Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 2,164 total)
  • Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?
  • Northwind

@nick,

I’ve done all the rear bearings but not had any bother with the freehub- it’s a pretty common design tbh, is there any visible damage or wear?

Interesting to see how you get on with spares, that’s one place this could be a bit tricky…

nickgti
    Free Member

One of the pawls doesn’t return properly, you have any idea what other freehubs or pawls would fit it?

I’ll keep you posted about the spares, cause I’ve complained about all the bearings in general

Northwind

No idea- it’s the same basic design as a Stout but my old stout freehub doesn’t fit. There’s some novotecs with the same design but again, not identical.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Hopefully not repeating old news, but for those of you within travelling distance of a Go Outdoors store with stock (no delivery option now), you can get a Calibre Dune for ~£493 with an Easter 15% off the discount card promo!

I’ve had a ~£450 Voodoo Wazoo for just over six weeks which I’ve enjoyed so far, but I so wish I had thought more about the Dune (for its tapered headset; the more modern hub sizes; through axles; Jumbo Jim tyres etc.) with a 400mm seatpost and SLX hydraulic brake upgrade.

nickgti
    Free Member

Attention Caliber Dune owners!

I’ve found a rear mech hanger that fits, the Scott Big John appears to be the same frame.
    I’ve bought and tested one from here:

https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott-big-jon-replacement-derailleur-hanger-p298404

You just need to swap across the black end cap.

rezis
    Free Member

Thanks Nick, haven’t broken mine yet but its bound to happen !1

nickgti
    Free Member

They cheap enough and always good to keep a spare with ya

rezis
    Free Member

Just a quick heads up. On One floaters have 40% off so only £15 at the minute!

For all the fatties out there!

Huwzy
    Free Member

Anyone replaced the bottom bracket bearings yet on a Dune? Mine are a little bit noisy after the Battle on the Beach and stripped them down to find 17mm(ID)X31mm(OD)X10mm(Width) bearings fitted. Quick Google search and the only one’s I can find are cheap Ebay one’s from China.

rezis
    Free Member

Has anyone gone 2×10 on the Dune yet? Lots of 1×10 posts but I like the granny ring.

Tempted to try and see but wanted to ask before I blow £180 on the setup, I’m presuming the front much will work regardless of chain rings..

dlovett
    Free Member

Rezis, I know one person changed the chain rings to XT 10 spd ones and it was fine.

I am changing mine to 2×10 this weekend.XT/SLX mix full details below, but I have not included the new gear ratios. I will also hopefully have a new hanger from go outdoors and a scott one both due tomorrow, as BOTB killed my re-bent one.

Duncan

Model Year 2016
    Riding Type Fat, Cross Country, Trail
    Sizes and Geometry Medium
    Frame Material Lightweight 6061 alloy frame with trail-tuned fat bike geometry 12mm bolt through dropouts
    Fork 6061 oversized alloy trail forks with 15mm bolt through, 1.5in / 1-1/8in Steerer
    Head Tube Diameter 1.5in to 1-1/18in Taper
    Headset FSA No. 57 1.5in / 1-1/8in Steerer 124.6g
    Handlebar Calibre trail 710mm 1″ rise 9 degree backsweep replaced with replaced with Renthal Fatbar Lite 30mm, Diameter 31.8mm, width 740mm. Replacing with Jones Loop Bar 710.
    Stem Calibre Trail 70mm extension
    Grips Unknown replaced with Bike Hut Lock on grips
    Brake Calipers Post Mount Tektro Novela cs MD-M311 178g replaced with Shimano SLX M666
    Brake Levers Tektro Auriga replaced with Shimano SLX M666
    Brake Rotors Front Tektro 180mm 6 bolt rotors 185g
    Brake Rotors Rear Tektro 160mm 6 bolt rotors 136g

