Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 2,164 total)
  • Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?
  • Northwind

In case anyone’s still looking, 80SPEND gets you 15% off. Or take this:
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/coupon-1?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=12_11_15-15off-wsy80%20%281%29&utm_content=&spMailingID=12939080&spUserID=MjI0MTY1MTcyNDE4S0&spJobID=660817467&spReportId=NjYwODE3NDY3S0
    To the shop

My bud arrived today. It’s another entry in “fatbike things that make me laugh just looking at them”.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Northwind – so refreshing to see a Fat being used and enjoyed!
    That extra discount on top is flippin brilliant eh?

I’ve just had confirmation that Raw Tuskers will be back in stock March 2016 – so I either face a winter without my new obsession.. or I find something else.
    wondering about buying another one in march and swapping the frame out when it arrives..

NormalMan

@ NW did you see the measurements I posted up on the ‘other’ fat bike thread?

Northwind

I did. Closer to my crap measurements than I’d expected 😆 But cheers, I’m a numbers nerd so it’s a good addition.

NormalMan

Cool.

I’m borrowing the Pug this weekend. Could get interesting!

Plus I’ve got 3 family members looking at the Dune longingly now!

firestarter
    Free Member

Oops…. Just ordered a dune 😉

Northwind

OK, I don’t know how much tyre clearance you need around a Lou or Bud… Just tried my (used) Bud on the rear, it has about 5-6mm clearance all round at 9psi. At 30psi (bead seating) it has no clearance at all and jams against the top mudguard boss! Stretchy tyres. Oh and it will foul the granny ring if you stick with one, with 1x it’s got maybe 6mm clearance to the chain. (you can, I’m sure, offset the BB a few mm to the right to win back space. I forgot to check but I’m still fairly convinced it has 170-spaced cranks.

So all pretty tight but would depend how much mud these tyres lift, I’ve no idea.

firestarter
    Free Member

So would you still recommend the bike given the clearances or is it worth canceling order and getting either a voodoo when in stock or a used fatty??

scotroutes

Will you get a Bud in either of those?

Northwind

Those are stupendously big tyres, with stock or with any other 4 inch tyre it’s got tons of clearance so definitely not a turnoff in general.

I’ll do some messy rides with the bud and see how much mud it picks up and see how it looks. (there is tons of room in the fork) If they hoover up mud like some tyres do, it’s going to be pretty chafey. If they clear fast I reckon it’s fine. There’s more clearance than with my 26 inch thinbike.

I am btw just assuming that both tyres are the same size, maybe Lou has less tread height, I have no clue. OTOH, I don’t know if I even want that much tyre on the back. I certainly don’t want to spend £70 on a tyre for a while!

I gather you can fit a Lou into a Fatty but it’s pretty tight. Don’t know about the Voodoo. (I saw a comment that the Voodoo’s not due back in stock til February now btw)

firestarter
    Free Member

Actually I was thinking a bud was 4.0 buts it’s 4.8 isn’t it?

scotroutes

Aye.

firestarter
    Free Member

Ah good that’s fine then at 500 quid it’s hard to say no. Despite my hankering for a marin pine mountain 1 650B+

scotroutes

I already have a fatbike and I’m building a B+ bike at the moment but a Dune at less than £500 looks like an absolute steal. I really, really, really can’t justify it 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

That’s what I thought tbh but I kept thinking it’s only 750 for the marin and I’d have the extra cash by the time it’s available.

I’m still wondering if for long days in the hills and bike packing even just the local loop a 650b+ may be more suitable than a full fat as I’ll not use it on sand or snow tbh

Oh and it will be my only mtb

scotroutes

If you’re happy with the Q factor then one frame with multiple wheels seems like a good approach. I considered that when speccing out this frame but I’m OK having more than one bike.

firestarter
    Free Member

I only had a quick shoot round but I didn’t even notice the q factor tbh. I’ve got my stoater for other things anyway 😉

MadCowKev
    Free Member

I heard from GO and other sizes of the Dune will be available in January

5thElefant
    Free Member

Woo-hoo!

firestarter
    Free Member

Well it’s here already 🙂 can’t ride til Monday tho 🙁

crush83
    Free Member

went to my LBS and had a look at a trek farley. with big wheels, dropper post and bluto suss fork it was 28 LBS.

3 LBS lighter than my Carbon Pivot full suss!!

NormalMan

Question is, did you buy it?

cheekyget
    Free Member

Ooh the suspense is killing me…..did ya??? 😀

divenwob
    Free Member

TEASE!

fadda

Well, I posted somewhere up there ^^^^ that I was not going to avoid popping in to Go Outdoors.

