Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)
  • Your most extravagant/ridiculous purchase?
  • cuberider
    Free Member

My most guilty buy is probably my Gore Alp X Zip Off Jacket – I already had Phantom and Oxygen GT jackets :S Good jacket tho 🙂

flange
    Free Member

Speccy Carbon Camber impulse bought on Friday. I’ve already got a 29er, and an Orange fice and plenty of other bikes. But I wanted one…..

jam-bo

£2000 on a canon 10d + 24-70L lens when I was skint.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

snickers duo. and i didn’t do any excercise.

(am trying to lose weight at the mo)

chakaping
    Free Member

A jumper for £100.

It’s really itchy too.

binners

Probably the second Russian mail-order bride. Svetlana was not impressed

TheFlyingOx

A full carbon, stupid light XC full sus that I’ve owned for 4 years, cost a king’s ransom and I’ve probably done 300 miles on.

It’s nice to know I own one though.

AlexSimon

Hand made titanium wood burning stove for my tentipi. Still value it, but in all honestly we’ve only used 5 times.
    About £550.

patriotpro
    Free Member

A Panasonic 3DO – Paid £400 for the thing only for the format to flop 2 years later. 😯

br
    Free Member

Its only extravagent/ridiculous if it either doesn’t do its intended role or you are just paying someone to do something that you could both do and have the time to do.

So for me it’d be something to do with eating out and/or holidays.

maccruiskeen

a £200 pair of jeans. Over £500 for a circular saw when I already had one that was very much like it. £6k on an MGB GT when walking home with a cash and carry gin hangover, it became my 25000 mile a year only car for about 5 years even though I had to wear more clothes than I could properly move in to drive it in the winter, and being 6’6″ getting out of it I looked like a giraffe being born. My plan had been to by something practical and sporty, perhaps a Punto.

AlexSimon

patriotpro – Member

A Panasonic 3DO – Paid £400 for the thing only for the format to flop 2 years later.
    “Don’t buy a Dodo, buy a… ”

Stoner
    Free Member

Hand made titanium wood burning stove for my tentipi.

Titanium and burning wood in the same object?!!?
    I demand pics!

AlexSimon

Stoner – added one above, but also see here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/thingswelike/page4/

grum
    Free Member

Fox 36 Vans RCs new for £525, or Formula The Ones new for £300. 😳

Stoner
    Free Member

oh thats lovely.
    The colour of the flue is amazing – is it temporary during a burn or permananet?

Im getting one of these
    [img]http://www.belltent.co.uk/image/data/bell_tent/products/stoves_for_tents/truly_portable_wood_burning_stove/truly_portable_wood_burning_stove_3.jpg[/img]

thanks to ski
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/gas-bottle-log-burners#post-4182140

mos

Fox 2013 32 F29 120 CTD-ADJ FIT White 15QR 1.5T.
    £759 for a pair of xc forks FFS.
    mind you, my mate got some 36’s for his 456C & they were nearly a grand!

AlexSimon

The colour from the heat is permanent – changes every time we use it. Looks great.

That’s a great price Stoner (around what we should have paid lol). Enjoy!
    We needed a lightweight one, because we’ve got 36 steps up to our house from the car, but that doesn’t look too heavy. Especially if you separate the pipe from the stove.

messiah
    Free Member

Beautiful Navajo silver bracelet for my wife… what was I thinking.

Stoner
    Free Member

My extravagant purchase

£100 on the best portable shortwave radio in the world – and BBC turned off SW signal in Europe shortly afterwards 🙁

EDIT: Alex, it says it weighs 12Kg. I shall hopefully have my hands on it in a day or so and installing it in my workshop – but also for use when camping.

ski
    Free Member

Sorry Stoner 😉

I have just bought a second hand Clarks wood turning lathe, the chisels are going to cost me more than the lathe!

Going to be turning loads of wooden bar ends 😉

orangeboy
    Free Member

Either £150 for some very light stans disc rotors
    Or more than I will admit for a full ti cassette

Junkyard
    Free Member

Stoner can you post up a review of that or e-mail as i was mighty tempted by it as well

onandon
    Free Member

A 2nd gen Sony Aibo robot dog. Cost just under 2k inc accessories.

Stoner
    Free Member

will do JY

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Couldn’t really afford my Cinelli at the time, but I’m glad I bought it so that’s ok. Just bought a second hed 3, which was a bit silly.

geoffj

Junkyard – Member
    Stoner can you post up a review of that or e-mail as i was mighty tempted by it as well
    POSTED 3 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

+1

It might just satisfy the portable barbecue requirement!

ski
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member

A friend of mine has one which he uses with a campervan and his awning.

Needs feeding constantly, with kindling, but if you are sat with a beer in your other hand its not a big issue apparently 😉

Stacks down to nothing and fits into the back of the camper.

bikebouy
    Free Member

A Nexus 7.

Sold for a New iPad.

Stoner
    Free Member

A friend of mine has one which he uses with a campervan and his awning.

tick

tonyg2003

Speccy Carbon Camber impulse bought on Friday. I’ve already got a 29er, and an Orange fice and plenty of other bikes. But I wanted one…..

I have seem to have a clone! Bought a Speccy Camber Carbon on Saturday. I’ve already got an Orange Five and plenty of other bikes. But I wanted one….

I did a fab 50miles on it on Sunday before the rain really came in. I really must get rid of a bike or two now!

patriotpro
    Free Member

AlexSimon – Member

patriotpro – Member

A Panasonic 3DO – Paid £400 for the thing only for the format to flop 2 years later.

“Don’t buy a Dodo, buy a… ”

Tell me about it 😆 I was only 16 and earning about £30 a week at the time.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Probably a $250 custom made midi controller from the USA. Definitely didn’t need one, but a shed load of well paying dj sets and a few beers later and I one ordered. It’d a lot of fun and looks great, but doesn’t do anything that something half the price would do.

fasthaggis

Gold Alligator Mini I-Link cable set.

I am such a tart(but they do look good) 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

Tuned Kawasaki ZX7R off a mate, just finishing sorting it out and it’ll be for sale as I don’t need 2 bikes and second child is due in 6 weeks.

cheese@4p

Lotus Elise S1
    Oh boy I wish I could have kept it

hjghg5
    Free Member

The Cannondale CAAD10 I’m planning to buy in early November. Not so much that the bike itself is ridiculous, but it is going to live in Spain at my parents house and I live in Yorkshire. It would be far cheaper to hire one when I go out there, but I can afford it so why not have my own and set it up how I want it.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

My £550 quid air rifle at 17 yo.

AlexSimon

wysiwyg – Member

My £550 quid air rifle at 17 yo.
    Wow! – Walnut stock? Engraved?

Northwind

My car… OK, it’s not remotely extravagant- it’s a scabby Mondeo. But it’s fairly ridiculous, because the decision making process went like this:

1) Get something economic and slightly faster than my old Focus 1.8
    2) Get one with service history and as few miles as possible
    3) Buy on condition rather than spec

And then instead I bought the cheapest, scabbiest 2.2 TDCI in the country, purely because it had character. And by character, I mean rattles and dents and twice as many miles and zero service history and a wonky gearbox. But we get on.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘Your most extravagant/ridiculous purchase?’ is closed to new replies.