Home Forums Chat Forum Woodworkers – Help – My Sander’s Velcro is Worn

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Woodworkers – Help – My Sander’s Velcro is Worn
  • BigJohn

I don’t do a lot of sanding so I got a cheap Erbauer 125mm Random Orbital Sander. It’s fine, using Mirka sheets I get a good finish, good dust collection, and it’s not too bulky.

But the hook and loop plate wears out very quickly and the sanding sheets fly off. I’ve returned 2 already but I want a longer term fix. I can’t find a replacement pad in stock anywhere. Is it just a matter of sticking velcro on the bottom and cutting out the holes for dust collection?

spawnofyorkshire

I’ve had this same problem with my makita, will be interested to see if someone has solved it

BigJohn

That’s handy to know – Getting a Makita was one of my thoughts.

stevextc
    Free Member

Is it just a matter of sticking velcro on the bottom and cutting out the holes for dust collection?

Yes, though I’d cut the holes first then stick.

Blazin-saddles

Mirka make a sacrificial hook and loop pad that you stick to the one on the machine, you then wear that out instead of the one on the machine and replace when knackered. I have one fitted to my Deros to avoid this problem.

kayak23

As above. Always use a Mirka pad saver. Obviously you’re beyond that, so buy one anyway and stick it to your worn pad. Rest Express sell them.

Also, there must be something going wrong if you’re melting the Velcro. Pressing too hard? Using discs way beyond useful life?

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Mine came with psa sanding sheets and a psa hook sheet. That wears out and I get another one. I usually end up buying a generic that has holes for all the variations or one that’s close and punch any holes I need.

BigJohn

I just think the hooks on the sander are rubbish. I’ve used other Sanders and none of them have let me down. And with a random orbital I don’t press down anyway. I’ll look at the suggestions above as my disc will need the pad glueing on.

timbo46
    Free Member

Mirka or Festool pad savers, and connect your sander to a vacuum cleaner, your sanding discs will last longer and you won’t melt the velcro.

BigJohn

A bit of short-term good news; My brother was borrowing an older sander of mine, the sort that has 3 swappable pads, rectangular, circular and detail. It just burned out so I’ll be able to repurpose the circular one for my Erbauer. Just need to re-drill the 4-hole pad for the 3-hole fitting.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Woodworkers – Help – My Sander’s Velcro is Worn’ is closed to new replies.