I did, and the inevitable happened…

First ride in the FoD last Sunday night was brilliant – much faster than I thought, and doesn’t feel heavy at all. I’ve changed the brakes for some Maguras I had in the garage, and swapped the seatpost for a 125 reverb, so it fits me at 6 foot.

Tomorrow brings the Cafall in the rain – I’m expecting to find the limits of the Jumbo Jim’s…

divenwob
    Free Member

Good work Fadda,play safe!

Alex

Oh I’m glad it worked in the FoD. That’s where mine is going next week.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/B4Fi3r]New project

Fitted fine even with 350mm seat post. So rather than waiting for a large, I just bought it. £493! Spent more on a set of forks. Wider bars and SLX brakes going on from spares box. Not sure about transmission yet, assume you need to do something funky with such a wide BB shell?

Suggsey
    Free Member

If you ride in wet clay you will find the limits of the Jumbo Jims pretty fast 😆
    After my mate picked up a puncture on Thursday nights monsoon ride I felt reasonably smug that the Dune had escaped in view of all the thorns locally I was very pleased….until Friday morning…..flat front tyre courtesy of an inch long blackthorn….anyway whilst the Dunes tyres are tubeless compatible I’ve taken the route of a bottle of Slime Tube Sealant in each inner tube instead…..the weight of the sealant ain’t going to make any more difference than the mud that was stuck to me and the bike and it seems a lot of desert riders who are plagued by Goathead thorns use this method successfully.
    As another aside/update on the Dune and durability…..buyers beware of the gear cable rub on the crown of the forks, it’s wearing fast on mine (must get some protection on it) and I’ve already eaten one tooth off the big ring……guess it’s because it seems to encourage riding up and over inappropriate obstacles still ie bigger fallen trees.
    Anyway enjoy the grotty trails whilst your mates are off and pushing.

Northwind

I got absolutely nowhere tubelessing the tyres/rims btw. Easy to seal the rim, not easy to mount, big gaps- I reckon it’ll need some of the bodgy packing foam voodoo to make it go. Can’t be arsed.

fadda

Alex – what are you doing with the transmission?

I want to change the stock M310 shifters on mine, so I can get rid of the stupid indicator windows, which will then enable me to swap the clamps and run the brakes on the inside. I can’t find 8 speed shifters without the indicators, so might have to change to 9/10 speed, for which I think I may be in new wheel or hub territory.

Not sure if I CBA with that…

firestarter
    Free Member

Faddy is the hub only able to run 8 speed cassette then?

fadda

I assumed they weren’t compatible, but I’ve just been reading up, and a 10 speed may just slide on and, bizarrely, need a spacer. I have shifters, so I may just buy a cassette and see if it fits…

firestarter
    Free Member

I thought that was the case tbh but you confused me lol

mcnultycop

I’d have bought a charge cooker maxi today in Leisure Lakes for £700 if:

A) my missus wasn’t with me
    B) could get it on the bike rack. 18 miles home on Tarmac riding it wouldn’t be my ideal first ride on a fat bike.

Alex

@fadda – I’ve consulted with the Dune Oracle that is NorthWind and he’s using the existing cranks with a chain ring bolted to the where the big ring was so dumping all the front mech malarky. I assume he’s running 1×10 out back too so it must fit. Voyage of discovery I suspect.

I’m going to try that – run SLX rear mech and shifter, 10 spd cassette (assuming it’ll fit), existing cranks with a Narrow Wide Ring, and switch out the brakes. Have all those spares so nothing to lose. NW reckons the chain line isn’t perfect but workable.

He also pointed me in the direction of the race face eaffect cranks which look excellent value if you wanted a ‘proper’ 1×10 setup. I have a spare direct mount 32T RF ring so if I can’t get on with the stock cranks I’ll go with that option I think. Only paid £493 for me, so one extra purchase is probably okay!

firestarter
    Free Member

Cheers all I’ll have a look at the cranks too. But it will stay as is until after Christmas at least lol

Alex
    fadda

Ordered a 10 speed cassette and chain in the hope…

(I may have been to the pub between posts…)

Northwind

Ha, I am the dune oracle, or dorc for short. give it a week, everyone else’ll know as much as me, I’m just slightly ahead.

1×10 is no bother, 8-9-10 and shimano 11 speed all use compatible hubs. I don’t think the chainline’s quite right, don’t care, it works fine. I went with a 30T because I had a 30T in the garage, but, it seems pretty ideal- the big tyres means it has a higher final drive, like a 29er.

Alex

DORC 🙂 I stuck a pic of mine of face-cloth. Amusing response. Quite divisive then. I wished I’d bought a single speed one or maybe an electric version like STW had. That’d had really made people annoyed 🙂

I think my ‘spare’ narrow wide is 34T. I’ll just have to man up (or as is more likely fit an extender to the cassette)

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 2,164 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?’ is closed to new replies.