Home Forums Bike Forum Wiltshire 100 mile (road)?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Wiltshire 100 mile (road)?
    monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Hi,

I’ve got the opportunity of meeting up with my brother and daughter and doing a 100-mile road ride (on Sunday), but Wiltshire is the middle spot between us all, Devizes specifically.

I’ve not ridden there before, so I wondered if anyone had any routes, or advice, places to go or even avoid?

I found this route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/2055702 which seems to tick the boxes, but as I don’t know the area, can anyone local take a look and give me some feedback?

Aiming to leave around 9am and average 15-17mph.

Thanks for any help.

Phill

jameso

There’s some lovely roads and lanes around there. Check the route detail though, it does some weird back-tracking around the 100-140km stage so if you rode it as it looks on the ground and didn’t do the weird loopbacks the route isn’t the 173km it suggests.

Severnake forest just outside Marlborough is a gravel track, it’s pretty smooth but if you’re on road bikes it’s worth knowing.

jameso

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/48651744

Here you go, similar to the original route just tidied up to remove the back-tracks and Severnake forest drive. 171km / 106 miles.

llama

I’d do it the other way around, my preferred direction in the Wyle valley, which is a highlight, but not that much in it

The track through the forest is doable if you are on 30+ tyres but will slow you down

There’s another off road bit nr Devizes, I’d just go through Potterne

Another very short off road bit south of Warminster but its OK

Amesbury is always horrid to ride through but you can’t avoid that really

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Fantastic, thanks jameso.

I did wonder about the 2 loop backs, I wasn’t planning on doing them as we’ll have an extra few miles to get to and from Devizes, but tweaking the route for me is perfect.

Again many thanks!

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Thanks llama, I’ll make a note of the off road sections, we are all on 32mm tyres so perhaps a time to take a breather when we hit those parts.

llama

Cut the corner off Salisbury and add on a loop through Longleat. If clockwise: turn left at Sutton Veny, through the Deverills, then the 25/24 route through the estate. Nice climb, in one of the 100 climbs books.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The lanes and hills roughly south west of Longleat Center Parcs are lovely for riding on, including #103 and Gare Hill.

racefaceec90

this def interests me also the route as i live in devizes so would be great to ride it (just not yet as my fitness is er lacking atm lol).

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Thanks for the route jameso, but we ended up doing a circular from Clevedon (again halfway) as I have some friends there who let us use their house as a base.

I’ve saved the Wiltshire one for next summer.

…and it has taught me the importance of a good fitting saddle, as mine clearly is not :(

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.