Home Forums Bike Forum Zwift (MTB) setup

• This topic has 20 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by J-R.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Zwift (MTB) setup
    johnw1984
    Free Member

I’m finally trying to get my fat arse back into gear and shed some weight/get my fitness back.  I’ve been struggling with motivation and actually finding something I’ll stick with and have finally decided to sort out a proper turbo/Zwift setup using my Orbea Alma.

I plan to get a direct drive trainer (Saris H3) and use my Orbea on it as a permanent fixture but I’m looking for setup advice.

I’m thinking of a tablet mounted on the bars running Zwift, or some other interactive software.

Is there anything I should look out for, or any tips on setup?

DrP

Get good airflow over you.

Fans..windows etc.

It’ll make a huge difference to comfort and performance.

DrP

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

Like @DrP good air but also think about what software you use. I started out on Zwift but for me I found Rouvy better.

Both do just ride along and training, but (for me) Rouvy held more interest as you ride in a real life video as opposed to video game (plus Rouvy has gravel / offroad tracks too!) – but we’re all different.

I found going to the MTB meant racing was out as you don’t have the gearing for it, but I did find upping the front chainring helped me to get more from it, again we’re all different.

At the end of the day riding the bike and training is better than not riding the bike.

James

Kuco

Same as  fatbikeandcoffe, when I used a mountain bike on the trainer I stuck the biggest chainring I could fit as you’ll soon spin out.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I think I’ve still got my old fan knocking about, so good shout :)

I’ll have a look at Rouvy too, I’m not too fussed about racing really. It’s just for me to get some sort of mid-week training after work.

I was looking at Apple TV as a way to get Zwift running but it might not be ideal if I decide on other apps? Maybe stick to some sort of tablet?

Saccades
    Free Member

Buy one from a pawnbrokers or something, £30 as a cheap experiment.

Atv, cheap telly and a big fan is a winner for winter evening in shite weather.

johnw1984
    Free Member

CeX has the 1080p 4th gen Apple TV for around £50 and I have a spare TV knocking about.

Just checked and Rouvy is also Apple TV compatible so that’s good!

Think this is the plan then so far :)

mrhoppy

Can the saris take a Zwift cog? Solves all of the gearing issues associated with running an MTB as it gives you a virtual 24 gears. Does mean you’re having to use Zwift but (cost aside) that’s not the worst thing in the world.

weeksy

I run a 44T on the MTB (which never goes outside) and that gives me enough gearing for say 300w at 75 cadence in gear 9 out of 10. When i had a 38T i basically only used the smallest cog.

oikeith

Another recommendation for Apple TV and airflow via fan.

I found the fan I got from Amazon made me too cold initially, but I didnt want to get off the bike to turn it on, I picked up a wifi plug so I could turn it on 5 or 10mins into the ride when it was then needed via my phone.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’m not sure about the Zwift cog, I did see some of the Wahoo ones could be bought with one, but they were mega expensive.

I think I’ll probably get a better fan from Amazon too for the weekend as my old one is quite, well… old.

Gearing is something I guess I’ll figure out, but I won’t be racing really. I just want something interactive to train on during the week.

After a few rides on the newly built gravel bike, I’m starting to come to the conclusion that I just can’t seem to get on with curly bars :(

BoardinBob

My setup. Works perfectly fine. Gearing isnt issue for ERG workouts on Zwift. If you’re doing a general ride you’ll ride at MTB pace rather than road bike pace. Either way it’s all good.

IMG_20240930_191121962

J-R

If you’re doing a general ride you’ll ride at MTB pace rather than road bike pace

Which means without the resistance of MTB tyres you’ll be spinning out at relatively low powers.  Many of us would not consider that “all good”.  In which case the bigger chain ring will fix that, as others have suggested.

mrhoppy

Saris doesn’t work with Zcog unfortunately.

BoardinBob

Which means without the resistance of MTB tyres you’ll be spinning out at relatively low powers

I’ve just finished an hour ride on Zwift. The route finished with a 500m sprint. I hit 500 watts at 50 km/h, and was nowhere near spinning out. That’s with a 30T front chainring.

mrhoppy

What kind of rpm were you hitting to get that? But also 500W isn’t huge power particularly If you do want to have a go at racing.

If you just want to pootle it’s fine to use mtb gearing, but you will be down the small cogs permanently. I even ended up getting rid of my compact road chainrings for standards when they need replacing.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Saris h3 is great for erg workouts.

BoardinBob

500W isn’t huge power particularly If you do want to have a go at racing

Yes, but the statement was

you’ll be spinning out at relatively low powers

Which isn’t correct

J-R

What kind of rpm were you hitting to get that?

?

BoardinBob

?

128rpm

Do you all want to see my biological passport too?

J-R

128rpm

I’d call that spinning out.

Do you all want to see my biological passport too?

Dont be a silly boy now.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.