dlovett
    Free Member

Brake Pads High Performance Metal Ceramic Compound replaced with Superstar Sintered Front & Shimano Finned Rear
    Shifters Shimano Altus SL-M310 replaced with Shimano SLX M660
    Front Derailleur Shimano Alivio FD-M410E 270g replaced with Problem Solvers Direct Mount Adapter
    Size: 34.9-28.6mm, 100mm & Shimano XT FD-M786-D-L Direct Mount 2×10 Front Mech
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Altus RD-M310 310g replaced with Shimano Deore XT M780 Shadow 249g
    Cranks Lasco FM682A2 bcd104/64 699g
    Chainrings 36/22t replaced with Shimano M780 XT 32/24
    Chain KMC 8spd Z-Series replaced with Shimano HG40 replaced with Shimano CN-HG95, Connex 10 speed Link
    Cassette Shimano CS-HG31-8 11-34T 334g 11-13-15-17-20-23-26-34T replaced with Sunrace MX3 10-Speed Cassette 378g 11-13-15-18-21-24-28-32-36-42
    Inner Ring Ratios 2.0,1.7,1.5,1.3,1.1,1.0,0.9,0.7
    Outer Ring Ratios 3.3,2.8,2.4,2.1,1.8,1.6,1.4,1.1
    Rims Calibre Fat Bike drilled double wall 80mm front replaced with DT Swiss BR710
    Front Hub KT 150x15mm 32H replaced with SON 28 15 150
    Rear Hub KT 197x12mm 32H
    Spokes DT Swiss
    Nipples DT Swiss
    Tires Schwalbe Jumbo Jim Evo Folding LiteSkin Pacestar 26×4 5-30 psi first ride 10psi, best so far 8psi
    Tubes Maxis Fatbike 26X3.8/5.0 1.0 mm thin walls Schrader Valve 428g replaced with Schwalbe Fatbike 26×3.5/4.8 390g Presta Valve replaced with Front Tubeless.
    Saddle Calibre Dune single line replaced with Charge Spoon
    Seatpost Alloy 31.6mm 350mm 295g replaced with KS Dropzone Remote replaced with Bontrager Rhythm Elite, 31.6mm, zero offset.
    Seat clamp 34.9 replaced with FWE 34.9 Quick release
    Seat Post Diameter 31.6mm
    Rear Dropout 197×12

Northwind

Huwzy – Member

Anyone replaced the bottom bracket bearings yet on a Dune? Mine are a little bit noisy after the Battle on the Beach and stripped them down to find 17mm(ID)X31mm(OD)X10mm(Width) bearings fitted. Quick Google search and the only one’s I can find are cheap Ebay one’s from China.

Hmm, same here. That’s just weird tbh, why use an oddball size?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Dlovett you want the Schwalbe 26×3 freeride tubes @ 180g a piece.

rezis
    Free Member

Thanks Duncan, CRC are still doing the 1×10 transmission for about £150 XT/SLX. The RaceFace chainrings I was gong to buy are OOS at the moment tho 🙁

dlovett
    Free Member

hey crashtestmonkey, I’ve gone tubeless on the front with no effort or issues, I’ll do the back when the other bits go on this weekend.

dlovett
    Free Member

So most of the new bits are here and about to go on, so I think I will replace the bb and cranks. What are people upgrading to that will work with 2×10 11-42 and ideally still allow a 5.0 tyre? I’ve been warned away from carbon race faces and the Sram GX, so that still leaves about 4 other race faces, the surleys or Hopes that can do 10/11 x1 and x1.

Northwind

I went with Aeffect but I think it only comes set up for single ring. Ride comes in a double. Or you can get a £33 double adaptor for all cinch chainsets. Aeffect has the benefit of a standard 24mm axle for BB compatibility and just seems to be a really nice sweetspot of price and performance, to me.

The exact crank you choose seems to be kind of witchcraft though. I got the crank RAceface recommend for a 197 rear but it was very wide, it turned out I can use the 170mm version in my Dune with 1×10 and a flipped chainring and still go with a 4.8 tyre no bother, so I did that. Not sure how this all works with a double.

