Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 425 total)
  • Why our food is making us fat
  • grum
    Free Member

Cashews are good in moderation I think. Low GI and a good source of protein. For me at least a simplistic calorie in/out mindset is unhelpful, and there is clear research supporting this.

miketually
    Free Member

I just Googled Michael Pollan. He’s older than my mam, so maybe I should be eating what my great grandparents would have recognised as food, rather than my grandparents.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Been saying this for years!!

Solo
    Free Member
    miketually
    Free Member

I’m off now to have my lunch what I cooked yesterday. Mmmm, sausages.

Solo
    Free Member

The American College for Sports Medicine:

Exercise may be associated with better long-term weight control than dieting alone, but the influence of regular physical activity on weight regulation is complex. Although numerous experimental studies have documented the positive effect of exercise training on body weight and fat stores, far less is known about how regular exercise affects attained weight and the risk of weight gain in the general population. What few longitudinal data there are suggest that regular physical activity may be useful in minimizing age-related weight gain or reducing the risk of substantial weight gain, rather than in actually promoting weight loss.[/u] Nonetheless, primary prevention of substantial weight gain with age may be a more efficacious public health strategy for reducing the prevalence of obesity and obesity-related morbidity and mortality in the United States.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Fruit sugar is fructose, which is the ‘worst’ kind of sugar.

I thought fructose was a slower release type of sugar, and therefore less “unhealthy” (ignoring exercise nutrition here) than glucose type sugar?

phil.w
    Free Member

[quote]I thought fructose was a slower release type of sugar[/quote]

It is, fructose in fruit is low GI, possibly the best type of sugar you can have.

ourmaninthenorth

I’m off now to have my lunch what I cooked yesterday. Mmmm, sausages.

I had this for dinner last night and lunch today:

BBC recipe here.

Solo
    Free Member

Fructose isn’t metabolized the same way as other sugars are.
    It would seem that Humans aren’t best set-up for that and it has been linked to liver insulin resistance.

In small quantities, as it use to naturally occur, in wild fruit that hasn’t been bred over may years to be sweeter.
    It was ok.

But its now added to stuff and fruit has been bred to be sweeter.
    So now theres more fructose available than before.

If you want to know a bit more about Fructose, you might want to watch the video on Youtube “sugar, the bitter truth”.

I did have some fruit today, some blueberries.
    First fruit for me in about 6 months.
    It is summer though. Allegedly.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Vegan Moussaka, spuds and some chocolate cake.

I like STW, no one is responding to solo [ apt name 😉 ] yet they are posting away on his soapbox FFS even TJ required an adversary to do this.

Solo, I’m surprised The American College for Sports Medicine should focus on weight like that.
    I know that quote is probably a dumbed down summary of a longer article, but it’s always worth pointing out that weight, fat and health are not always directly linked.

Junkyard
    Free Member

said the healthy, fit, fat bastard 😉

Solo
    Free Member

Solo, I’m surprised The American College for Sports Medicine should focus on weight like that.
    I know that quote is probably a dumbed down summary of a longer article, but it’s always worth pointing out that weight, fat and health are not always directly linked.

I was recently flammed for stating a belief I held on this subject.

Since then I have been researching.

I have found Mr Banting’s letter and accompanying remarks, fascinating and also, somewhat familiar.

EDIT
    BTW, thanks for the recipe OurManintheNorth.

I’m near enough the same height & weight as Chris Hoy. 😛

mcboo
    Free Member

That bit in the article where it talked about foods being marketed as “low-fat” and therefore healthy struck a cord with me. I used to eat 4-6 M&S Low Fat yoghurts every work day as snacks until someone pointed out how much sugar was in there in place of the fat. 150 calories each, I’d have been no worse off eating Kit Kats all day.

I’d consider myself pretty well informed and I try and be as healthy as possible and yet I still get caught out by Marks and Spencers underhand marketing.

I was recently flammed for stating a belief I held on this subject.

I missed that thread. As a 95kg endurance athlete I might have had something to say. 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

pretty sure you are still owning him on endomondo 😆

Since then I have been researching

nobody likes a cheat 😉

phil.w
    Free Member

Since then I have been researching.

Solo, I’m under the impression you do a lot of reading on the subject. Have you read anything by Dr Sears?

IanMunro
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth, I followed that recipe too last night!
    And tonight, and the night after, and the nigh after that 🙂

Coke’s fine though as all calories are the same
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/story/2012-06-07/coke-q-and-a-coca-cola-mayor-bloomberg/55453016/1

grum
    Free Member

I’m gonna make that casserole tonight, cheers.

