Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 219 total)
  • Women only train carriages
  • cinnamon_girl
    glasgowdan
    Free Member

Or how about one only for blacks, or disabled people? Where does it end? Who thinks this way?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Women – know your place

Or at least inadvertently that’s what it would result in.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

But what happens if a woman harasses another woman? Where do they get put?

Glasgowdan, who knows where it ends, but you’ll probably want to start with gays and immigrants rather than blacks.

On a serious note. Who is going to police the segregation? Or will it just rely on signs along the lines of ‘quiet’ coaches.

baronsamedi
    Free Member

A carriage of clunge, where do I sign up?

wallop

It feels like a step backwards. It feels like it’s normalising the harassment that women experience, rather than actually trying to stamp it out.

toys19
    Free Member

Umm what about all the other genders, and transgender?

g5604
    Free Member

Surely completely impractical and unenforceable?

nedrapier

Baronsamedi hits the nail on the head. I can imagine pissed up lads being tempted to walk through, or stay in the ladies carriage, going “Wahey!” and much worse. Red rad to an arse. Especially the kind of arse who’s obnoxious to women because he resents them because of bad or non-existent relationships, feeling insecure, inferior around women.

Edit: baron! Not saying that’s you! 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How about addressing the actual problem rather than telling women they need to hide and be locked away on public transport.

ononeorange

And so you would have men crowded and squeezed in even more tightly in some carriages while in others they would be half empty (if the demographics happened to work that way)? Just because of what you are born some would have to travel in an inferior way? Great idea, not.

atlaz
    Free Member

Can’t we just tell women to stay at home rather than work? It’d stop arseholes being forced to harass them. 🙄

Stupid idea.

atlaz
    Free Member

And so you would have men crowded and squeezed in even more tightly in some carriages while in others they would be half empty

I assume men-only carriages would look like this TBH:

BigDummy
    Free Member

How do the ladies on the Forum feel about this?

Cue numerous men, expressing their feels.

😉

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Cue numerous men, expressing their feels

This is the men only carriage of the internet, didn’t you know?

withersea
    Free Member

What next! As a labour leader he could go down in the history books for a variety of reasons, although I think he may now well have realised he has a hole in his foot and a smoking gun..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

And so you would have men crowded and squeezed in even more tightly in some carriages while in others they would be half empty (if the demographics happened to work that way)? Just because of what you are born some would have to travel in an inferior way? Great idea, not.

Hold your horses everyone…seems that it’s only a post-2200hrs idea.

Under Mr Corbyn’s plan, women would be able to report crimes in stations and a pilot scheme would be rolled out on trains and Tubes to introduce women-only carriages after 10pm at night.

So if you’re a boy that likes rubbing against wimminz during rush-hour, you’ll still have your opportunities.

How about addressing the actual problem rather than telling women they need to hide and be locked away on public transport.

Well, I dunno, I read the article and saw this…

He would also pledge to launch a campaign on public transport, television and cinema aimed at combating street sexism, and raise awareness of the effects of harassment.

So it seems that it’s a step in conjunction with trying to address the problem.

How these carriages would be policed, however, is another thing. Who knows if there might not even be humans to do this with the continuing efforts of TfL to remove them from underground transport.

Cue numerous men, expressing their feels.

Just sprinkling some facts around for now. Feelz might come later. 🙂

cinnamon_girl

I have been amused, this is always good. 😆

mikesmith nails it with an excellent response. 🙂

hels
    Free Member

I am sure he means well (honest) but it is victim blaming. Women should be able to ride in trains without fear of molestation. How about we just ban all men from trains after 10pm ? That would make it safe.

Ludicrous nonsense.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

mikesmith nails it with an excellent response.

To make it clear in case the Cob’s task squad is reading there was no nailing, it was just a misunderstanding and hardly my fault that the only available toilet was in the wimins carriage and my trousers fell off as I was leaving…

GrahamS

Wouldn’t it be better to have an Annoying **** Only carriage where we can put the harassing men, obnoxious drunks, rambling nutters, and people who listen to music on their phone speakers.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

and Tubes to introduce women-only carriages after 10pm at night

So just how the hell does he think it’s going to work on the new tube trains that are open all the way from the front to rear carriage?

hels
    Free Member

Or, here is a better idea – lets make all women wear head to toe body cover, so all the poor defenceless men won’t be tempted. I wonder if anybody else has stumbled across that idea ?

