Home Forums Bike Forum X Fusion forks , let sleeping dogs lie ?

• This topic has 5 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by FOG.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • X Fusion forks , let sleeping dogs lie ?
  • oldfart

Got a pair of Slide XF forks with the RL2 damper. They are 7 years old now , been serviced once by TF Tuned in 2018 and again by my LBS about 2 years ago . They are on a HT that’s used as a kind of Gravel bike with Gravelkings fitted . It’s a daily use Somerset Levels nature reserve ride . Forks are doing what they are meant to do with no drama but I wonder if servicing would be worth doing bearing in mind the ” special” toolsneeded for the Swiss cheese nuts which my LBS have .

Can of worms comes to mind keep riding them until bang ! Sounds sensible?

I’m then considering rigid forks like the Selcof from PX or Fox 32s for £249 from Merlin.Any thoughts on rigids apart from uncomfortable.

So many first world problems!

tall_martin

How much is a service Vs price of new forks?

I’ve got ridgid forks on my commuter/ gravel bike. I’d rather have suspension forks at any amount of off-road personally. Others disagree.

I took it to and  round Sherwood pines ( flat non technical forestry comission trail center) and did not like the ridgid forks one little bit. The 40 miles of sustrans trails and road were fine. 10 miles of off road were much less fun than if I’d taken my hardtail.

My 2p. New fox forks and sell the current ones.

oldnpastit

I have serviced (just the lowers) those forks without special tools. It’s not too bad and the bolts were fine. There’s a clip inside to adjust the travel that I managed to damage by overtightening so watch out for that.

There are a few pages around with some helpful tips.

mick_r

I was also scared by the reputation of the aluminium nuts and bought the little steel tube nut tool for easier removal. They really proved to be no issue and no different to any other forks. I’ve got 2 sets of Traces and found X Fusion to be very reliable and durable forks – this has just reminded me that an oil change is due as it must be 3 years since I last pulled the lowers off…

BadlyWiredDog

Ditto on the ‘special tool’ front. I bought one and have never actually had to use it on either a Sweep or McQueen. I’d do a simple lowers service just to keep things moving smoothly.

FOG

I have some Trace forks which did suffer from a cheese foot nut. I managed to get a replacement but you have to have the original because the thread size does not match the across the flats size. I also managed to chovel the bolt thread and had to run a die down it to attach the new nut. Needless to say I have been reluctant to service them again so  I would definitely bin them and go for the Fox (which is probably what I am going to do)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.