Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 2,164 total)
  • Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?
  • Northwind

Will do. Oh, meant to say, on closer look the frame is pretty spacious but the chainline, not so much, so that might be the limiting factor on width… but maybe doable with single ring. I’m just robbing my scandal for parts, I think I’ll be adding a little weight with some parts (if nothing else, with my gravity dropper) but you never know, with OE kit, stuff can be randomly light or heavy. And who knows what’s going on with tubes,etc.

Loving it tbh, building my big enduro bike was pretty much a boring step into the known, I knew exactly what I wanted and what was going where, this thing is just a big fat wtf 😆

NormalMan

Thank you NW. Congrats on the new bike.

I only picked up your thread this morning so missed the discount code. Sounds like it’ll be a tad small for me anyway. But still mighty tempting for the price. No stores anywhere near me sadly.

I am distracted by the OO Fatty (basic steel fork version) as it just looks so cool. It would mean swallowing my pride and buying from OO though 😉

I have no need of a fat bike (especially given the 4 or 5 mile road ride to my trails) BUT I want one 🙂

thv3
    Free Member

That Go Outdoors options looks very interesting, and sounds like it would even fit me! 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

Has anyone tried the OO 24″ fatty? Wondering how rideable it would be be for a 12yr old, 15kg and draggy tires might be too much? They do seem to push it as kid friendly though…

muddyground
    Free Member

My daughter is 12 and can happily ride my full size Fatty*.

Edit: Stop sniggering at the back. You know what I mean!

mattjg
    Free Member

I rode it round the shop, it has loads of grip on carpet.

Carpet grip always a major concern for my bikes. 😆

Goldigger
    Free Member

Don’t really know what to make of this contraption..

http://riderungu.com/juggernaut/

mattjg
    Free Member

Tempted to order one of these Dunes on a “what’s the worst that could happen” basis. It’ll do for a shopping bike if it doesn’t work out.

40mpg

Interested to read this thread as an ardent fatbiker. If the Dune frame can stand up to ‘proper’ use (I getting hammered all over the place) then thats a good thing.

I’d be more concerned about ALL the components though. The key thing with fatbikes is they encourage you to ride places you’d never even dream of before. These often involve beaches and mud. If your parts arent well sealed, they wont last long in that environment.

Then you’ll be quickly upgrading / replacing and will have spent the equivalent of an On-One / Specialized Fatboy / Felt / Cooker Maxi etc anyway.

Good luck with it though!

Northwind

TBH I’d choose this over the on one fatty. Well, I did! (coincidentally, it has the same rims as their emmenthal wheelset) Haven’t seen the others in the flesh to compare though. The basic “fatbike specific” stuff all feels sound, and there’s some really nice touches like a proper FSA sealed bearing headset instead of the OE pish I was expecting, and maxxis fatty tubes- nice to find quality kit hidden away. (I might swap these out, ironically, as I have some unused specialized dh tubes of the type fattists seem to like, because obviously randomly changing parts untried is the way forward)

The drivetrain and brakes are obviously bargain basement but that works better for me, I’d sooner have the money go into the core components. It’s getting XT/Saint 1×10 and formula the one brakes off my Scandal 😆 I’m treating it like a rolling chassis really. You could bring all this stuff up to spec and still have it be cheaper than most of the competition though.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

40mpg is right. In the end it will probably be similar to a more expensive fatbike if you bought new stuff for it but if you already have some parts to put on it then you are on to a bargain. Compared to a fatboy you have 900 quid to play with. My felt is 1250 and I got it for a bargain at 1000 on a pre order. I then spent 470 on the wheels, 60 on new chain and cassette as despite being shimano they lasted all of 5 seconds. 155 on a dropper and 75 on pedals. If I put those on a dune I would be 500 quid better off and a few bits from a donor bike I already owned then I’d have a similar spec bike.

Also if you don’t get on with it then you have only spent 550 quid.

