Home Forums Chat Forum York test / intolerance tests

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • York test / intolerance tests
  • DT78
    Free Member

Morning all, has anyone tried a York test, or a similar one? I read very mixed reviews.

I’m pretty sure I have an issue with live yeast. I am particularly bad after fresh bread or certain ales, however sliced supermarket bread seems to be fine. Weird.

So, have you used one? Or a similar test. They aren’t cheap at £149, if it was sub £50 I’d probably just take a punt

rone

Years ago. Didn’t show anything up, not sure how you can verify anything.

Service was okay.

firestarter
    Free Member

Dt78 can’t answer your question but I’m exactly the same , most bread I’m fine with but certain ones my stomach is in agongy a few hours later until I empty lol I’ve had it with one of the supermarket bread mixes too and certain ales as you say never thought of yeast I was thinking maybe wheat

DT78
    Free Member

wheat has been the working assumption, but often I’m absolutely fine after bread so it can’t be.

I get all the IBS symptoms, but also brain fog (trouble saying particular words), very tired and irritable, and feel like a pretty bad hangover for days afterwards

I tried dropping gluten completely and its just a massive pain in the ass

I know the only true way is an elimination diet, but these are really hard to do, especially if your partner is kind of tired of hearing you whinge on about stuff for years and she covers the food side of the household…

toby1

@DT78 – I’ve recently been through some tests with the GP, they didn’t suggest the tests would be much use.

I’m in a similarish position to you, IBS after, at the moment
    Aliums (Onions, Garlic)
    Bananas
    Beans
    Beers (all types I’ve tried recently)
    Raisins

Have you tried proper bakery sourdough, my wife can’t tollerate mass produced bread, but is fine with sourdough from home or a bakery, not the supermarket guff. Commerical yeast does seem to be a different strain.

As for the beer thing, I was looking into Lambic as it isn’t using the same yeast/fermentation process and to be honest, I’m not sure I want to live in a world with no beer, I don’t really care about other drinks much.

lamp
    Free Member

I’ve used Thriva a few times – very good service and the analysis can be super thorough.

firestarter
    Free Member

I improved massively day to day when I dropped milk but I still suffer pain and my world falling out my arse certain breads and ales

sharkey
    Free Member

FODMAPs

P-Jay
    Free Member

I afraid I can’t really help, I’ve been going through the same thing.

IBS, unbelievable constant farting, tiredness, etc etc.

I cut out dairy, it helped for a bit, then it came back. Now I can’t touch anything dairy or I’m in a right state, I used to be able to eat ice cream and be a bit rough, now a mouthful of it and I’m in bits.

I cut out red meat, helped for a bit, steaks give me really back stomach aches, but it’s come back.

Dr. says it’s most likely stress and, whilst didn’t quite say the words “quackery” it seemed their medical opinion that a simple hair / blood sample isn’t enough to tell you about ‘intolerances’ and in fact, apart from certain conditions like Coeliac disease and Crohn’s food ‘intolerances’ are mostly a myth.

maccruiskeen

They aren’t cheap at £149

I was going to say that we do still have a National Health Service and that if you need testing or treatment why not ask your GP – why pay for something that is already available to you for free –  but looking the NHS’s own site on Food Intolerance and testing…

Is there a food intolerance test?

A number of companies produce food intolerance tests, but these tests are not based on scientific evidence and are not recommended by the British Dietary Association (BDA).

The best way of diagnosing a food intolerance is to monitor your symptoms and the foods you eat. See what happens when you cut out the suspected food for a while, and then reintroduce it into your diet.

So it would seem you would have to pay for it as theres no sound reason for it to be offered to you for free

Really you’re already doing what you need to do – excluding and reintroducing things from your diet – maybe just be more methodical about it if you want to know more.

martinhutch

The best way of diagnosing a food intolerance is to monitor your symptoms and the foods you eat. See what happens when you cut out the suspected food for a while, and then reintroduce it into your diet.

+1

This is likely to produce as reliable results as a 150 quid test. Keep a food/symptom diary.

maccruiskeen

Its worth noting where people are making distinctions between shop-bought and homemade bread that theres more in commercially produced bread that flour and yeast – although I’m not sure how in the OP’s case the you could be intolerant to the absence of flour improvers and dough conditioners. That would be more of a dependancy than an intolerance 🙂 Warburton Cold Turkey Syndrome.

toby1

Warburton Cold Turkey Syndrome.

Dont joke, iz serious!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘York test / intolerance tests’ is closed to new replies.