Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 2,164 total)
  • Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?
  • rezis
    Free Member

All the Dunes seem to have disappeared from the Go Outdoors website now. Does this mean the new ones are coming??

mattsccm
    Free Member

No Dunes left. I asked in the week. Peeved generally as that or the Voodoo were going to be bought. Let’s hope PX have a sale.

firestarter
    Free Member

I still love my dune it got a cheap set of deore brakes and some on one floaters to help it go and stop in the local mudfest rest is standard. It’s ace 🙂

burko73

Second hand on one fatty then….

zippykona

Very happy with my second hand fatty. The previous owner had done everything I would have had to do myself. ie drilled the rims , put on a nice crank that took an easy to source bottom bracket ,carbon forks and tyres that work in the mud.

burko73

Mines got carbon fork but not had the rims drilled. Don’t know if I can be arsed.

Bb might be getting creaky. What are my options – std sram double chainset on there at mo.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

There are a few Wazoo 18″ showing in stock at Halfords again, for collection only, including thee Chippenham store.

Spend 1p on something else and get it for £450. Get BC membership and get one for £400. 😉

Interesting regarding Go Outdoors, maybe a Dune v2 might materialise.

rocketman
    Free Member

mbuk first ride on teh Dune

Northwind

Putting a too-big tester on a bike then banging on about the sizing is pretty ridiculous. It’s a fair point about the (still) one size but if a manufacturer did 3 sizes and sent the medium for testing, they wouldn’t stick a 6 footer on it then complain it was too small for them.

Weird timing with it being so out of stock, wonder if it’s just printer lag?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Putting a too-big tester on a bike then banging on about the sizing is pretty ridiculous.

More or less ridiculous than selling a bike in only one size?

Yes, I’m still irritated I couldn’t have one 🙁

Northwind

5thElefant – Member

More or less ridiculous than selling a bike in only one size?

Nothing very ridiculous about that at all tbh. If you’re just testing the water then just launching a medium makes a lot of sense- it’s obviously worked well for them. Shame they’ve not been able to get the large out as quick as they said though.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Gratuitous plug time. My medium Fatty with drilled rims and carbon fork is in the classifieds.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/on-one-fatty-medium?replies=1#post-7661822

jeff1155

Medium Dune back on GoOutdoors website – must’ve been a hiccup, there’s no new stock, but now the info button doesn’t work so no large geometry figures accessible.

I’ve now ordered SRAM GX fat crank and 30T with a Sunrace 10 speed cassette to go with the Deore brakeset, rear mech and shifter that I already have to replace the existing 2×8 and Clarks hydraulic set – since I’ve done this, I confidently expect a new improved Dune available any day! Ah well, I suppose it will all be transferable…!

Anyone tried the SKS fatbike front and rear ‘guards?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Contain yourself…

The wait is over…

Large Calibre Dunes are showing on the website for pickup in 7 days!!!!!! 😆

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-dune-fat-bike-p347149

thenorthwind

**** I might have to run home and pull the £35 Go Outdoors discount voucher that came through the letterbox this week out of the recycling!

scotroutes

Anyone tried the SKS fatbike front and rear ‘guards?

The Grand MOM and DAD? That’s what I use. The front works fine and is easily removed. The rear (like most seatpost mounted guards) can swing around a bit if not fitted tightly enough. I usually fit a little shim from a cut-up inner tube to improve friction.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

So far, I’ve been impressed with the SKS Fatboard mudguards, for a downtube upper seat tube set.

Cost me ~£35 through Amazon from Germany back in Feb.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Blimey that’s taken me by surprise!
    First thoughts, the large doesn’t seem that much bigger, thoughts?

I know it makes me a whingebag to say so, but I mention it as the Medium seems pretty small in the first place.
    If I decide it fits, I think I may well put my money where my mouth is! There’s £35 extra discount on website, how low did we manage to get these for previously?

EDIT: the more I look at this bike the more I like the look of it

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Best price I ever saw for the Dune was ~£530 with the card and a site-wide % discount offer, it was this side of Xmas, possibly the Easter weekend at the end of March when stock was running low on the medium frame.

slimjim78
    Free Member

So it’s £579 currently with an additional £35 voucher makes it £545.

