Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 124 total)
  • Your most extravagant/ridiculous purchase?
  • kiwijohn

A La Croix shirt in Paris. The exchange rate is a lot more favourable now.
    My Ted Baker suit for my wedding was twice as much as my wife’s dress. But I’ve worn it a lot more.

wrecker
    Free Member

£1900 for a new Turner 5 spot frame. Now worth £700 odd. A year old. I’ll never make that mistake again. Reduced or 2nd hand FTW. Don’t believe distributors. They lie.

roger_mellie

A £50 HDMI cable when buying a magic box for the telly. £50 for a cable? What was I thinking?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

AlexSimon – Member

wysiwyg – Member

My £550 quid air rifle at 17 yo.

Wow! – Walnut stock? Engraved? Theoben Taunus, Hyedua stock, that was in 96, then i splashed £300 on a scope.

Rifles still worth £350 ish after all these years. Good thing about guns in general, dont depreciate much.

patriotpro
    Free Member

roger_mellie – Member
    A £50 HDMI cable when buying a magic box for the telly. £50 for a cable? What was I thinking?

That reminds me – I paid £60 for 3metres of QED speaker wire complete with fitted terminals. I convinced myself the price difference was worth the extra.

😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

My Ted Baker suit for my wedding was twice as much as my wife’s dress. But I’ve worn it a lot more.

How many times have you worn your wife’s dress then? 😉

Tracey

S works Enduro

boxfish
    Free Member

A Supernova P-99D HID light. Just before LEDs really took off. Doh. 😳

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Alfa Romeo GTV, didn’t need it, lost a fair chunk of cash handing in my car at the time, then lost loads every month until I sold it.

Still, nice car though…

ton

£4.8k on my 2 current electric bikes. needs must tho i suppose.

Shred
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Tall Boy frame.

Already knew I preferred hard tails, just to prove it again in a very expensive manner.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

£390 on a car that I may only use twice a month.

kiwijohn

How many times have you worn your wife’s dress then?

It’s in a vacuum sealed box in the wardrobe. What do you with the bloody things if you don’t sell them on?
    & I don’t think I’d fit it.

nedrapier

Probably 3 weeks in Greenland. £3.4k plus flights to iceland, insurance etc.

Sums up one side of the “what’s it worth?” argument perfectly: incredible experience, amazing snow, first ascents/decents, polar bear encounter. Now nothing but (pretty damn great) memories and photos.

Compare it to the £2k we spent on the Mondeo: Served us very well, doing it’s job perfectly well 4 years on, still worth a good chunk of that £2k if we sold it.

joolsburger
    Free Member

A Lavardin IT amplifier – several thousand pounds which stayed in my system for about a year before I sold it on for something much cheaper and equally capable.

ads-b
    Free Member

A 2ft high stuffed Wenlock mascot for £50 from the Olympic park. Impulse buy, but still quite like it.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

@kiwijohn

My wife tie-dyed her wedding dress and wore it to Glastonbury.

My suit cost 10 (yes ten) times as much as her dress.

Her jewellery cost 4 times as much as my suit

10 years later and the suit and the jewellery get worn a couple of times a year. The dress went on ebay.

zbonty

I was expecting far more extravagance from the STW massive.

£1150 for an One-one is mine.

Saccades
    Free Member

RC-41 Fighter direct from Pace.

Spent a year working double shifts and wanted to get something nice for myself. Only thing I have ever bought for the bike that was over (well over) £250.

sprocker
    Free Member

Spent my entire terms grant and loan check on a giant ATX1 downhill bike in 1998 which was about £3800, which as a result left me with a massive slate at the corner shop next door for my fags, fanta and crisps which formed the staple part of my diet then.

I was useless on it as well only managed to finish 2 races in 2 years on it.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Howies jeans.

And now I want to buy some Hiuts. 😕

Kuco

It was either 1990 or 91 I brought my first PC, 386sx with 4mb ram and 105mb hard drive £1200

tomhoward

A GT IT-1 for £1500. Saw it. Wanted it. Sold a bike to get it. Had it for a yearish, used it once properly. Sold it in Feb (to fund a new frame, not bike, a frame!). To Flange. Not sure if he’s even seen it in the flesh yet. 😆

I miss it.

muddyground
    Free Member

Oh dear.

1992, £900 on a scabby MG Midget that did 18mpg, which I put into landfill within three months. Never did more than 200 miles in that car.

A Sony Minidisc player for £700 just as the format died.

