Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 219 total)
  • Women only train carriages
  • irc

Well white only carriages would be pointless as it wouldn’t protect black passengers from being mugged.

Hope that helps, don’t hesitate if you’ve got any more questions.

Just like woman only carriages wouldn’t protect male passengers from being assaulted or mugged. Women are not the only victims of crime on trains.

molgrips
    Free Member

In elections the voters like to know the opinions of candidates so they can decide which opinion they like best.

They should vote on what the candidates say they’re going to do. And in this case he says he’s going to start a debate on how best to solve the problem. Or to put it another way – he’s of the opinion that we need a debate on this issue.

You’re allowed not to know stuff, and to not yet have formed an opinion. Despite what they baying press say.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

In elections the voters like to know the opinions of candidates so they can decide which opinion they like best.

Corbyn’s opinion is that policy should not be decided by one person, that instead it should involve discussions and debates and democratically arrived decisions. This is dramatically different to the other 3 candidates and the bunch of stalinists who have controlled the party for the last 20 years. Hope that helps.

dragon
    Free Member

And in this case he says he’s going to start a debate on how best to solve the problem.

But what does that even mean, it sounds wishy-washy to me and TBH little different from the other 3 candidates. People want solutions not talk. He is perfectly capable of setting his research unit off to give him possible solutions to problems then pick one, and only then present it to the electorate.

ransos
    Free Member

People want solutions not talk.

In which case it’s best to get the input of interested parties before reaching a decision. Which is what he’s doing.

He is perfectly capable of setting his research unit off to give him possible solutions to problems then pick one, and only then present it to the electorate.

A focus group? Everyone loves ’em.

dragon
    Free Member

But what does that even mean, it sounds wishy-washy to me and TBH little different from the other 3 candidates. People want solutions not talk. He is perfectly capable of setting his research unit off to give him possible solutions to problems then pick one, and only then present it to the electorate.

CaptJon
    Free Member

irc – Member

Well he could have said he rejects segregation. What if the stats said most muggings were by blacks and people wanted white only carriages.

What if stats said most jelly was smeared over tall people and people wanted jelly free carriages?

ransos
    Free Member

He is perfectly capable of setting his research unit off to give him possible solutions to problems then pick one, and only then present it to the electorate.

Yes, they’re called focus groups. How well do you think they work?

dragon
    Free Member

Doesn’t have to be from a focus group, that’s one way, but it’s not the only way.

molgrips
    Free Member

But what does that even mean, it sounds wishy-washy to me and TBH little different from the other 3 candidates.

You have to remember it’s just one line in a long list of things in a document about one aspect of policy. It’s not the major headline the press made it out to be. It really does look like they are shamefully attacking him.

cinnamon_girl

As one user, possibly more, has stated that as a man they sometimes feel uncomfortable in a carriage then common sense dictates that unsociable behaviour should not be tolerated.

I’ve asked about the Transport Police but haven’t noticed any response. Should there be more of them, visible to one and all? Would they be a deterrent?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah I think so.

A lot of women seemed to appreciate conductors on Routemaster busses as a face of authority, even if it wasn’t a policeman, really helped – I was told at least.

Cougar

What people want isn’t always what’s best for them. It’s easy just to sound good, but far better in practice to consult people who are directly involved in issues and then make an informed decision.

Corbyn – or indeed, any politician – may or may not be “perfectly capable of setting his research unit off to give him possible solutions to problems” but that isn’t an instant process. Which is what he was saying, that he would “work with women and women’s organisations to take steps to raise awareness and tackle it” (and why the other candidates all said “er, we don’t know, Corbyn smells, I have to go my mother’s on the phone and I think I left the gas on” or something).

If someone hasn’t got a solution to something, would you rather they went looking for one, or would you rather they pulled a crowd-pleasing answer out of their arse on the spur of the moment?

molgrips
    Free Member

Also, you need talk to come up with solutions. A solution without talk is not going to be much good.

tpbiker
    Free Member

is there any evidence that females are subject to greater levels of intimidation and violence than men? A cursory glance on the internet appears to suggest that both genders need protected in equal amounts.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A cursory glance on the internet appears to suggest that both genders need protected in equal amounts.

‘Course they do, yes.

Cougar

is there any evidence that females are subject to greater levels of intimidation and violence than men? A cursory glance on the internet appears to suggest that both genders need protected in equal amounts.

Are we on different Internets?

Cougar

Wait,

Are we on different planets?

MSP

And then when it draws criticism in the press show some true leadership by blaming his staff and promising disciplinary action?

Solo
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

Are we on different Internets?

Wait,Are we on different planets?

Yes, due to WiFi range limitations, different planets necessitates different internets.

Lets keep this thread for the original topic of discussion.

Men’s only train carriages is a different thread.
    Different planet is optional.
    😉

Solo
    Free Member

MSP.

