• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by fbk.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • X9 shifters
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

Are these a worthwhile upgrade on my bike, I currently have X5 shifters and a X7 rear mech.

Do better shifters than mech or better mech than shifters make for a nice gear change.

The rest is SLX Crank set, LX Front Mech, XT Cassette and a KMC X9.93 Chain

Cheers

timbercombe
    Free Member

X7 to X9 mech is hardly noticeable (I’ve had about 3 of each), however having owned 2 sets of each shifter, the X9s are far far better and worth the cash, much nicer feel, quality and zero loss shifting, far more accurate, and definitely worth the little bit extra.

aP
    Free Member

I bought some x9 shifters in 2004, I replaced them last New Year with x0 because I could, not because I needed to. Same for you – do you want to have a new shiny thing or keep with the slightly grubby one?

timbercombe
    Free Member

X9 shifters in 2004 are not comparable to the current X9 shifters and completely different models now. X9 2004 are similar to current X7, X9 2009 are similar to current XO minus adjustable lever and carbon bling.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I like shiney things and the X5 shifters feel a bit plasticy really.

I like the way the SRAM gear shifts, just thought it might be a nice upgrade 8)

timbercombe
    Free Member

Go X9 to really get away from plastic cr*p then :). Drops some weight for the wennie in you 😉 And it’s a proper good shift as opposed to flimsy rubbish!

mk1fan
    Free Member

Plus, if you have split clamp Avid brake levers then you can use the Matchmaker clamps too. X-9 are – imo – very good and worth the money.

fbk
    Free Member

I changed from X7 to X9 shifters recently. Mainly because of the choice of mounting position making it easier to run brake levers in-board of the shifters. They do offer a fair jump in quality and bling factor too though 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘X9 shifters’ is closed to new replies.