• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jate.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Road bike holiday in Pyrenees
  • wait4me

I’m looking at booking a couple of weeks, most likely based in Luchon with the intention of riding some of the local climbs. Mrs is giving me the green light to go ahead for a week to tackle some longer routes then she will fly in for 2nd week for a more sightseeing orientated time.

I’ve not much mountain experience but had a week in Annecy a year ago and did some local routes including Le Semmnoz. How do the Pyrenees shape up in difficulty? I enjoy the long steady drag type climbing, but worry I may struggle on too much >10% stuff. Would be there in September so hopefully fine but not too hot conditions.

Any hints and tips gratefully received before I push the button.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Just go! Do Tourmalet, Hautacam, Col d’Aubisque etc. You won’t set any records, but you’ll get up them even if you have to stop occasionally.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

^^ wot he said

Im jealous

Love the Pyrenees me – much nicer than the Alps in my opinion

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aP
    Free Member

Ride Portes de Bales, Col des Ares, Col de Mente, you could do a Col de Mente, Col de Porte D’Aspet combination. Lots of riding from Luchon, some will involve a bit of a trudge down the valley though.

Jerome
    Free Member

Yep :
    Just go! Do Tourmalet, Hautacam, Col d’Aubisque etc.
    I did a route from Biarritz to Carcassonne – in aabout a week – very cool..
    Quiter and less steep than the alps.
    Would love to go again..
    Oo the descending……

mogrim

After doing the famous climbs I’d suggest riding over into Spain, just for bragging rights.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I’ve been to the Alps in 2011, 2012 and 2013 with my two adult sons to follow Le Tour and had great fun and ridden many alpine climbs.

Last year we went to the Pyrenees to do the same. We stayed in Lourdes and travelled around. We rode the Porte de Bales, Pla d’Adet & Tourmalet.

Just reviewing my ride reports from last year mainly written whilst on the mountain waiting for Le tour to arrive. Temperatures were 27 to 35 degrees in the valley although obvs got cooler with altitude:

Porte de Bales (19km).
    It starts off gently at 4 per cent plus some flat sections but then really kicks in. Up to 12 per cent for long sections at a time. After 16km through shaded trees you get above the treeline and its bare for the next 3km. Doesn’t sound far but its a bitch of a climb that seems never ending

Pla d’Adet (10km)
    This is a bit like Alpe d’Huez, you are bimbling along on the flat then you go around a roundabout and you hit the first ramp up the col which is immediately 9%. No messing just a brutal climb that you can see up above you traversing the mountain. It’s only 10k compared to yesterdays 19k but makes up for it by being very hard for the first 8k with sections touching 12 per cent.

Tourmalet (17km)
    Here we go then. From page 104 of June 26, 2014 cycling weekly re the Tourmalet:…It is one of the hardest climbs in cycling. …the gradient is relentless, not dropping below 8% for ten whole kilometres to the top.

Yup, its all true but Sam and I rode it today. Descent was fun too, wheeeeeeeeee!!!!

Talking of fun descents here’s a vid I shot and edited of the descent of Pla d’adet when we were getting passed by the pro’s (mountain-top finish, no other way down)

[video]https://vimeo.com/115475643[/video]

Or in short, just do it! you will have a great time!

wait4me

Many thanks guys, I don’t need much persuading to be honest. I’m a bit of a son of the 1980s TDF coverage so just seeing the names of those climbs gets the neck hair up. Found a nice property, cheap ferry, now just gotta make sure Mrs is cool with the plan and its all systems go.

Thanks again, and any inside info gratefully received.

ads678

My sister is opening this place http://www.lesvoletsjaunes.com/home-1.html in a few weeks if anyone is touring round the Pyrenees and needs a stop over. The pool has just been installed!!

steviep
    Free Member

I have some garmin files of routes starting in Luchon, mail in profile if needed.

c_klein87

Loved the pyrenees last year, found the climbs fairly forgiving, although i think pro-compact would be a better option than my non compact setup! some of the lesser climbed cols had quite bad road surfaces so worth some research before hand

beej

Don’t forget Superbagneres!

Or Col du Portillon, over into Spain.

Or Col d’Aspin. Pailheres is awesome, might need to drive to that one.

So many great climbs in the Pyrenees. Take a compact with a 28, you’ll still be wishing for a smaller gear at some point. Port de Bales probably.

wait4me

Thanks again. And Stevie I’ll be emailing you later.

bright
    Free Member

I’m leaving for the Pyrenees on Wednesday, I’ve got nothing really to add but thought I would mention it! 8)

jate
    Free Member

Did the Pyrenees last two years and have ridden most of the climbs. Agree it is better than the Alps (the roads are generally much quieter).
    Drop me an email if you want more info (email in profile) and pointers for lesser known climbs that we enjoyed more than the obvious ones (err, that’ll be the Tourmalet…).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Road bike holiday in Pyrenees’ is closed to new replies.