• This topic has 132 replies, 80 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by STATO.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 133 total)
  • Why the obsession with Gregs?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Just heard they’re putting one up in our town. I’m excited about the prospect of easy access steak/chicken bakes, not so much about the potential health implications this may have on me.

IdleJon

This mixture was then spooned down the middle of 2 packs of puff pastry which was then plaited.

If you’ve got enough time that you can waste it making sausage rolls then you should be making your own pastry.

konabunny
    Free Member

I’m having incredible déjà vu

mattsccm
    Free Member

Overpriced and crap. You can get 4 yumyums for a quid in any supermarket but they are at least 50 p in Greggs. I assume that the are related to Costa, Mc D’s Pret Manger etc

lemonysam
    Free Member

If you’ve got enough time that you can waste it making sausage rolls then you should be making your own pastry.

No one makes puff pastry, it’s tedious beyond any rationality.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I suspect thats the result of an image search containing ‘Greggs’ and ‘Bike’. How many others could there be?

It was the result of an image search containing the words “Greggs” and “Binners” actually. 😀

IdleJon

No one makes puff pastry, it’s tedious beyond any rationality.

That’s not the point.

grum
    Free Member

Last night I sweated off a finely chopped onion and leek, sliced mushroom and grated garlic, along with fresh sage & thyme in a pan. Once it had cooled I folded this mixture into half a kilo of the local butchers sausagemeat. This mixture was then spooned down the middle of 2 packs of puff pastry which was then plaited. These two giant sausage rolls were egg washed and then baked @ 200c for 40 minutes. Needless to say there is nothing left after 24 hours and they were way better than Greggs!

Was it just the smugness that made it seem better to you or did you conduct a double blind trial?

pictonroad

I’m quite partial to their chorizo and red pepper soup.

(And maybe a chicken bake)

donks
    Free Member

Greggs sadly optimises the sign of the times where crappy chain establishments are in abundance selling shite with a low price tag. I’m not sure how all this happened but I guess business rates and rents have a huge impact on non chain affiliated businesses. We used to have two or three really great bakeries in town (20 years ago I guess) and they all got priced out by tescos and the likes. We have nothing now… Not even a greggs.

It’s a shame that most small bakery businesses just aren’t viable in towns anymore and that the only mass produced junk sold at just as much as good food used to be sold at is the only option. Most small towns have been decimated of these type of establishments…. Sad really.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mt thoughts exactly!Isn’t that Binners’ famous Greggs’ liveried P7?

Having been (at least partially) responsible for the inspiration for that paint job, I feel rather protective about it!

Anyway, all UR BAKRIZ R SRCNG!
    Behold! REEVE!

Am now hungry.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Our office has moved to Skipton which has provided me with many, many options for lunchtime sarnies.

The tastiest thing I have eaten so far? Cheese and ham toasted sandwich from Greggs. Will be getting another tomorrow.

fogliettaz
    Free Member

I had a Croque Monsieur (toasted cheese and ham sarnie) here, http://www.chevallot.com/index.html in the summer, superb. The cakes are something to behold as well!

MrOvershoot

captainsasquatch – Member
    It’s not for me to deny you your fun as you fill your face with refined white flour

Can you tell me about this “refined” white flour & how its made?

MoreCashThanDash

Steakbakes, steak and cheese rolls, spicy chicken and chorizo lattice, five bean flat bread, two Belgian buns for £1.

Then I sometimes go back for seconds.

There is some obnoxious attitudes on this thread, I have to say.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Nowhere near as obnoxious as the contents of a Greggs bridie.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Ain’t got a clue, mate.

piemonster

Greggs is shite, so is McDonalds!

lemonysam
    Free Member

It knows which order to use the cutlery in.

RustySpanner

There is a certain demographic on here who define themselves by their ignorant snobbery.
    Presumably they are happy to be judged by it too.

Personally, I’m boycotting them at the mo – the cheese pasties no longer give me crippling indigestion, but taste minging.
    They even have bits of real onion in them now.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I love the way many on here who ask for discount codes or the cheapest place to buy X also have an aversion to cheap food & look down their noses at people who eat it. I know several very (very) wealthy people who wouldn’t think twice about spending £30,000 on a Rolex, & they only eat in the very best places whilst entertaining, but get their shopping from Asda (not delivered obviously) & would have lunch at Mc D’s.
    But I do suppose it makes a difference if you want to be seen as superior to all those who spend their money on things they value & are seen to eat cheap food, as opposed to those who like to be seen to have wealth but scrimp & scrape to make the facade seem believable.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I like my **** over-priced hipster food as much if not more than the the next man but sometimes a cheap dirty sausage roll just hits the spot.

Yeah bit isn’t that two extremes? The old bakery I was talking of served fresh crusty cobs with thick of good cheddar cheese and proper spanish onion. Butter too. As basic and as delicious as it comes, fresh, made to order, and cheap to purchase. Just a regular old bakery, the type that are being drowned away by the fast food versions selling generic, aggressively branded, low quality prepackaged frozen stuff served as fresh?