Please don’t turn this into a political arguathon.

Lest our resident Mod helps you see the error of your ways?

MSP

You are about 6 pages too late.

wrecker
    Free Member

I don’t often use trains so I don’t care. Knowing that there will be carriages that I wouldn’t be allowed into even if there were spare seats would make taking the car even more likely.

MSP

Would spare seats, where you are at an increased risk of being touched inappropriately, make using trains more or less likely?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

wrecker – Member

I don’t often use trains so I don’t care.

I’m fairly sure that you’re not a woman so that comment is neither surprising nor particularly valid.

Solo
    Free Member

MSP – Member 
    You are about 6 pages too late.

Edited in the name of peace for all Mankind and thread harmony.
    🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Would spare seats where you are at an increased risk of being touched inappropriately make using trains more or less likely?

I think that would make wrecker sell his car and never use anything but the train.

In all seriousness though, the discussions are about trains late at night – it’s pretty unlikely that after 10pm, there’s going to be a major crush on the penis-permitted carriage.

Cougar

Different planet is optional.

If only that were true.

I don’t often use trains so I don’t care.

And yet, here you are. Talking about a topic you don’t care about, about a subject which doesn’t affect you, to express the opinion that the people who do care about it are wrong.

Are we starting to see the problem yet? Bueller?

moose
    Free Member

After reading the FOI requests and seeing that violence against staff, sexual assaults and assaults with intent have increased, I stand by my opinion that more officers are the answer.

Cougar

You’re not wrong. However, that’s the expensive answer, so it probably won’t happen.

moose
    Free Member

@Cougar, and that is the sad truth of it.

just5minutes
    Free Member

Can’t wait to see JC’s proposed solutions to this:

Women bully other women in the armed forces

Also, a couple of posters have hypothesised that “Tory” cuts in BTP numbers might be to blame – the number of officers in 2009/10 was 2667 and 2652 in 2013 (the last year for which data are available).

MSP

I stand by my opinion that more officers are the answer.

I am not sure that more officers would help to any great degree, even with them the probability of successfully prosecuting such crimes is extremely low.

@just5mins, why only JC’s solution? Would it not be good to hear the solutions from many politicians? Maybe they could discuss it in a big room somewhere and form a consensus about how to resolve the issue.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Can’t wait to see JC’s proposed solutions to this

I very much doubt that you are in the least bit interested in what Corbyn has to say about bullying in the armed forces.

You don’t provide any evidence that you are even interested in the subject matter of this thread.

Solo
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    You’re not wrong. However, that’s the expensive answer, so it probably won’t happen.

True, but taking a moment to reflect.

The proposed strategy of ever increasing deployment of growing numbers of CCTV, officers, etc, seems like a slightly unfortunate direction to be forced into.

Hasn’t an effort to get society to alter of it’s own accord, got a place in the ranking of desirable solutions?
    Of course and not only has it a place, it’s likely the ideal solution. Where no matter how pissed up or frustrated a Man may be, that he’d never think to stoop so low.

Social stigmatism of such behaviour, just as we seem to have managed with drink driving, is a worthy goal?

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m fairly sure that you’re not a woman so that comment is neither surprising nor particularly valid.

Similar level of care given. The car is easier, more comfortable and cheaper anyway. Women only buses would be fine too.

Solo
    Free Member

@just5mins, why only JC’s solution? Would it not be good to hear the solutions from many politicians? Maybe they could discuss it in a big room somewhere and form a consensus about how to resolve the issue.

Precisely! A solution, policy, can come from any side of the commons. Just so long as something comes!

Preferably after the right people have been consulted.

Cougar

Just spotted this ‘bumped’ on Auntie Beeb. Nice little write up on what happened last time we had them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34061094

Cougar

Social stigmatism of such behaviour, just as we seem to have managed with drink driving, is a worthy goal?

Sure. Which is one of the things I suggested in my first post on this thread. But that falls under “difficult solutions” and that doesn’t win voters either.

Ultimately, you’re right of course. The solution to any crime is to either persuade or deter people from, erm, crime-ing. But how you go about achieving that is the million dollar question, if there was a succinct “easy” answer to that we’d have done it decades ago. I certainly don’t have the solution; I expect Corbyn doesn’t either, otherwise he’d have said so.

Solo
    Free Member

But since then there have been calls for their reintroduction. In 1999 it was reported that ministers were planning to introduce women-only carriages on London Underground trains. Last year Transport Minister Claire Perry toldthe Conservative party conference she was open to the idea of bringing them back to the wider rail network to reduce sex attacks.
    However, a report last year for the Department of Transport, by Middlesex University, said this would be a “retrograde step” that “could be thought of as insulting, patronising and shaming to both men and women”.

Hhmmmmmm…..

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 219 total)

The topic ‘Women only train carriages’ is closed to new replies.