Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 124 total)
  • Your most extravagant/ridiculous purchase?
  • P20

I’m loving that curta. That looks fabulous, beautiful and if I can ever justify it I’ll be having one

caspian
    Free Member

Should have also gone with the Curta..

88 grand on some shares a year ago. Now worth a little over half.
    43 grand on a tax bill. Was sick in my bin but slept well for paying it. I guess you can buy honesty!
    14 grand on a BMW 330d, will run that into ground
    15 grand on Porsche Carrera 3.2, drove it ten times max, sold to thingy who did phonejacker for a quid less so not too bad a loss that time. Best time in that was having no change in a multistorey and asking a woman on the way out for her used ticket – talk about hairdrier treatment!
    Countless other BS
    Now have kids – now that’s true extravagance!

chris_db
    Free Member

Tag Heuer watch.

It broke within three months, my £7.50 Casio never did.

charliedontsurf

£900 on a tent tipi but it’s my favourite possession

I have far too many surfboards but can justify them all, and love them all. Even it most never get used.

Ktm 950 sm but I needed to get to work on something.

My salsa dos Niner was just me thinking about a new bike, just thinking, not intending to buy a soft tail, especially in alloy. I saved the basket on the salsa trade site. Mrs bikemonger ordered some grips and checked out… And I accidentally had a new bike… Oh well.

Stoner
    Free Member

Mrs bikemonger ordered some grips and checked out… And I accidentally had a new bike… Oh well.

got to try that wheeze on our joint wiggle account…*starts clicking*

stewartc
    Free Member

Not the bike as that gets used so possibly a long weekend in Japan.
    Left London on a Thursday and got back Monday, all to impress an ex, fun but looking back I think I should have just stayed at home.
    I also went through a bespoke suite (5) and shirt phase recently (20), I have no idea why.

velomanic
    Free Member

Tag Heuer ‘Monaco’

TiRed

I spent £19 per day on a car that sat on the drive for five days a week. It’s gone now. And the funds seem to have gone to cycling 🙄

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve just splashed £4.99 (£7.48 with postage) on a saddle pack so that I can go back to those jumpers for goalpost days of riding without a sweaty rucksack..

what a pretentious little tit

ben
    Free Member

It’s a watch for me too: Rolex Submariner.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Things that felt it at the time

Oz Visa – about 2k all in and all I got back was an e-mail
    Shipping out here nearly 4k for 2 blokes to come and steal all my stuff 🙂

charliedontsurf

The curta is amazing… But they can cost a grand…. I know it’s not a competition, but I think the curta is winning: when most phones have an easy to use calculator, most folk don’t need to add up numbers, and it will only ever me marvelled at rather than practically used. Yep, that is lovely and indulgent

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Sums up one side of the “what’s it worth?” argument perfectly: incredible experience, amazing snow, first ascents/decents, polar bear encounter. Now nothing but (pretty damn great) memories and photos.

Compare it to the £2k we spent on the Mondeo: Served us very well, doing it’s job perfectly well 4 years on, still worth a good chunk of that £2k if we sold it.

and in 20 years time you’ll smile telling your grandkids about which…

Small house, small mortgage, used car, and nice bikes and memorable holidays for us. 2 weeks in Thailand in November, learned to dive in Ko Lanta, followed ~6 weeks later by 2 weeks in India with mountainbikekerala.com for my 40th. Extravagant, possibly. Ridiculous, absolutely not.

ononeorange

House!

bencooper
    Free Member

most phones have an easy to use calculator, most folk don’t need to add up numbers, and it will only ever me marvelled at rather than practically used

I actually use mine a reasonable amount – with practice it’s not any slower than an electronic calculator and for some operations it’s faster.

But really, it’s just such a tactile device – when you crank the handle, and hundreds of precision-machined tiny cogs and levers all shuttle about…

cuberider
    Free Member

Feeling so much better about buying that jacket now 😀

People’s indulgences are fascinating!

flange
    Free Member

A GT IT-1 for £1500. Saw it. Wanted it. Sold a bike to get it. Had it for a yearish, used it once properly. Sold it in Feb (to fund a new frame, not bike, a frame!). To Flange. Not sure if he’s even seen it in the flesh yet

Tom!!! I went out on it for the first time a couple of weekends ago, on Sheepskulls in Sheffield. Mate, its amazing. To be fair, my useless article of a brother has been riding it a fair bit before I got up to get it so its had some use. But its amazing and we’ve both agreed that you clearly know what you’re doing regarding fork set up. I’m sure it’ll be for sale soon if you want it back….

klumpy
    Free Member

I heard a tale of a guy who mail ordered the most powerful magnet he could own without a license or contacting an alien race, and then unpacked it on his steel workbench.

And there it remains.

(Apparently once with a lot of levering and swearing he managed to rotate it over by one face.)

toby1

I reckon klumpy has a steel work bench 😉

I have lots that some would consider extravagant and others consider normal. About £800 of speakers on the surround, £750 3d tv, £450 amp, I paid £1100 for the sofa but it’s up to £2k now to buy a new one.

Essentially I spend a lot, but the economy needs it right?