Northwind, if you dig the fat experience I would definitely recommend the DTSwiss BR2250 wheelset. They are an excellent weight and seem plenty tough enough. Much lighter than the hope/mulefut alternative and a bit cheaper from ze Germans. Combined with the jumbo jim you have a wheelset that is probably on a par weight wise with a set of dh wheels and dual ply tyres. Tubeless is easy and Daves more weight again. They cost me 470 but make a massive difference to how the whole bike feels.

Alex

Thanks for the measurements NW. Going to be a bit small for me. Phew 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

@johnnyboy do you have a buy link for the BR2250? I can’t find. Thx.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

I ordered mine from bike 24 but they were also in stock at bike discount. I’ve just had a look and they are listed as out ot stock everywhere. Bummer.

mattjg
    Free Member

ta. betcha Canyon have bought them all up for the new Dude.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Thanks for the measurements NW. Going to be a bit small for me. Phew

I can confirm the good news. There is only one size and no suggestion that there will be any others:

Thank you for getting in touch with us regarding this enquiry.

I can confirm that we only do one size in this bike.

I am sorry if this has caused any disappointment.

If we can help with anything further then please dont hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards

Oliver Heald
    Go Outdoors
    Store Support

mattjg
    Free Member

reckon it’s an overrun of someone else’s frame, resprayed?

40mpg

Northwind – get it built, get down the beach, and get some pics up on here! I like the ‘treat it as a rolling chassis’ approach, recycling bits from spare.

I’d also recommend linking up with other local fatbikers, they’ll show you some interesting places to explore, and its always more fun with like-minded others 😀

If you’re on the south coast, happy to do this!

Northwind

The frame is stamped FATBIKE so I reckon it’s maybe a generic that they’ve just ordered in. I couldn’t find anything identical out there though- it’s obviously a pretty new design, with the 197 hub and that so it’s not just someone else’s outgoing model, some pretty distinctive parts like the hollow dropouts. It’s cambodian made so maybe not showing up in the usual suspect catalogue outlets?

Having said all that, some of the other Calibre bikes are bloody impressive looking, they had a Bossnut on display and it’s just ridiculous for a grand.

I’m in Edinburgh so I think I’m legally obliged to take a photo of it beside some mini submarines. I’m not really planning to go mad on buying bits for it, you never know though, I kind of hope to like it for its fatness rather than trying to make it super light. First stop is going to be my pentlands test track then probably glentress, for the lolz, then the beach

scotroutes

There’s a yellow one in the Inverness branch

Northwind

(I will totally fit titanium brake rotor bolts though, just because that’s who I am.)

highlandman
    Free Member

Northwind- look up Forth Fat on FB.
    Busy scene, including a springtime fat festival at North Berwick.

5thElefant
    Free Member

The frame is stamped FATBIKE so I reckon it’s maybe a generic that they’ve just ordered in. I couldn’t find anything identical out there though- it’s obviously a pretty new design, with the 197 hub and that so it’s not just someone else’s outgoing model, some pretty distinctive parts like the hollow dropouts. It’s cambodian made so maybe not showing up in the usual suspect catalogue outlets?

Could it be one of these?

Or the one in theft proof colours which seems to be all that’s available in the UK:

Answered my own question:

It’s different.

mattjg
    Free Member

The turned up chain stays are quite distinctive, found no obvious matches on an image search.

psycorp
    Free Member

Looks a bit like one of these to me.

mattjg
    Free Member

Close, though with a different fork and the Dune’s top tube is same diameter along whole length. Best match so far though.

chrisylad24
    Free Member

Think my felt double 70 says made in Cambodia on sticker on the BB it may even have fatbike stamped on it cant get to it at the moment.Just looked properly my frame is different internal routing ect, that dune looks great buy though.

Northwind

The Scott’s similiar from the side but pretty different on other angles- square seatstay bridge, different headtube.

mattjg
    Free Member

Could well be the Scott factory/jig but with cheaper generic tubing. See that boss or eyelet just at the top of the chainstays.

scotroutes

The dropouts on the Scott are a different shape too.

psycorp
    Free Member

FWIW I like the Scott. I’m considering buying one in the new year.

