Home Forums Bike Forum Winter bib tights

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Winter bib tights
  • DrJ

My legs and private regions are getting cold now the weather has changed. I have some DHB fleecy tights but I’m looking to get more – maybe Galibier, or is it worth paying for Albion or similar? What do you recommend to prevent unhappiness in the members encolsure ?

fazzini

I’ve just got a pair of Endura FS(some numbers) thermal shorts, and was very impressed this morning. Much warmer ‘gentleman’s particulars’ than I’m used to once the temp drops. Might be tempted by the same in tights too.

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve used Castelli sorpasso for years, always been happy with them.

Duggan

Yeah I also was about to recommend Endura FS, the pads come in a range of wide/narrow sizes too which can help and they’ve lasted me ages.

MoreCashThanDash

I have the Galibier windprrof/water resistant ones – slightly weird feel as the panels are not as stretchy as regular lycra, but worth it for the sort of 4-5 hour club rides I do in winter.

For pure warmth, I have a pair of Planet X padless bibs that I stick over my normal shorts or 3/4 bibs

slowoldman

I’ve got various padded Endura, Castelli, Galibier, CHPT3. They are all different weights and for me Castelli Sorpasso or Tutti Nano are the warmest and CHPT3 the most comfortable. You have to wait for a decent sale though! However like MoreCashThanDash I also like padless tights and if you only want to buy one pair you can use those for several rides and just wash and change your usual bibshorts. The extra layer gives a little more warmth too. That’s IF you can find padless.

footflaps

Rapha Pro Team Winter Tights are excellent for really cold days, extremely warm without being super thick or restrictive. Very impressive.

I also their Brevet winter tights which have excellent reflectives on the back of the calves, but they are for warmer winter days.

DrJ

Those Rapha ones look great, but that’s some serious £££ !!

IHN

Also looking for some padless roubaix tights as my Polaris ones (that are possibly the oldest bit of cycling kit that I own, 20 years maybe?) are finally giving up the ghost.

For real warmth when it’s really cold, windproof ones are the business.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Having used the rapha brevet winter tights they are good but not hugely wind or water resistant. For those days when the wind is cutting and there’s spray or rain I’d recommend the Bioracer tempest protect tights https://shop.bioracer.com/product/spitfire-tempest-full-protect-pixel-bibtights/ 
    They are a snug and accurate size and for reference I’m a large at 6’1”, 41” chest and 34” waist. They are very comfortable and warm. You may find similar at Stolen Goat as Bioracer make all their kit. And with no chamois and less wind proofing https://shop.bioracer.com/product/spitfire-tempest-pixel-bibtights-no-pad/

MoreCashThanDash

Rapha kit is ace but best to plan a season or two ahead and jump on the sales!

benman
    Free Member

Castelli Sorpasso or Sportful Fiandre for me. Sportful are currently 50% off in the sale at Saddleback.

fossy

Can’t go far wrong with Decathlon’s kit. I have a set of Biemme bibs for really cold days, with a windproof thigh panel, plus some cheaper Aldi bibs (again windproof) for commuting. Otherwise it’s standard ‘roubaix’ type material. Close to freezing it’s the ‘windproof’ bibs.

sockpuppet

How do the spiteful size up? Usually a L in Castillo here.

footflaps

yep, but they have regular sales.

But in the case of the winter tights, they are so good, they are probably worth the price.

cookeaa

I’ve got some Ancient DHB, Roubaix lined 3/4 things that have been really good over the last several winters but are getting on and have various bad repairs to the knees where I’ve gone over on ice.

I also bought a pair of Altura Pro-Gel Winter full length Bibs I bought during summer to try this winter, but TBH I don’t hold out much hope for the Altura’s after the Pro-Gel bib shorts I bought at the same time have not held up well over the last few months, the pad is comfy though…

I might well head back to Wiggle to look for a new pair of winter bibs before they finally go bust.

chakaping

Have a look at Lusso’s offerings.

My Max Repel biblongs are very warm and comfy.

dknwhy

I’ve got a couple of pairs of the Galibier mistral bibs. Really good quality for the money. Not as stretchy as other bibs due to water repellent design so if in doubt, size up.

I think they hit the sweet spot between quality/price/performance.

balfa
    Free Member

If anyone is tall and skinny looking for Bibs, I got some from D2D last winter. Not perfect but a much better fit than most regular versions and not expensive either. Not aware of anyone else making long legged versions yet!

https://www.d2dcyclingclothing.co.uk/product-category/tall-mens-cycling-clothing/

benman
    Free Member

How do the spiteful size up? Usually a L in Castillo here.

I’m a large in Castelli due to my height, but Medium Sportful seem to fit okay.

MrSparkle

Planet x jobbers have served me well for a couple of winter’s commuting. Cheap ‘n cheerful.

chakaping

Also, dunno if anyone has said this, but my preference is for fleecy tights without a pad, then just wear undershorts or even summer bibs underneath.

Means you don’t have to wash the outers so often, and you get double layer on the “members enclosure”.

wheeliedirty
    Free Member

^^ This

Lusso make, or at least they did make , bib tights with the option of buying them with or without a pad.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.