TheBrick
    Free Member

On a friday and saturadya night trains are still packed after 10 pm so might be difficult. Rest of the week it could work.

It is tricky as it aim is honerable, much like the idea behind head scarfs is to stop women being judged by their looks, but it is achived by hiding women away, either under fabric or in a seperate carriage. Ofcourse women should not have to deal with these issues, btu it is undeable they do happen, so is it better to deal with the reality but still aim for the ideal?

cinnamon_girl

To make it clear in case the Cob’s task squad is reading there was no nailing, it was just a misunderstanding and hardly my fault that the only available toilet was in the wimins carriage and my trousers fell off as I was leaving…

Another bloke who can’t keep his trews zipped. 😉

A horrible thought flashed through my mind – imagine sitting in a women-only carriage and the wimminz from East Enders boarded the very same carriage. 😯 I’d wet myself through fear. 😐

MSP

Why do I have locks on my doors and my car, it is ridiculous just blaming victims why don’t they just deal with the criminals instead of forcing me to take action to secure my life. What next, will I have to prove who I am when taking money from the bank instead of it being taken on trust.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

To be honest, having got a bus home from Croydon last friday night, I think there ought to be male only carriages to save us from pissed up angry young women screaming and bellowing like little “Vicky Pollards” into their phones with the most amazingly strong language.

The idea that only men can upset fellow passengers is one that passed with “Oh Mr Darcy I am overcome” ladies in white lace dresses and parasols fainting in the sun from an overtightened whalebone corset.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Surely completely impractical and unenforceable?

The women only compartments on UK trains worked fine until they were phased out in 1977, as did the women only waiting rooms in train stations. I can’t see why this would be less practical and enforceable.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup I’d be up for that, you could call it:

/Frankie Howard mode on/

Cackle Class.

/Frankie Howard mode off/

😆

hels
    Free Member

I am not sure that a car counts as a victim MSP, unless it is alive. Does it answer back when you speak with it ?

DrJ

Wouldn’t it be better to have an Annoying **** Only carriage where we can put the harassing men, obnoxious drunks, rambling nutters, and people who listen to music on their phone speakers.

We’ve got that – it’s called “the London Underground”.

You’d think that in a crowded city people would be MORE considerate of not making the whole place unpleasant with anti-social behaviour, but in fact it seems to make everyone completely selfish fecktards. Not just the usual horrible yobs – for example you see people of all social classes and ethnicities with feet on the seats. What is it with people?

g5604
    Free Member

The women only compartments on UK trains worked fine until they were phased out in 1977, as did the women only waiting rooms in train stations. I can’t see why this would be less practical and enforceable.

Pretty sure more people are using public transport now…If they split my commuter train between men and woman (it’s only two carriages) I would not even get a place to stand.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Pretty sure more people are using public transport now…If they split my commuter train between men and woman (it’s only two carriages) I would not even get a place to stand.

More people not reading the proposals. It’s a post 10pm idea – so your commuter train most likely won’t be affected.

MrNice
    Free Member

GrahamS – can we put the big hitters in there too?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I suspect that the suggestion is not to introduce it on commuters trains with just 2 carriages and do it where it’s, you know, sensible and practical.

sazter

Wow, segregation as a means of control, great plan. I am probably more scared of some of the women out and about after ten than I ever have been of men. Bit like crap cycle lanes and infrastructure rather than education as a means of reducing cyclist deaths… it doesn’t really work.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

BTW this proposal is aimed at women who at the present are not using trains or are reluctant to use trains, it’s aim is to increase the use of trains and public transport.

binners
    nickc

While it does have an element of victim blaming, why not. It might be reassuring to some women to know that women only carriages are available should they chose to use them.

Trouble is, a friend of mine who works occasionally in Paris (where 24 reporting is available) was followed home late after a short ride on the metro, it’s not really a “train” problem, it’s a “Man” problem. Needs education, not separation, IMO

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 219 total)

The topic ‘Women only train carriages’ is closed to new replies.