I still spend a fraction of what my sort of step brother does he was in Singapore for the f1 this weekend and has been through a string of high performance cars, his last Ferrari was on the cover of Evo before he plied it into the central reservation of the M4. He’s now in the new xkrs. So it’s all relative!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Sportful rain resistant tights for £80 quid. No idea why I did it. You don’t really seem to notice how wet your lower body gets in bibs in the rain.

rhbrhb
    Free Member

Rapha espresso cup & saucer, £15 and a very slow & gentle ride home with them in my jersey pocket!

aracer
    Free Member

This boat:

For racing on the sea, I live about as far from the sea as it’s possible to get in this country and have raced it less than 10 times in 3 years – usually towards the back of the field (though this photo is of the one event I won in it – the trick is to pick your competition carefully!) It does also get used a handful of times a year when we’re on family holidays at the seaside. Oh and it cost £2k (I could have got one for half the price, but wanted one of these because it’s fractionally faster).

plumber
    Free Member

In July I ordered a King bee Telecaster with bigsby trem

I August I ordered a King bee Strat

Both still about 2-4 months away around £1200 each for a couple of guitars that I’ve never touched, never seen another one of etc.

the interwebz is a cruel bitch sometimes

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Loving the Vespa.

Mine would be my Ti Jones Spaceframe $5900 dollars plus 20% tax and duty – gets used 3 times a week though :))

chipps

One of these:

A 1959 Cadillac Sedan de Ville. 6.2litre V8. Electric everything and 2tons of aceness… And only £5000…
    I LOVED that car… And I sold it for what I paid for it and it became my house deposit, so not all bad (apart from £2000 or so over four years on fixing odd bits that fell off it or needed fixing.) Still don’t regret owning it.

And a Paul Reed Smith McCarty (electric guitar) with a full rosewood neck. I already had two McCartys! But it was a ‘bargain’… Bought in Las Vegas. Or rather I saw it in Ed Roman’s shop, went back to buy it on my way to the airport and they were shut (on a Sunday!) so I ended up phoning up, buying it and getting it sent to a friend in California, where I picked it up six months later…

Car minidisc player owner here too! 🙂

Oh, and I bought Caroline Alexander’s Klein cyclocross bike. I’ve ridden it twice and it’s sat in my house for six years or so. It probably needs a good home or a museum…

glasgowdan
    Free Member

For me it’s perhaps the £60 pepper grinder, or the £700 frame/forks I’ve just bought 🙂 But I’m not very spend-happy in general.

weeksy

I’ve just spent £8000 on a 4×4 i don’t really need !!!!!!

aracer
    Free Member

…or mine could be the £350 I’ve just spent on a secondhand unicycle. Though to be fair, in a way it’s a bargain.

oldboy
    Free Member

£12000 on a pair of ATC SCM 50 Tower active speakers in piano black lacquer. At least they cured my upgrading addiction and sound better than anything I’ve every heard!

soma_rich
    Free Member

Blimey, I have never bought anything as extravagant as you guys 🙁

£500 TV was my only indulgence.

elzorillo
    Free Member

A giant one of these It was about 5 feet tall.

It was on display in the supermarket.. I peeked inside and it was actually full of chocolates. So I popped it in the trolley (took two of us to lift it). Caused quite a stir at the checkout.

Took almost a year to eat them, and that was with every visitor insisting on filling their pocket too.

m1kea
    Free Member

Brought a new shed earlier in the year and needed?? 😉 some (more) power toolz to put in it.

Cue £1200ish on three Festool products and another £500ish on a new router and jigsaw.

In fact come to think of it, I’ve probably spunked more on power tools than anything else, proportionate to their use.

aracer
    Free Member

A giant one of these

You’ve not told us how much it cost…

RustySpanner

elzorillo – Member

A giant one of these It was about 5 feet tall.

It was on display in the supermarket.. I peeked inside and it was actually full of chocolates. So I popped it in the trolley (took two of us to lift it). Caused quite a stir at the checkout.

Took almost a year to eat them, and that was with every visitor insisting on filling their pocket too.

How much?
    Just out of interest, like. 🙂

RustySpanner

Great minds……

Houns

Mini disc Hi Fi, in car unit and personal md player. Check

Thousands spent on Oakleys check

elzorillo
    Free Member

A giant one of these

You’ve not told us how much it cost…

I honestly cant remember.. it was about 10-15 years ago when my company was very successful with some very lucerative multi mi££ion contracts and I was just throwing money away on stupid things 😐

ahaa them was the days.. Living the life with a giant box of chocolates.. You can take the man out the council estate but you cant take the council estate out the man hehehe

bikebouy
    Free Member

I bought some fancy Olive Oil yesterday, £32.00. I can’t quite beleive why I did that.
    Waitrose can be sooo cruel.

vinnyeh

After Lost finished screening there was a big auction of props etc in LA.

My wife bought a pair of Sawyer’s overalls, for a bit over £2k, amongst other stuff..
    As far as I’m aware the box they arrived in has never been opened.

The subject is not a good one to bring up. 😀

earl_brutus

oh boy, im a fool:
    3 custom shop gibsons at £3k each that rarely leave the house ( i play cheap guitars in my band)
    a marshall stack to go with em £800
    3 santa cruz f/sussers all athering dust as i pref the hardtail
    £300 on a pair of wellies, wtf.
    4k on a landrover thats not been used for 12 months and is now a garden ornament
    must be more sensible with my $$$!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘Your most extravagant/ridiculous purchase?’ is closed to new replies.