(I do have the wide, 197 rear Aeffects still for sale btw, spammity spam)

2×10 11-42 gives you a gear so low you’ll need time lapse photography to see you move, though.

slimjim78
    Free Member

the Scott Big John appears to be the same frame.

Interesting. At first glance it does appear to bear a striking resemblance to the Calibre.
    But I thought the Calibre had been designed ‘in-house’ ?
    Does this rubbish that claim?
    Does it also make those of us waiting for a Large Dune Calibre to be designed and released look a little silly?

Surely i’d be better off contacting Scott?

Lots of question marks there.

rocketman
    Free Member

The frames are indeed very similar. The forks are different and the cable routing and lugs are different and on mine the top and downtubes aren’t joined before the head tube but that’s because it’s an XL. The smaller size Big Jons have a very similar junction to the Dune. Not sure if the Dune has internal dropper routing?

But the rear triangle and esp the welded-on forged section around the drop-outs is the same

I would say the frames came from the same catalogue and the in-house bit refers to the cable routing

STATO
    Free Member

But the rear triangle and esp the welded-on forged section around the drop-outs is the same

I would say the frames came from the same catalogue and the in-house bit refers to the cable routing

Problem is, as soon as you accept they have some difference (even cable guides) then you know they ARE different and there could be any amount of butting or other changes you don’t know about without having both in your hand. Its possible they are the same and but looking at the geo the angles are 68/69 for the dune and 69/73 for the Scott, so there is one difference (if those figures are correct of course).

dlovett
    Free Member

Yep I got the 190 affect cranks with the 22/36 and Adapter. Sadly they didn’t come with the correct spacers so they can’t be used till they arrive. Everything else is on it and it looks good.

dlovett
    Free Member

With the 2×10 11-42, we have some steep hills here !! and it will often be lugging lots of bike packing gear. It also means I can try a 1x setup with a 30/32 Raceface single cog and bash guard on the same spacer setup, so it was future proofing in one go.

Northwind

slimjim78 – Member

Interesting. At first glance it does appear to bear a striking resemblance to the Calibre.
    But I thought the Calibre had been designed ‘in-house’ ?
    Does this rubbish that claim?

Nah, it’s pretty common to find shared features and parts from frame to frame. Merida used to be the most obvious for this, you could see the exact same dropout forgings on so many different bikes.

The Scott and Dune are visibly not the exact same frame but I think you can assume they’re from the same frame manufacturer, since they share parts and design features at the very least. Still doesn’t make them equivalent in quality though, the processes, tubing etc could all be different. Or maybe not. Also doesn’t make either one a catalogue frame, just means they have some shared parts. Don’t read too much into it basically.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Ah ok then.

So the wait goes on for a large Dune…

dlovett
    Free Member

So my Calibre Dune has now had a few upgrades.

Jones 710 Loop bars, Bike Hut Lock on grips, Shimano SLX M666 Callipers, Shimano SLX M666 and Shimano SLX M675 levers, uperstar Sintered Front & Shimano Finned Rear pads, Shimano XT M780 Shifters, Shimano XT FD-M786-D-L Direct Mount 2×10 Front Mech with Problem Solvers Direct Mount Adapter Size: 34.9-28.6mm, 100mm, Shimano Deore XT M786 Shadow+ rear mech, Raceface Affect 175/190 24mm cranks,Raceface 22/36 rings on a Raceface spider, Raceface 100mm/24mm BB, Shimano CN-HG95 Chain with a Connex 10 speed Link, Sunrace MX3 11-42 10-Speed Cassette, DT Swiss BR710 front wheel, with SON 28 15 150 hub and Alpina DB spokes and nipples, Charge Spoon saddle, Bontrager Rhythm Elite seat post and FWE Quick release Seat clamp. A DT Swiss BR710 front wheel, with Hope Fatso hub and Alpina DB spokes and nipples will be added shortly.

It rides amazingly very quick up and downhill.