I’m all for choice, shame only old gits like us (in our forties or older) seem to appreciate an honest village bakery, nothing hip or overpriced about those places

mefty
    Free Member

Behold! REEVE!

No substitute for Snell’s

grum
    Free Member

It’s a shame that most small bakery businesses just aren’t viable in towns anymore

Two bakers in my small town and an artisan baking co-op in the next town that sell stuff here. 😉

I’m all for choice, shame only old gits like us (in our forties or older) seem to appreciate an honest village bakery, nothing hip or overpriced about those places

Nah I would prefer that to Greggs any day but there isn’t always one handy. Sometimes I actually have to leave Hebden Bridge, it’s ghastly.

onandon
    Free Member

Perhaps greggs is a government run organisation who lace their food with chemicals to sterilise the population who eat there, removing future generations of ‘plebs’ from the need of benifits and expensive NHS care.

hugo
    Free Member

It’s shite, but it’s cheap and plentiful shite.

Get what you pay for. It aims for a certain position in the market and hits it square on.

Pastry goods = bit rank

Cakes and donuts = ok but cheap

Sandwiches = mediocre

Bacon sarnie and fresh coffee for £1.50 = superb as it happens

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It does seem to house the shitest whitest bread, the sort that really does make you feel bloated and leaves you lacking in taste and flavour, finest minced bits and the rest, think I’ll pass though tuck in everyone else hopefully in accounting terms it knocks them off before they become a burden on the health service.

mogrim

Personally I’m concerned about the lack of binners on this thread… you don’t suppose the local Greggs has Sweeney Todded him???

lemonysam
    Free Member

Personally I’m concerned about the lack of binners on this thread… you don’t suppose the local Greggs has Sweeney Todded him???

As previously mentioned, Festive Bakes have arrived, I doubt he’ll be seen until spring.

gobuchul
    Free Member

The pastries and sandwiches may be cheap but the bread isn’t.

It’s very over priced for the quality. As above it is the worse sort of white bread out there.

Is there still a 24hr Greggs in Glasgow?

mattsccm
    Free Member

I can’t get over you lot saying that they are cheap!
    Any independent( not including those who cater for the more money than sense brigade) will beat them on price. Even the Tesco Metro type shops will.
    See my previous post about yumyums 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Binners is still on holiday I believe 🙂

duffle
    Free Member

*suspiciously eyes* Mols

On holiday you say…ummmm or in your sausage roll???

slowoldman

Well I had a tuna salad yesterday and it was OK (not as good as homemade or Philpotts but no surprise there). If that’s a bit healthy sounding for Greggs, I’d actually gone in for my elevenses bacon barm but thought I’d get lunch while I was there.

Really struggled to get past 10:30 without bacon today but I’m over the hump with the help of lots of tea and looking forward to cheese at lunchtime.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

binners has been having a classy holiday in Fuerteventura. 😀 I’m assuming it was an all-inclusive.

binners

There was no Greggs there though Bravissimo. I had to have it flown in daily.

And just for good measure, heres another piccy of my bike….

And all the usual Artisan-Bakery-only suspects dissing the purveyors of pastyness to a grateful nation should really try the Greegs steak and cheese rolls before commenting further. The crack cocaine of the pastry world. Like a steak bake, but even betterer 😀

chewkw
    Free Member

Greggs is popular because of the amount of shite cold sandwiches shite fillings being sold all over the place.

I mean how much cold food do you consume? Especially shite snandwiches?

I mean we are not actually starving and we are not in a post nuclear apocalyptic so why keep buying shite cold sandwiches?

These sandwiches are really shite, really … I mean bread with no flavour to be topped up with god knows who made the sandwiches. I mean people scratching their arses then rub their fingers all over your sandwiches … Shhiiitt!

I rather eat fish & chips knowing that everything is completely dead and full of lard.

You lost must start to eat some hot food for lunch and ditch the shite sandwiches you know. My colleague sitting next to me, who is very overweight, eat sandwiches everyday like no tomorrow and continue eating like a pig. Bloody disgusting …

Yes, hot food is expensive because we all want a high standard of living and living beyond our means so now you eat shite food. Greggs is serving warm food perhaps with melted hydrogenated fat nicely …

🙄

v8ninety

I just had a sausage roll, jam donut and a latte as a DIRECT RESULT of being reminded of Greggs’ existence. It really is true that there is no such thing as bad publicity.

(It was okay; sausage rolls aren’t quite as tasty as I remember, but coffee and donut were tasty)

MoreCashThanDash

I couldn’t choose between a steak and cheese roll or a steak bake this morning so I M’dTFU and got one of each.

And stuck a mental finger at all the naysayers on this thread.

chewkw
    Free Member

Whatever you eat avoid shite sandwiches … sandwiches are shite and shite they are.

Ya, cold food … shite that is in a cold country.

p/s: I am eating slightly spicy stir fried rice vermicelli noodle with monkfish pieces which I cooked last evening. I just heat it in microwave for 30 seconds now.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Why the obsession with Gregs?’ is closed to new replies.