Northwind

slimjim78 – Member

I know it makes me a whingebag to say so, but I mention it as the Medium seems pretty small in the first place.

It’s actually a pretty typical medium- 420 reach, 1140 wheelbase, much the same size as a Solaris frinstance. I think the stubby seattube gives a false impression, though, a few people have posted that it’s small but frinstance the large is bigger than a large OOF (and smaller than an OOF Trail)

I generally like a longer bike tbh… I think if there’d been a choice I’d have had the L, after all my Remedy is a large too… but the M is just fine for me at 5’10. I wouldn’t buy an enduro bike with these dimensions but I wouldn’t buy an enduro bike with these tyres, either so.

5thElefant
    Free Member

First thoughts, the large doesn’t seem that much bigger, thoughts?

It’s not. It makes sense as a large if they plan to do an extra large. Maybe next year?

slimjim78
    Free Member

When you put it like that, Northwind, then it makes more sense.

I even have clearance from the powers that be.. So I’m going to have a re-read of this thread and work out the best course for upgrade path. I have a replacement carbon bar that I can’t seem I shift so I’d stick that on.. Tubeless the wheels.. Change the brakes…
    How ‘slick’ is the gear change? Can’t help but think about switching the shifters/rear mech out for maybe some cheap deore.
    What size is the seat post?

What’s the conclusion on the rear hub? I recall the free hub being a bit crap? And how about the BB, does it last? Are there any good value BB/chain set alternatives?

Seems daft to change so many components but that is usually half the fun.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

How ‘slick’ is the gear change? Can’t help but think about switching the shifters/rear mech out for maybe some cheap deore.

A Wazoo owner here (stone him!) but going from Altus 2×8 to budget and not particularly light 1×10 (SLX/Saint/Superstar) dropped a significant amount of weight as well as (IMHO) improving performance. That all-steel cassette is heavy, but the front mech with it’s hideous spacer block carries more weight than the average mech. Think I dropped >400g off the front and ~100g off the back end.

Cheap shimano discs over-perform for the price, the Wazoos Altus-level brakes are as good as the XT on my big bike accounting for rotor size and are peanuts on CRC.

Northwind

slimjim78 – Member

What size is the seat post?

What’s the conclusion on the rear hub? I recall the free hub being a bit crap? And how about the BB, does it last? Are there any good value BB/chain set alternatives?

It’s a 31.6 post.

The bearings in my rear hub were pish, but it’s an easy hub to work on, replacing all 4 didn’t cost much. (IIRC I used genuine Hope bearings as they were the right size, and cheap). I’ve found it otherwise reliable, it’s the same old pawls-and-round-spring deal as in my specialized and fulcrum hubs, different parts but same design. But I’ve seen some reports of freehub failure, which’d be a warranty job obviously.

The BB isn’t great, but it’s not as bad- I found the bearings a little grumbly when I went to replace my cranks. pretty much on par with other cheap cranks, isoflow and the like. Again, it’s a servicable part though the bearing it uses is a weird one and there’s not much choice out there.

Replacement cranksets for 100mm isn’t so easy- I went with Aeffects, which are awesome value and use a proper 24mm external BB, but not really cheap. Quite a lot of the cheaper options have obvious drawbacks, like SRAM and their orrible BBs. Course, you could get a replacement 100mm square taper BB, or just work with teh existing one. Standard parts seem fine, just heavy.

(I damaged the crank arm on mine so had to replace; tbh I don’t think that was a fault, I’m pretty sure I didn’t do the bolt up right!)

I didn’t use any of the other OE bits at all, just stored them and fitted my spare bits straight off, so can’t comment on shifting… But tbh basic shifting is usually alright.

richardthird

I’ve had loads of the £40 M395/355s, they’re ace, but at the mo are outvalued by M615 Deores £62.50 @ Merlin imho.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Is that sealed bearing in the hub then?..

Didn’t think Hope did anything other than

Northwind

Yeah, standard sealed bearings- can’t remember the size, think I posted it in here or on uk fat, but it’s the same as a Hope hub bearing and theirs are good quality.