Solo
    Free Member

Phil.W

Thanks for the link, I will give it a look.

nobody likes a cheat

Actually you are right.
    My Bads, I’ve been attempting to learn more on the subject for quite sometime.

I suppose there could be worse pre-occupations.

Cougar

Just in case anyone is interested…

I struggle with long sentences, have you got the Cliff Notes?

druidh
    Free Member
    Solo
    Free Member

Cougar.

I don’t know what you mean.
    I recently discovered Banting and his letter.
    I was amazed to see that this subject has been hanging around since the Mid 19th Century.
    I find that letter very insightful, personally.

warton
    Free Member

Michael Pollan also said “Eat real food, mainly Plants”
    I try to follow this rule every day. I have blips of course, but if you cook from scratch every day for dinner, salads for lunch, whole grains for breakfast, like porridge, you’re pretty much there…

Jamie
    Free Member
    D0NK

fructose in fruit is low GI, possibly the best type of sugar you can have.

anybody got a “my head just exploded” smiley?

Jamie
    Free Member

anybody got a my head just exploded smiley?

D0NK

cheers jamie

mmm toulouse casserole looks nice, might have a crack at that.

miketually
    Free Member

What I’ve found interesting is people not understanding why I’m eating differently – “But why are you on a diet, you don’t need to lose weight…”

I’m not on diet.

I’m thinking about what I’m eating and I’m eating “differently” to “normal”, but I’m not on a diet and I’m not trying to lose weight.

phil.w
    Free Member

In a similar vein the bariatric women at work sees that I eat a lot and thinks I’m “lucky that I can eat what I like” whereas she has bad genes.

How do you polietly point out that it’s more what not how much to someone with a donut in their hand?

Solo
    Free Member

How do you polietly point out that it’s more what not how much to someone with a donut in their hand?

If this place has ever provided an indication of how such an attempt might turn out.

I’d suggest that you’d not bother.
    And perhaps thus has it ever been.
    Remarks by Banting indicate this was a hot topic, ~150 years ago.
    😯

I’ve read the links for that Zone Diet.
    Theres a few things I’d point out.

And I’ve worked my way through the OP’s post to the original news article.
    Which I found very interesting, thanks OP.

Interesting also is how people such as Lustig, through trying to find solutions to related problems.
    Are gradually lifting the lid on the working of the last 40 years and finding that the low fat, added sugar era is likely to be reflected upon in the future as how lots of people got really fat and suffered the related diseases of being over weight.

miketually
    Free Member

In a similar vein the bariatric women at work sees that I eat a lot and thinks I’m “lucky that I can eat what I like” whereas she has bad genes.

I get that a lot.

To be fair, I can eat pretty much what I want without getting particularly fat – I once managed to get my BMI into the top third of the normal range. However, I choose not to eat what I want which is why I’m a stone lighter than that.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Loving the advert for “drop 3 dress sizes and discover the shocking truth about Britains hottest diet” on the right.

jota180
    Free Member

My lunch today ….. but with deference to the popular fad diet around these parts, I forewent the fruit

Still losing around 1 – 2 lbs/week on my exercise everyday programme

miketually
    Free Member

My day:
    [list][*]Breakfast: scrambled eggs, slice of ham, baked beans[/*]
    [*]Dinner: three sausages with roast veg (carrots, courgettes and onions), chorizo and a handful of rocket[/*]
    [*]Tea: chicken with brocolli, leeks, onions and baby sweetcorn[/*][/list]

Usual 15 minute bike ride to work and 15 minute bike ride home.

Weight still dead on 69kg. As it’s been for the last 6 weeks, despite little slip ups like eating 17 chocolate digestives last Friday 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

No carbs then mike?
    I had fruit and fibre and a protein shake for brekkie
    Lunch was a grilled chicken breast salad with cottage cheese and coleslaw.
    Normally have a coupe of egg whites as a snack
    Creatine before and another Protein shake after gym
    having beef stew for tea (made in slow cooker)

It’s unadventurous but very low calorie, low fat, low carb and very high protein. I don’t know if I’m doing it right though.

donsimon
    Free Member

No carbs then mike?

Except the ones in the baked beans.

miketually
    Free Member

Except the ones in the baked beans.

And the veg.

I’ve tried logging today’s food on MyFitnessPal, and it’s reminded me why I stopped.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/miketually?date=2012-06-12

As usual, it’s telling me I’d weigh 65kg if I continue eating like this. It’s told me this for the last 6 weeks and I’ve not lost any weight at all.

I previously used it for a few fairly typical, consecutive days, to try to get an idea of what I’m eating. The only day I got close to my calorie target for the day was the day I went out for tapas and five pints 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 425 total)

The topic ‘Why our food is making us fat’ is closed to new replies.