Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 425 total)
  • Why our food is making us fat
  • grum
    Free Member

Normally have a coupe of egg whites as a snack

Dear god man!

alex222
    Free Member

in answer to the OP. Food makes us fat for several reasons

1. there is a lot of processed food readily available
    2. people believe that they are too busy to cook
    3. people believe that they are to busy to exercise
    4. lack of understanding about what is in food
    5. lack of skills available to prepare food
    6. humans are not evolved to eat what is made readily available/easy for us in ready meals
    7. instinct drives us to do the easiest thing possible
    8. people with no scruples are happy to exploit all of the above for money

miketually
    Free Member

I’m making Ton’s beans right now, ready for breakfast in the rest of the week.

Basic recipe: fry a chopped onion. Add 3 tins harocot beans and one carton of passata.

Tonight’s variation had a chopped pepper and some chorizo added to the onions. Plus a splash of balsamic and a glug of wine. And some chilli flakes and lots of black pepper. Am experimenting with 100g of red lentils too. The pre-beans-and-toms lentil/onion/pepper/chilli/chorizo mix is lovely.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For balanced I go for (this week ish)
    Breakfast
    Cereal or Toast Depending on how much I’m doing
    Bacon and Eggs sometimes on a weekend

Lunch
    Sandwiches

Evening Meal (one from)
    Lasagne
    Thai Curry (Fish or Chicken)
    Chicken and Veg Pasta
    Chilli and rice
    Steak Pie with roast and steamed veg

Plenty of fresh veg with the exception of the Thai curry things are made fresh from ingredients

Plenty of fresh fruit
    No Crisps or crap like that

miketually
    Free Member

balanced

Cereal or Toast

Sandwiches

Pasta

Pie

fruit

Controversial 🙂

cheers_drive

alex222 speaks sense. Some people think I’m crazy for the amount of time I spend cooking each evening (15-40 mins during week, an hour or two at weekends). Priorities I suppose.
    90% of my main lunch and evening meals are healthy. Breakfast is variable but not to bad, avoiding most highly processed cereals BUT I turn to sweets, chocolate and savoury processed crap for snacks.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Controversial

always

Couple it with exercise and everything is fine

Steady weight plenty of energy

Exercise more eat more

No real need to worry about hidden sugar

BUT I turn to sweets, chocolate and savoury processed crap for snacks

Many years ago I realised I was doing this out of boredom so got rid of crisps and chocolate from my diet. Lasted about 4 years. Only back in moderation now – helps not being bored at work

Junkyard
    Free Member

oh ok I will join in

Breakfast – nowt
    Dinner- 3 humous pitta breads with salad
    Snack: crisps and some biscuits
    Tea: Flapjack, chocolate cake and a peach
    3 hour bike ride
    A few minutes ago: Pasta with raw veg and some cherries

Chocolate cake looks nice but might have it for breakfast

All home made except the pittas

What do I win?

grum
    Free Member

Today

Breakfast – 2 bits of brown toast and a mango yoghurt
    Lunch – 2 poached eggs on brown toast with marmite
    Snack – 2 sticks of celery with hummus
    Tea – that sausage casserole above with a little bit of quinoa

All very tasty and I’m not hungry now. According to myfitnesspal I’m about 800 calories under for the day though!

sunnrider
    Free Member

What I don´t understand is why the hell don´t kids learn how to cook as part of their education at school. And I don´t mean an optional 1 hour a week home economics class.

I´m looking into teaching kids still at school(I´m a chef). Since even here, in Spain, the fact that both parents have to work and are too tired/too lazy to cook decent food, coupled with the rise in popularity of industrial processed junk has lead to an obesity epidemic. This was once one of the healtiest places in europe, lots of fresh veg. and fish.

My solution:
    Teach the kids about healthy balanced eating and how to source food and cook for themselves.
    Super-tax anything with hfcg in it and use the money to subsidise organic food.
    Eat healthy home cooked food and have a blowout (takeaway/eat what you want) day once every week or two, until it´s no longer necessary.

oldgit
    Free Member

Got to shoot off to work, so can’t read all this. Regardless of what science throws up every now and then, there is simply too much food. And not an obsession as such, but almost like an underhand mind **** campaign to keep us thinking and talking about food.
    We’ve turned food into some sort of art culture, but we can’t draw.

I did skim over and noticed some good points. Like how we turn something we pull out of the ground and bung in boiling water to eat, into God knows what coated rubbish.