£9k re-training to be a surveyor just as the housing market collapsed ;¬)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Extravagant purchases…

My Lynskey 456ti frame when On One had a sale before they moved. £700! it replaced my steel summer season

£400 spent on Audiolab amps (pre & power)s/h off Ebay to replace my Rega Brio amp

£100 on some Maui Jim sunglasses to supplement my 2 pairs of Ray Bans

£60 on a Weber BBQ in the sales (was £100) a few months ago to use instead of the BBQ I bought for £10 at the start of the summer

I think I appreciate quality stuff even though its not strictly necessary.

racefaceec90

i bought a 3do also when they came out 😆 definitely paid £400+ for it i think.

also bought a lovely gibson les paul classic premium plus guitar* back in 1996 (cost over £2200).my grandfather put it in his name (whilst i paid off the repayments). a few months later i p/xed it for a technics wsa1 synth (facepalm),which i sold not long after 😳

* i couldn’t play anything on it at all (i mean nothing).
    at least i can just about manage something on my cheap lemon drop now 😉

stufive
    Free Member

Spending 1000 pound on a hard-tail on thur when I’ve already got a orange five am in June and have two road bikes..apparently I’m selfish? I dunno I just don’t get it 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

Possibly my Curta:

Curta Dismantled by Ben Cooper, on Flickr

It’s a pocket mechanical calculator, completely pointless but beautiful. Can’t remember what I spent but it was in the hundreds…

howarthp

A custom Seven ti stem

SME 10 turntable with IV arm and £1k Lyra cartridge

Leica M9 with 50mm f1.4 Summilux lens

Would love some Lightweight Meilenstein SE clinchers too….

Lightweights aside (which are strictly not necessary) I’ve used the other kit lots for years so got much enjoyment from them

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’m looking at a £400 Marantz DVD player just now, probably worth peanuts.

Bought into minidisc big style, hifi unit, 2 players and a car one too. Also peanuts.

Trip to vegas for a wedding, must have been about £2k for 5 days, hated it. Expensive tick box.

Stoner
    Free Member

ben – completely understandable. I think Im in love with the Curta
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYsOi6L_Pw4[/video]

riski4130
    Free Member

Bissel steam mop, OH thinks it was for the wooden floors. Secretly bought it to clean my bike chain, easier than a toothbrush

Ambrose

Cufflinks…

empireofthefun
    Free Member

I’ve wasted a fortune over the years on haircuts. Quite a saving nowadays though, it’s all fell out !

batman11
    Free Member

Gotta be a TI Dekerf Implant frame£2200 for me was around the time they where going to close down so just did it. took 11 months to get it and by the time it was built it was/is the most expensive bike I’ve ever built nearly £6000. quit simply the fastest hardtail I’ve ever ridden on singletrack was a sad day when I sold it but could not justifie having it as a second bike.
    bats.

somafunk

Ben wins it for me so far, i’d love one of those calculator’s just to sit and fondle it and marvel at the engineering trickery.

Me? – sitting my PPl out in Zimbabwe in 94, Was out there for near enough a year visiting my cousin and everyone used their planes to hop about the country from farm to farm, Harare to Vic Falls, pop to Bulawayo for the evening? – why not?. Got offered the chance to do it dirt – dirt cheap (compared to anywhere else that is) as the instructor at Harare Flying club was a friend so thought long and hard for 30 seconds then decided “**** yeah! – that’s for me!” , first flight on my own, or rather in full control on my own at 23 years of age was flying over Victoria Falls, strayed into Zambia a teeny bit…ok…by a rather significant amount and got told off…..big telling off!….One of the most, if not the defining moment of my life so far – now’t else has come close to flying over game reserves and putting down on grass/scrub landing strips in the middle of nowhere and setting up camp for a few days and going native in the bush.

Needless to say i never flew when i got back to this country at all.

Spaceman
    Free Member

My mid life crisis purchase, cheaper than a sports car I suppose.
    I had various scooters when I was younger before moving on to sportsbikes but always hankered after another one.

1969 Italian Lambretta GP, got it tuned to give about 30bhp, which makes it fun! 😀

seavers
    Free Member

Lotus Elise 111s. Was my happy place.

frazered
    Free Member

an audi s4 some years back and then spent the same amount as the car was worth on tuning and modifying it – a total extravagance and I should have saved the money!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

That Curta is amazing.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘Your most extravagant/ridiculous purchase?’ is closed to new replies.