Thanks to Jim Barrow for the building and Slam69 for the advice on cranks, BB’s and chainrings.

dahedd
    Free Member

Seriously love the look of the Dune & it appears to get great reviews. BUT by the time you upgrade it in the way some have done would u not be as well buying someone else’s more expensive bike in the fIrst place ?

lightman
    Free Member

As above!
    It looks like you replaced everything, why did you not just buy a good frame and build that up?
    The way you did it just seems like a huge waste of money :/

Northwind

lightman – Member

why did you not just buy a good frame and build that up?

It is a good frame, is the point you miss. If it said Salsa on the side people’d happily pay as much for the frame as the entire bike costs tbh. Buying it with the plan of replacing everything doesn’t really make much sense but buying it to try then upgrading it with other parts as you feel fit does, because you’re speccing the parts you want and learning the bike and what you want from it as you go.

Mine is basically down to just the frame, forks, headset and wheels from the original bike- but I couldn’t have bought anything as good for the same money.

jeff1155

…and you can always take the new bits to a new frame if you decide that’s what you want, but with all the fancy bits assembled gradually until then.

I love my Dune, really enjoying it, but might upgrade to a large if they ever come out…!

dlovett
    Free Member

A) It was cheap to see if I wanted a fat bike.
    B) I had a lot of the parts and I like the bike.
    C) If I had wanted to buy something off of the peg it would have had certain components I would not have wanted.
    D) If I was to upgrade most parts would come to the next frame.
    E) There is nothing remotely similar to what it has cost so far, that I would want to own/ride.

Alex

but might upgrade to a large if they ever come out…!

I keep thinking that but I’ve got used to it now. Also refitted my Jumbo Jims this morning in honour of the faint covering of snow I woke up to….

zippykona

Snow, fat bike and no pictures?

rezis
    Free Member

Part of the appeal is that the frame takes the upgrades in terms of hub widths and forks. Ultimately mine cost less than £500 and so far no additions other than muck, tho a set of Deore brakes have arrived this week.

For me a ‘cheap’, quality and fun bike. You don’t need XT on it!

Alex

Snow, fat bike and no pictures?

It was a mere dusting and after getting home from children-taxi duties all that was left were a few slushy puddles. After riding in the Pyrenees for a week, I’m finding it hard to get motivated to venture out into the mud at home…

jeff1155

Anyone pondering a large Dune, or in fact any Dune, might have a slightly easier decision process – it seems to have disappeared from the Go Outdoors website?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I noticed yesterday the Dune has vanished off the Go Outdoors website, they were down to the last few medium frames a week or two ago.

The Voodoo Wazoo has also gone from the Halfords store, I think.

So the cheapest, semi-decent spec fatbike is now the ~£600 Mongoose.

But for value for money, the £1k Bluto equipped Fatty Trail is probably the leader now, closely followed by the £900 Fatty.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Oddly Halfords delete it from site when it sells out rather than leave it with a ‘sold out’ banner to maintain interest (first run sold out before Xmas).

nickgti
    Free Member

I’ve been waiting for over 4 weeks now on warranty parts for the Dune, freehub, crank and BB. Store has been great but head office dealing with the parts is taking the piss.

I love the bike but the freehub is utter rubbish! the bike has done 120 miles!

jeff1155

Strange that the large Dune never appeared – maybe there’s a relaunch, name change, better spec, bigger price?

Where’s @calibremike for an update? He was pretty good on the spares front too?

I had to replace the rear bearings after about 100 miles – the seal was poorly fitted and trapped mud between the cassette and the hub until the freehub stopped freehubbing, causing the chain to tie itself up in knots. LBS sorted it all out but chain suck is never far away, especially when the chain gets muddy. Anyone else suffering this with the standard 2×8?

I’d go 1x but I was waiting for the large…. it’d be a lot cheaper than the belt drive hub geared Shand Tumshie which I’m trying not to find the perfect muddy winter bike!

Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 2,164 total)

The topic ‘Would you buy a (new) fatbike for ~£1k?’ is closed to new replies.