Too the ‘oldgit’ bit. When I was growing up everyone was a bit hungry before they ate. And though parents worked long and hard and had virtually no gizmos to help in the kitchen, just oven and hob. Good food was prepared daily. The same food you can buy cheaply to this day.
    I also recall that the average house didn’t have things like crisps, sweets or fizzy drink in it, I don’t think supermarkets even sold that sort of stuff. Even biscuits were a weekend treat. Though strangely fat and sugar were embraced with relish, but were only available in small measures – mmmm dripping and salt sandwiches.
    Portions have also changed. The sizes of chocolate bars you buy with your petrol are massive, the combined Christmas chocolate booty of a 60/70s kid was nothing compared the one king size two for one bar the punters pick up today.
    Like someone said up there, it isn’t rocket surgery.
    It had one downside, the one single slightly overweight kid in town had his/her like made hell.

oldgit
    Free Member

If convenience food went overnight would we therefore all starve to death before we found time to boil a spud.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

in answer to the OP. Food makes us fat for several reasons

1. there is a lot of processed food readily available
    2. people believe that they are too busy to cook
    3. people believe that they are to busy to exercise
    4. lack of understanding about what is in food
    5. lack of skills available to prepare food
    6. humans are not evolved to eat what is made readily available/easy for us in ready meals
    7. instinct drives us to do the easiest thing possible
    8. people with no scruples are happy to exploit all of the above for money

These are not reasons they are excuses
    1) Just because it’s there doesn’t mean you need to buy it.
    2) Being too lazy busy to cook means you are lazy – not the fault of the food. Good simple food can be cooked in minutes
    3) Too busy to exercise!! Well best eat less then (again not fault of any food)
    4) Possibly poor education and confusing labels don’t help but taking no interest in food – one of the most basic of all needs is asking for trouble.
    5) Time to get out and learn how to cook.
    6) Not being evolved to eat crap ready meals – well don’t eat them.
    7) Instinct drives some people to do the easiest thing – the rest of us might live longer (Darwin time)
    8) People are happy to be exploited??

Time to wake up and work it out. All credit to Jamie Oliver for the stuff he has done in the past. I can see why he hasn’t done any more as it must be demoralising to see how people are not doing anything about it. If you tick 3/4 of the 1st list or more time to take a look at yourself and whats important to you. The only person in charge of what food you eat is you.

A lack of personal responsibility is the biggest threat to life rather than anything else.

Solo
    Free Member

Too busy to exercise!! Well best eat less then

Eating less ?.
    •At the moment, the government efforts to curb obesity and diabetes avoid the all-too-apparent fact, as Hilde Bruch pointed out more than half a century ago, that exhorting obese people to eat less and exercise more doesn’t work, and that this shouldn’t be an indictment of their character but of the value of the advice.

alex222
    Free Member

mikewsmith – I wasn’t reflecting on my own eating habits. I always make dinner even though there is a canteen. I always make my tea and I don’t eat cereal from a box. I was reflecting on what I have heard people say seen people do and also from visiting supermarkets.

However What you have said was kind of implied in what I was saying.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

However What you have said was kind of implied in what I was saying

Yeah, it was mostly my rant in there. Just sick of people looking for excuses to absolve them of responsibility. Time to retire the State Nannies and get people to look after themselves.

yunki
    Free Member

Solo
    Free Member

Yeah, it was mostly my rant in there. Just sick of people looking for excuses to absolve them of responsibility. Time to retire the State Nannies and get people to look after themselves.

I’m glad you two worked that out.

I would just add to Mike’s comments, in bold, that we might also try to omitt the bad info generated by those who seek to gain by distorting certain facts.
    To serve big business, share holders, etc.
    In the worst context of the obesity epidemic.
    People have met an early and unecessary demise, for having the wrong information given to them.
    Which imo, is truely pityful.

The article in the OP effectively, for me, tracked how we have arrived at where we are now, wrt to being in the middle of a full blown epidemic.
    It hasn’t happened by accident.

wrecker
    Free Member

Grum;

Dear god man!

Wha?

mikewsmith; how old are you if you don’t mind me asking?

jota180
    Free Member

What I don´t understand is why the hell don´t kids learn how to cook as part of their education at school. And I don´t mean an optional 1 hour a week home economics class.

They did when I was at school, well the girls did, along with learning how to wash and iron etc.
    The boys did woodwork and metalwork instead

You see, it’s all this modern equality nonsense that’s causing the problem 😀

Oh, and for dinner tonight, my good lady is making mince and dumplings and veg with Eve’s pudding and custard for afters
    I believe that will satisfy the ‘would grandparents recognise it as food’ criteria, as well as tasting damn fine

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Wrecker I’m 33.

Think having grown up on a farm and worked out how food works fairly early on in life.

wrecker
    Free Member

Think having grown up on a farm and worked out how food works fairly early on in life.