Northwind

Well it’s a slightly disappointing 13.5kg rebuilt with my nice stuff- frame, forks, cranks, wheels, headset, tyres and rim strips are still original basically. Wee bit more still to come out of it but I’d kind of hoped for 13kg, ah well. I could do it with weenie parts but not with a build I want to ride, without spending money.

The frame and forks are 2025g and 872g respectively, nowt wrong with that, unless they break. The axles aren’t light though, 94g rear and 118 front.

Wheels unsurprisingly, weigh a ton. 1739 rear, 1490 front, without rim strips. I don’t often say BOOOOM, but on this occasion I will. BOOOM. And the cranks are a mighty 795g with dual rings, plus 420g for the ST BB, and I’m not expecting a lot from either but they’re not obviously bendy or anything.

Did find a really nasty scratchy bit in the seat tube, not a problem since I’ve fitted a gravity dropper with a shim, but it’s the biggest black mark I’ve come across. Absolutely gouged my sacrificial 400mm oe post, though, only when well dropped so probably most users wouldn’t come across it. Still, it’s a bit crap.

Rode it up and down some steps. Giggled a lot. Looked at it in the garage, smiled. These are important characteristics and helped me get over my weightweenie funk.

mattjg
    Free Member

Rode it up and down some steps. Giggled a lot. Looked at it in the garage, smiled. These are important characteristics and helped me get over my weightweenie funk.

Absolutely. Enjoying your tale, keep us informed!

russyh
    Free Member

pretty much bang on the wieght of my OOF with Bluto’s so not bad weight wise. That said I am runnign DT Swiss BR2250 with hope hubs, tubeless. Thats also the wieght without dropper!!!

I have a stack of weight to take out from finishing kit, groupset etc. But my wheels cost more than that bike so i think you have done well Northwind!

Fatties are fun, i get a bit fed up with the haters (more haters than lovers on the trails) but im really looking forward to giving mine a kicking this winter!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

NW keep this up, I’m fatty curious and waiting for Halfords to get em back in, but this has also turned into a very entertaining blog.

Northwind

First proper ride today… Well, took it for a testride yesterday and literally the first thing I ever did offroad with it was bang the rear mech on a wall and bend it 😆 Really enjoying it, pretty sure I still have too much air in the tyres though, my hands are quite beat up and they were pretty pingy.

It has a pretty low BB, I think, and obviously very wide stance so that’s probably the single thing that I’m needing to think about most, had a couple of near misses there.

I hadn’t realised just how bright yellow it was, til I got it out in the sun, it’s too bright for my phone camera! You can’t be shy and own these bikes, can you, the only other bike I have that generates so many conversations with passers by is my hybrid but those conversations all include swear words.

Not a proper beach, this is threipmuir reservoir in the pentlands but it still counts! Had a nice time just boinging over rocks and paddling in the water, got my feet wet. But also, randomly, set a strava top 10 on some woodsy singletrack. Everywhere else it’s just slower but I was surprised by how close it got on some rough bits.

There’s a decision to make, Scandal or Pie Bike and I don’t know how it’ll shake out but this was a good first ride.

What might be the last useful observation for anyone else, for now, is that this is a 410mm seatpost and it’s literally on the limit. I’m 5’10, so it’s odd- the wheelbase is pretty medium and everything else about the geometry is comfortably mediumy, but the seattube isn’t. So be careful about size.

NormalMan

Thanks for the update. Even knowing it’ll be a tad small I still wish I had grabbed one when the extra 10% off was valid 👿

scotroutes

Low standover is pretty common in fatbike land – it’s a bonus when you stop in soft snow and put your feet down 🙂

I’m also wishing I had splashed the cash on on of these, even though I have my 9zero7. It looks pretty well sorted and it wouldn’t be too hard to shed a wee bit more weight.

NormalMan

If any more codes come along I’m in!

cheekyget
    Free Member

! You can’t be shy and own these bikes, can you,

Your right there!!……I find it a bit annoying people asking me about it all the time and teenage kids asking how much and can they have a go and wheelie it………no **** oof for some reason offends?? 😀

@northwind….what front mudguard is that…I likey!!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 2,164 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?’ is closed to new replies.