• This topic has 132 replies, 80 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by STATO.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)
  • Why the obsession with Gregs?
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

I had a look in our local Gregs once. My impression was, it was full of ghastly cheap rubbish probably bought by people who like stodge, sugar and salt a lot.

jam-bo

mmmmm, stodge.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I assume you mean Greggs rather than Gregs? Look how cheery their staff are.

rickmeister

mmmmmm, Steakbake….

tops5
    Free Member

This is why..

wwaswas

This is why..

That’s easy for you to say.

spawnofyorkshire
    v8ninety

I’ve just decided what I’m having for post nights breakfast, ta

VanHalen

i too wouldnt waste my money in a greggs.

We have Canhams here in Hove

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Chicken oval bite’s frickin awesome – chicken and horseradish – who knew?

And of course wouldn’t be complete without a steak bake for pudding!

(and then pudding – coffee donut)

Incidentally we too have bakeries of distinction up here of whoms delicacies I regularly partake however a net cast wide makes for a bountiful catch

Gary_M
    Free Member

probably bought by people who like stodge, sugar and salt a lot.

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

nickc

it was full of ghastly cheap rubbish probably bought by people who like stodge, sugar and salt a lot.

you say that like it’s a bad thing…

globalti
    Free Member

Places like Greggs are the face of the world’s food manufacturing industry, which uses ship loads of fat, water, flour, sugar, salt and protein of dubious origin to produce a range of disgusting meals with a raw material cost of almost nothing.

There is only one possible exception to the rule that you must not eat things like pies:

nickc

great minds…. 8)

perchypanther
    Free Member

ads678

I had a look in our local Gregs once. My impression was, it was full of ghastly cheap rubbish probably bought by people who like stodge, sugar and salt a lot.

and your point is?

steve-g
    Free Member

Is the festive pasty out yet?

nullpointer
    Free Member

Apparently the festive bake is back in stores. Anyone want to comment on how good they are?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I’m hungry now.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The donuts are rubbish, even Krispy **** creme are better. There I said it. Same applies to most of their cakes, almost all disappointing, which is and a achievement seeing as even bad cake tastes good.

Savory stuff is great through.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Nothing like judging people for what they may have as an occasional treat or perhaps what they like to eat……for what it’s worth most Greggs I have been in seem to be frequented by less stuck up snob types than other eateries/refreshment houses/chains 😆

jools182
    Free Member

Greggs is awful

The only pie I’ve ever binned, and I was really hungry at the time

Like eating cardboard

No flavour at all, it doesn’t even feel like a guilty pleasure, bland, anaemic rubbish

STATO
    Free Member

Apparently the festive bake is back in stores. Anyone want to comment on how good they are?

They are nice but a little stuffing heavy, but then they kind of need to be to make them festive otherwise they are just a normal pasty.

I do love a bit of stodge but their tuna sandwiches are really nice, as are the veggie bean wraps.

squirrelking
    Free Member

The empty packet is good for greasing your chain with I suppose.

I’m not often a snob about food but Greggs is just horrific. I remember some greasy fat munter complaining that the Springbok burgers on display at an exotic meat stall were ‘disgusting’ all the time stuffing a Greggs “sausage” roll into her and her childs faces. The irony was completely lost on her.

I can think of far tastier ways to block my arteries.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Greggs chicken stuff gives Lady Pimp’s sister a migraine.

I don’t want to know what’s in it.

😡

wwaswas

Springbok burgers

Blimey those South Africans don’t treat their losing rugby players well, do they?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have perchypanther and binners ever been seen in the same room?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Have perchypanther and binners ever been seen in the same room?

….only until I ate him. 😯

Thank the lord. The suspense was killing me. I’ve been watching this thread for ages waiting for SOMEONE, ANYONE to drag Binners into this. It’s not a Greggs thread without him.

ahwiles
    Free Member

I had a pasty for lunch, w’peas* an’ Hendo’s.

There’s nowt wrong with a pastry-encased lunch, nothing at all.

(*slightly grey, as god intended)

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

A greggsnut and a reasonable cup of coffee for £2, winner winner.

globalti
    Free Member

Seriously, mass-market bakeries like Greggs use the cheapest hydrogenated vegetable fats, which are now known to accumulate in the body cavity making you FAT.

Facts About Hydrogenated Fats and Oils

rocketman
    Free Member

There’s a Greggs on the febrile hell pit industrial estate business park where I work

The other day some yobs working class chaps in a scabby white van stopped and asked me if there was anywhere to eat. When I mentioned Greggs they responded in the Black Country vernacular that they were looking for somewhere that serves propper food

fasthaggis

Last photo I saw of Woppit,he looked like someone that needed a Steak bake or two. A tiny whizned creature in a red cycling jacket 😉

grum
    Free Member

It’s shite but on occasion it’s satisfying shite. I like my **** over-priced hipster food as much if not more than the the next man but sometimes a cheap dirty sausage roll just hits the spot.

i too wouldnt waste my money in a greggs.

We have Canhams here in Hove

You’re doing a pisstake of a typical Hove snob here right? 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

Seriously, mass-market bakeries like Greggs use the cheapest hydrogenated vegetable fats, which are now known to accumulate in the body cavity making you FAT.

Oh no, if I eat another I might tip over 69kg.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Only ever visited Gr*ggs once on account of requiring a sausage roll. Limpid, pink-centred, air-filled, soft, greasy toss of a thing it was.

This bakery talk has me reminiscing about Leopolds of Cheltenham. Sausage rolls from heaven. Cheese and onion crusty cobs from another dimension, a strong, doorstop cheddary, buttery, squirtingly juicy spanish-onioned perfection of lunchey paradise. The apple turnovers were giant, tart, full, absolutely rammed with fresh cream. Just perfection. Workmates rated their dripping cakes above most all foodstuffs.

So I went Googling just now as haven’t been on a lunchbreak to Leopolds since 1990ish. What do I see on Edinburgh Place? Not Leopolds, no. I see Gr*ggs have taken over. Travesty of vile proportions.

Are Leopolds no more? *sob*.

‘Why obsession with Gr*ggs’? I assume people are resigned to the ongoing cultural collapse – when in Rome etc…

perchypanther
    Free Member

Oh no, if I eat another I might tip over 69kg.

FTFY 😀

jimjam
    Free Member

**** them. The one time I went in and asked for a sausage roll the surly trollop behind the counter threw me out a floopy cold (tepid at best) insult to the word. Never again.

DrJ

Canhams. Food for hipster jugglers.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No idea when they stopped (or if they ever used them), but there’s no hydrogenated veg fat in Greggs (and therefore no added trans fat either).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Why the obsession with Gregs?’ is closed to new replies.