Home Forums Chat Forum wood burning stove – connecting to twin wall flue without looking rubbish

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • wood burning stove – connecting to twin wall flue without looking rubbish
    5lab
    Free Member

we’re putting a wood burning stove in our extension, and will be running a twin-wall flue pipe pretty much straight up (through 2 floors, boxed in upstairs) and out through the roof. So far so good.

The question we’ve got is whether there’s an astetically pleasing way to go from the stove output (which is generally single-wall, so outer diameter of around 160mm) to the twin-wall kit (perhaps 190mm diameter)? I don’t think you can have the twin-wall stuff nestled down to the top of the stove, so you have to go to the thicker stuff either 400mm below the ceiling

or just above the stove

both of which look (in my opinion) a bit naff. Am I missing any other options?

ditch_jockey

Ours is done like your first pic – recommended by the installer, as the single skin pipe lets more of the heat escape inside the house. Twinwall will carry more of it outside apparently (although still gets hot!)

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Always looks s**t I am hiding ours with a false chimney breast and concrete “wood” lintel.

5lab
    Free Member

Ours is done like your first pic – recommended by the installer, as the single skin pipe lets more of the heat escape inside the house. Twinwall will carry more of it outside apparently (although still gets hot!)

agree there’s a heat benefit to it. If there wasn’t 400mm of twinwall up there (say 100mm) it wouldn’t be so bad.

do you notice it day-to-day? or you kinda get used to it.

I’m amazed no-one does an option for the bottom one with a bit of twin wall width pipe that just covers the thin bit up

5lab
    Free Member

ah turns out someone (SFL) do make exactly what I need..

Screenshot 2024-09-13 at 21.25.03

Bear
    Free Member

The top image will be because of the clearance of single wall to combustible materials which is why the twin wall sticks down so far.

qwerty
    Free Member

The worktop overhangs the wood burner, shite JVC speaker will probably melt and no Dualit toaster, what has the world come to!

Dickyboy

ah turns out someone (SFL) do make exactly what I need..

Could just as easily put an external clamp band around the stove adaptor.

gobuchul
    Free Member

That 1st picture is the worst stove installation I have ever seen!

And what’s going on with that speaker?

I thought the whole point of the single wall was that it help heat the room and improve the draw of the stove?

In my last house, we had a similar set up as to the 1st picture, although done properly. You don’t even notice the fatter top section.

Dickyboy

I thought the whole point of the single wall was that it help heat the room and improve the draw of the stove?

Help heat the room – yes, improve the draw on the on the stove – not so much.

kormoran
    Free Member

In my last house I had an instal similar to the first picture but obviously didn’t have anything overhanging the stove or likely to melt! Wtf are they thinking?

The top section of twinwall was not noticeable, the rest was single wall and it gives off a lot of heat. Downside is a fire board wall section and care to insure no combustibles eg studwork are within the zone around the flue.

Draw was phenomenal, unlit the stove door would pull itself shut at the last open inch or so.

I would strongly recommend getting up to speed on stove install regs to get your head around what is permitted and safe. Loads of stove manufacturers show pictures of their stoves installed in a way which may not be permitted in the UK.

gobuchul
    Free Member

But the zone around the flue is only 1.5 x the diameter, so 5″ needs a distance of 7.5″.

Easy to achieve by choosing a stove with a top flue roughly in the middle and placing the stove a few inches from the wall.

bedmaker

Schiedel Eco icid also do a telescopic starter , 600 or 1000mm, similar to the sfl one above .

Here’s one I made earlier.

IMG20240914141625

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.