No offence, but your diet doesn’t look that healthy to me. I reckon it’ll catch up with you.

globalti
    Free Member

The food industry exists for the profits that can be made from processing SHIPLOADS (not just truckloads) of industrial commodities like sugar, fat, flour, water and salt into edible food. If people knew the unit cost of those commodities in their food and the profits being made by food manufacturers they would be shocked. The profits are inflated even further if you go and eat that food in a pub or restaurant.

You’re probably better off eating Indian food – at least that is mostly cooked from proper ingredients. The biggest problem is the high amount of ghee used.

IanMunro
    Free Member

A lack of personal responsibility is the biggest threat to life rather than anything else.

Out of interest, and this is a genuine question, do you think there has been a fundamental change in human character over the last half of the 20th century and into the 21st century?
    If so, what do you think has caused it?
    If not, why do you think people are getting fatter?

Solo
    Free Member

Learing to cook.
    In my case, I didn’t find it difficult to follow written instruction, such as I found it in a cook book.

I haven’t looked back since.

From a time long before the web and all the vids that are out there now.
    Not to mention recipes such as the one OurManintheNorth posted yesterday.

But its taken a very long time for the meassage about sugar and insulin, to reach me.

That only happened a few years ago.
    So before then, I feel that I was just as misinformed as a lot of other people appear to be.
    I was focused on low fat and didn’t pay any attention to the refined carbs within some foods.

In my case though, better late than never, is fine by me.
    🙂

MikewSmith has a good point, I don’t think theres really too many good excuses for people not to prepare their own food, starting with basic ingredients.
    If anything, it makes going to a restaurant or buying a takeaway, even more enjoyable as its not a regular thing and just once in a while, someone else gets to cook and wash-up.

jota180
    Free Member

Life expectancy is soaring, if we convince everyone to eat reasonably, we’ll never cope or afford their pensions, so just back off everyone 😆

yunki
    Free Member

where are all these fatties..?

I’m just not seeing them…
    I’m seeing a lot of middle aged financially comfortable men whingeing about being fat (shock horror).. and I’m seeing the sensationalist press talking about it.. but out there in the real world..?

Where are all these obese people..?

jota180
    Free Member

Probably watching Jeremy kyle and munching Doritos

hilldodger
    Free Member

there you go……….

…….to the land where batter counts as a vegetable 😆

Solo
    Free Member

Out of interest, and this is a genuine question, do you think there has been a fundamental change in human character over the last half of the 20th century and into the 21st century?
    If so, what do you think has caused it?
    If not, why do you think people are getting fatter?

As for change in character, I’d offer for consideration, not so much a change in charactder, but more a change in lifestyle.
    Things that were suppose to aid us, give us more time, make life easier.
    Seem to have just enabled us to work longer and harder to the point where people no longer think they might have the time to prepare food for themselves.

People are getting fatter for a combination of reasons.
    Related to the advise they are given.
    They’re lifestyle.
    Imo.

Solo
    Free Member

..to the land where batter counts as a vegetable
    😆

I shouldn’t laugh, but that is funny.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

wrecker – Member

No offence, but your diet doesn’t look that healthy to me. I reckon it’ll catch up with you.

Glad you think so. Doing Ok so far and happy that I know what is in my food. More than can be said for most.

If things catch up with me I will modify it as I go. It is currently winter here hence more of the warm food than the salads.

I will also not try and blame anyone but myself if I pile on a few more pounds

miketually
    Free Member

I was in the public swimming pool in Stockton last weekend. Based on the sights I saw there, the percentage of people in this country who are obese is massively under-reported.

Scarily, these are people who are doing some exercise.

emsz
    Free Member

Are you kidding? Go and sit in any town centre midweek, and watch them!!

every doctors is full of them, every shop is full of them.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

In america there have been reported cases of bears and racoons with diabetes due to them eating junk food out of dustbins , so its not just human nature to go for the easiest sugar rusj !!!!

wrecker
    Free Member

Ever been in an Asda?

Solo
    Free Member

In america there have been reported cases of bears and racoons with diabetes due to them eating junk food out of dustbins , so its not just human nature to go for the easiest sugar rusj !!!!

I assume thats T2D, as they were unlikely to be born Diabetic.

druidh
    Free Member

wrecker – mikewsmiths diet looks pretty similar to mine. When do you reckon it will “catch up” with me?

wrecker
    Free Member

Tomorrow? I don’t know do I?
    It’s very similar to my old diet. I’m far leaner now I’ve changed it.
    Don’t try to tell me that curry in a packet is a healthy option.

thomthumb
    Free Member

everywhere, seems to me like most people i see could do with shifting a few kg. lots of people being a bit overweight makes those who are a ‘mildly obese’ look a bit overweight and those who are morbidly obese appear mildly obese.

our perception of overweight is changing.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 425 total)

The topic ‘Why our food is making us fat’ is closed to new replies.