck it was bonkers. So was he.

When I was at college a mate had one of those. Blue & white Ford tiger stripes, flared arches, oversized wheels (which rubbed the arches at full lock). He used to moan that he was continually being stopped by police “because I’m a young black lad in a fancy car.” Obviously nothing at all to do with the fact that he drove like a ****.

onewheelgood

Sorry if I missed it, but if we’re talking 80’s supercars surely we should have mentioned this:

TheDTs
    Free Member

Yes, I remember him saying at the time that the frequent police stops were a bit tiresome. Mostly they just wanted to have a look under the bonnet and check he wasn’t a prat.

928 or 911 would have been on my wall as a kid.

928 apparently went like the clappers but didn’t stop with the same conviction..
    928, Risky Business & Rebecca De Mornay. (Forget about Cruise)

jimjam
    Free Member

TheDTs – Member
    (Forget about Cruise)

How dare you.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

AC 3000ME.

Mad Max’s Motor.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

jimjam
    Free Member

onewheelgood

Then of course there’s this. It’s better in brown because that makes the joke better.

csb

Italian brothers down my road had a 8.32 thema. When it worked, what a noise!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

jimjam
    Free Member

dudeofdoom

Hmmm remember having a white Lamborghini and a black Porsche 930 turbo on my bedroom wall.

Was only having this conversation yesterday in work with a m8.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Had a Countach on my wall. Knew even then they were hideously impractical but god did they look good. I’d have to have a 5000QV though, that is the iconic Countach for me. That black one is a belter though.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/CP7ijUkgc-4[/video]
    I think this needs to be here.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

AND THIS WHY IS THIS NOT HERE ALREADY

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Blimey. 224 posts. Had no idea this would kick off so much.
    Glad I started it.

Finally watched “The Wolf” on the big telly last night. Phwoarr.

MSP

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

^HubbaHubba^

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

^HubbaHubba^

jimjam
    Free Member

As a young lad it always confused me greatly why Aston Martin were so highly regarded when they clearly just made Ford Mustang replicas 😆

sbob
    Free Member

AND THIS WHY IS THIS NOT HERE ALREADY

BECAUSE IT’S NOT A SUPERCAR. AND STOP SHOUTING I’VE ONLY JUST GOT UP.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

How is the R32 not a supercar?

>inb4 bedroom walls

P-Jay
    Free Member

Skyline GTR is a GT car, of sorts.

Same for that big green Aston.

sbob
    Free Member

gofasterstripes – Member

Lay off the crack dude.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Yet the NISMO R32 is faster around a track than many of the cars in this thread. Doesn’t that count?

>GTS?
    Different car… I mean a fast version obviously 🙂

jimjam
    Free Member

gofasterstripes – Member

>inb4 bedroom walls

Supercar is obviously a fairly elastic term but I think these days it’s generally accepted to mean an exotic, very high performance*, very expensive and generally mid engined car. There are lots of terms to define cars, sports car, coupe, GT car, performance car etc.

The R32 Skyline is the coupe version of the saloon Skyline above.

gofasterstripes – Member

Yet the NISMO R32 is faster around a track than many of the cars in this thread. Doesn’t that count?

No because you could modify a Golf or a Fiesta to the nth degree to achieve similar.

Here’s the R31 Skyline.

is that also a super car?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I guess what were drilling down to here is what we find “super” about a car. In my case it would be performance above all else…. Hence props for the MR2 (rather impractical), the AMG Hammer, and the oh-shit-here’s-the-boost Skylines 🙂

>edit the r32 was also a technical tour-de-force

sbob
    Free Member

I mean a fast version obviously

Show me the slow version of the XJ220, the F40, the F1. 💡

The Skyline is nothing like a supercar.

jimjam
    Free Member

gofasterstripes – Member

I guess what were drilling down to here is what we find “super” about a car.

Well that’s okay, that’s your personal definition.
    If you had a 1000bhp Golf and you causally mentioned to some bloke down the pub that you drove a supercar, they probably wouldn’t expect to see a golf. they’d expect something similar to what you find when you do a google image search for the term “supercar”.

The Golf GTI Clubsport S is faster round a circuit than many older supercars but it’ll be a long..loooooooong time before they are fetching a million quid at Sothebys.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I understand your point, but I disagree: the 1000hp golf is an exceptional car, and would exceed the performance of all expectations of normal drivers in all ways. Therefore; it seems logical to call it a super car 🙂 And the ¨bloke down the pub test” seems only to prove that ¨the bloke down the pub¨ is a bit narrow minded 😉

Anyway, it? OK I?l just let you guys post other stuff… Ivé got a 5 hour first drive in my MR2 tomorrow so I? happy enough with that!

sbob
    Free Member

Therefore; it seems logical to call it a super car

It might, if you didn’t know what a supercar was. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 266 total)

The topic ‘1980s supercars’ is closed to new replies.