Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Why do cyclists go through red lights?
  • AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Possibly opening a can of worms here but…

I just cant understand it. I have lived in London 1.5 years now and just learned to live with people doing it, for a while I went through a phase of telling people ‘why you doing through the red light? its daft’ and they simply couldn’t give a f*ck.

I really cant understand why people do it? Do any of you do it and if so why?

Jamie
    Free Member

Possibly opening a can of worms here but…

Nah, it’s still open from last time.

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah just read the ridiculously long thread from last time to see folk saying how much safer it is.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

link?

Jamie
    Free Member

mrmo
    Free Member

having watched three cars jump a red earlier, i guess you could ask why do drivers jump red lights?

I guess it is easy to see cyclists as the problem rather than consider why.

humans will do what they want, if you don’t like it you have to design the situation to stop them.
    If a cyclist jumps a red light they may get hurt, if a car jumps a red light, well everyone else will get hurt and the driver will be fine.

bristolbikeproject
    Free Member

Why do cyclists keep posting the same old threads?

Stoner
    Free Member

conservation of expensive momentum, IMO.

trolleywheels
    Free Member

Trying to top a Strava segment?

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

link me to the previous one and ill shut up

bristolbikeproject
    Free Member

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Why will this boring troll post get way more views than my post?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bristol-based-bike-mechanics-needed

Grrr!

Jamie
    Free Member

Why will this boring troll post get way more views than my post?

It’s why The Daily Mail gets more hits than more worthier online publications.

convert

one

one?!?!?!? Are you talking today, this week, this month?

try this one for something from the last few days

Jamie
    Free Member

link me to the previous one and ill shut up

I already did. Click the link.

pdw
    Free Member

I really cant understand why people do it? Do any of you do it and if so why?

Do you always wait for the green man on a pedestrian crossing?

Not a RLJer myself, but in terms of risk to self vs risk to others, it’s a pretty arbitrary distinction to make.

teethgrinder

Why do cyclists go through red lights?

To get to the other side?

Dibbs
    Free Member

Because sitting at the red light at 6 in the morning, waiting for a car to come along and trigger the sensor for you, is boring.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

I do it, it’s all about risk assessment, approaching a set I can see it clear then I’ll have no hesitation in doing so, it’s all down to circumstance, and knowing your limits,

glupton1976
    Free Member

I reckon the best was to reduce crashes on the roads would be to remove all signage, road markings and traffic lights.

crazy-legs

There was an article recently on road.cc where someone (maybe from TfL?) had said to a Dutch guy from their equivalent of the Highways Agency about cyclists jumping red lights and his answer was “well there’s something wrong with your junctions then”.

RustySpanner

RLJer’s should all be shot at the side of the road.

I may consider kneecapping instead of a headshot for cyclists, dependant on wheel size.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

2 Observations

1) This subject really brings out the worst in people.
    2) “Anus” as a username?!

steviecapt
    Free Member

because everyone has to be there 2 mins ago, same as car drivers who have to get one car in front of you, even though it doesnt get them anywhere, apart from next to you at the next junction, and more crap excuses, its their life, it they wanna risk it thats up to them, but usually theres more than one person involved when the shit hits the fan, they get no sympathy from me what so ever, what goes around comes around, sooner or later their luck will run out, law of averages, then its other people who have to pick up the pieces.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Who cares…
    Really, do we have to do this again?
    How about a different question?
    Like why do some drivers think it’s ok to run over cyclists?

oldnpastit

Why are roads designed around cars, rather than bikes and pedestrians?

epo-aholic
    Free Member

‘cos they are tit’s but as previously mentioned drivers also do it…..it’s just human nature! 🙄

garage-dweller

Clearly because they wish to reinforce the stereotype that we are all lawless hypocrites.

Personally I think you are as mad doing it on a bike as in a car. If for no better reason than it wins car drivers up.

Hold on who is that trip trapping over my bridge. Are you a goat?

Northwind

Because bikes are never in more danger than when they’re sitting still. Because we can’t win the traffic light gp. Because it’s completely safe unless you’re a div. Because roads are designed for cars with no consideration to bikes. Because people dislike cyclists anyway. Because the one on my old commute would never change for a cyclist. Because it helps all traffic to keep moving. All these things and more, all these things and more, that’s what RLJ threads mean to me…

Gribs

I did it yesterday up north. 2 way traffic lights with a long gap and I’m heading uphill. I set off once the traffic coming the other way had stopped so I could be sure of getting through and so I caused minimal disruption to the traffic behind. City RL jumpers just tend to be **** though.

brakes
    Free Member

because they are lazy
    because they can get away with it
    because they are selfish
    because they think they are somehow sticking it to the man by doing so
    because 1 in every 100 lights are activated by cars and not bicycles
    because someone else did it in front of them, baaaa
    because they think it’s safer
    because they are late for work
    because they are racing someone/ thing
    because they think it will somehow magically change cycling infrastructure for the better
    because of strava
    because some idiot cut them up at the last junction so they smashed their wing mirror off and are now fleeing the scene of the crime

none of which are really reason enough
    in my opinion of course

imnotverygood

Dunno. I think the last one is fair enough.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Temporary road work lights when there is a small gap between the lights either side and you can see the road is clear and it’s quite country lane with no one else about. That’s ok.

jonnyb1972
    Free Member

I don’t I jump on the kerb and go round it 🙂 am I the only person that does this ? That’s the best thing of a MTb on roads…

jonnyb1972
    Free Member

Non city btw

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Why do cyclists go through red lights?’ is closed to new replies.