Er, probably. I was servicing some hope xcs at the same time so it’s always possible this is all pish. But they are definitely easily found, standard sealed bearings and no bother to replace or source.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Thats good to know, cheers.
    How about the chainline when running 1×10, what have you found the issue to be?

I’ve never ridden a fat or 650b+ and am seriously torn between this Dune and the Marin Pine Mountain 1 at £739.. the latter of which would require much less upgrading.

My usual ride is a 140mm hardtail though, can’t help but think the step to full fat would offer more of a difference than rigid 650b+. Possibly not much in it though.

Northwind

Still dead keen to try a plus myself 🙂

1×10 is working fine for me, and with a range expander still clears a 4.8 tyre with a little room to spare. Chainline, with the standard cranks, I thought was fine- maybe not flawlessly centred but well within the “good enough as makes no difference” range.

Suggsey
    Free Member

An update on my Dunes maintenance following much use and abuse. Second hand Samox big ring now has had three teeth bent back into place. Rear wheel bearings finally gave up the ghost (crap sealing I believe is the main issue over an expensive hub) three of the four races had begun to disintergrate, one was still spinning sweetly. Mine took some hammer to remove. Upon reassembly one of the freewheel pawls sheered in half (don’t know if it was my bashing it all about or failure, robbed an identical pawl from an old Fulcrum Red Zone hub. Filled the whole hub assembly new bearings etc with some decent water revising grease and it’s running super sweet now.
    Was going to put the Jumbo Jims back on the other week thinking summer was here but it’s still shod with the Floaters.
    On the second chain now, picked up a rust resistant Clarkes from Halfords silly cheap.
    Overall still he best bike value for money ever!

fadda

I wonder if go outdoors are considering making the large available as frame only?

I bet they’d make a killing from those of us who love what we bought, but wish it was a tad bigger…

dahedd
    Free Member

Well bollox. Mediums available for store collection only. Closest available to me is in Liverpool, a short 280+ miles away 😥

dahedd
    Free Member

Dunno if anyone’s checked this out. Go Outdoors again, on sale, much cheapness. £600 down to £400

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/bh-bikes-bigfoot-fat-bike-p343699?utm_source=Criteo&utm_medium=Retargeting&utm_campaign=Criteo

NVM, there’s only one left in the UK, Coatbridge branch Glasgow??

jeff1155

I’ve now ordered …. since I’ve done this, I confidently expect a new improved Dune available any day! Ah well…!

Less than 24 hours, typical – all my upgrade bits arrived yesterday!

@scotroutes is the grand mom wide enough for a 4″ tyre? The MuckyNutz AssSaver I use at the moment might save ass but not back or ‘sac!

@nobody it was the Fatboard rear I was looking at, pity you can’t get it separately as I’m happy with MuckyNutz on the front and downtube.

slimjim78
    Free Member

That is pretty poor timing Jeff! Best of luck with the upgrades though.

Anyone tried a Titec-J bar or Jones bar on a Dune yet?

Northwind

dahedd – Member

Well bollox. Mediums available for store collection only. Closest available to me is in Liverpool, a short 280+ miles away

Maybe you could work with one of the medium owners- get a large and swap frames with them?

@dahedd, I had a look at that bigfoot when I got my Dune, it’s definitely in the “cheap fatbike” camp rather than the “great value fatbike” camp. Not to say it’s a bad option but I’d spend the extra for a Dune or Fatty or similar personally.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I blame this thread, but mainly I blame you – Northwind – and maybe a few bottle of local IPA, for tonight’s purchase of a large Dune.
    Here’s to hoping it’s awesome! Yeah!

nickgti
    Free Member

Thought I’d share my thoughts on the upgrade path for the Dune in my experience.
    Bear in mind my bikes only done 160miles!

Ditch the horrid wheels, I know a few Dune owners local to me who have all had Freehub issues mine as died a death and I’m now 4 weeks into waiting for a replacement wheel.

Standard chain rings are made of chocolate, teeth missing and bent within 100 miles. Mines now running 1×10 SLX on the standard cranks and runs fine.

BB bearings now have a lot of play in them and could do with replacing soon.

Standard stem and bars are fine if heavy, I’d Leave them in favour of upgrading the brakes.

Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 2,164 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?’ is closed to new replies.