Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 1,323 total)
  • Why are you atheists so angry?
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

but there are an awful lot of planets on which it didn’t

Are there? And you know this how?

LHS
    Free Member

I just saw God buying an egg mayo sandwich at my Sainsburys local.

GrahamS

> but there are an awful lot of planets on which it didn’t
    Are there? And you know this how?

Didn’t you say earlier that you believe the universe to be infinite Elf?
    So doesn’t it follow that there are an infinite number of planets?

Last time I looked, “infinite” was very much a super-set of “an awful lot of”. 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ok, I interpreted this (badly worded statement):

I understand how tempting it is to think that something so complex as human life couldn’t possibly develop without a bit of a helping hand – but there are an awful lot of planets on which it didn’t.

As ‘there’s no life on other planets’. Even if it’s ‘there’s no Human life on other planets’, how is this ‘known’?

It’s not. We’ve never even set foot on any other planet. So we know nowt about them, or the life forms they may or may nor contain.

It’s very possible there are lifeforms so complex it’s beyond our puny Human comprehension.

It’s also equally possible we truly are the only ‘intelligent’ species in the whole Universe.

All sorts of things are possible.

Like the existence of God….

aracer
    Free Member

As ‘there’s no life on other planets’. Even if it’s ‘there’s no Human life on other planets’, how is this ‘known’?

It’s not. We’ve never even set foot on any other planet. So we know nowt about them, or the life forms they may or may nor contain.

It appears to be broadly accepted that we know about several other planets on which life hasn’t evolved, and only one on which it has. Hardly a huge leap then if we accept there are a lot of other planets, that there are a lot of other planets on which life hasn’t evolved.

Also see the Fermi paradox.

Junkyard
    Free Member

All sorts of things are possible

you need to consider probabilities not possibilities.
    Its possible elvis created the universe and he is there waiting for us all after death with Shiva, Ghandi and the dead one from the Bee Gees to give us 65 virgins and let us know the true asnwer to “what tyre” .
    I would however say it is highly improbable.
    Do we know everything – NO – do you wish to make more accurate approximations [ probabilities] or just make wildly inaacurate assumptions [ possibilities]

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

i’ve changed my mind. there is a god. i feel i little silly now. he’s tiny and spread out, like midi-chlorians, so science hasn’t developed enough to see him yet. halleluja.

i still think organised religion is a load of cobblers though.

GrahamS

Because if the universe is infinite, as you stated, then there are an infinite number of planets without life on them.

And also an infinite number of planets with life on them 😀

It’s also equally possible we truly are the only ‘intelligent’ species in the whole Universe.

In an infinite universe the chance of us being the only intelligent species is exactly zero. 🙂

Like the existence of God….

Or an infinite number of Gods. 😆

mcboo
    Free Member

I’ve almost finished Brian Cox’s “Quantum Universe”. Its a mind warp but still makes a whole lot more sense than the bible.

Junkyard
    Free Member

fI orget who it was but I loved the descriptions of him.

It is like listening to a stoned northener tell you about his favourite cake shop.

You see [hear] a different side of him on the Infinite Monkey Puzzle

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00snr0w

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member
    All sorts of things are possible

you need to consider probabilities not possibilities.
    Its possible elvis created the universe and he is there waiting for us all after death with Shiva, Ghandi and the dead one from the Bee Gees to give us 65 virgins and let us know the true asnwer to “what tyre” .
    I would however say it is highly improbable.
    Do we know everything – NO – do you wish to make more accurate approximations [ probabilities] or just make wildly inaacurate assumptions [ possibilities]

Junkyard – he knows this, but he just can’t help himself. It comes in phases…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

BTW read up on Utts. Looks like her statistics were kosher but the experiment which handed her the figures to crunch had a few issues. So her work seems fine, the data is a bit suspect. Also a small sample size too.

For me to accept this would involve repetition of the experiment involving a couple of thousand subjects (minimum) and – more importantly – a double blind trial with more than just four pictures as a sample (say 10 or 50). If it shown then to be statistically significant then more experimentation and analysis.

But the trials she did showed statistical significance. How do you propose caryying out a double blind trial in this context? Where do you get the criterion of 2000 subjects from? What’s the theoretical basis for this? Furthermore, are you loking at the stargate or meta-analysis findings?

That’s the scientific way… But the meta study was exactly about this.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Junkyard – he knows this, but he just can’t help himself. It comes in phases…

Ooh, another snidey little personal dig. Classy, Woppit, classy…

Because if the universe is infinite, as you stated, then there are an infinite number of planets without life on them.

And also an infinite number of planets with life on them

🙂 I’ve now boggled me own mind trying to get me head round it all. It is truly overwhelmingly bewildering…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Is the Chrimbo Ride still on, Fred?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Not for you it’s not.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Why’s that, then? Don’t you want a pint and a chat anymore? 😥

aracer
    Free Member

It’s because he doesn’t believe in Christmas.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No it’s simply because I want to avoid any unpleasantness which might affect others on the ride. Cos I could, like, have one of my ‘phases, you know? Best you stay away.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Oh well. See you at the next super-sexy, then. Ciao, baby.

theboycopeland
    Free Member

the debate continues….excellent!

Issues of organised religion and the pursuit of man to gain power in the name of religion aside……it seems to me that the main issue as to why atheists are angry is what it would mean for them if God did exist.

Is the anger directed towards God therefore a response to the notion of sin? This idea that as humans we have missed the mark, that we have intentionally chosen to do wrong despite knowing what is right and as a result we are seperated from God – who is described as the very essence of good?

In response to the fire and brimstine debate…..what are folks thoughts on the idea that hell is not God’s choice for man, rather man’s choice to be seperate from God?

aracer
    Free Member

it seems to me that the main issue as to why atheists are angry is what it would mean for them if God did exist.

Really? Did you not listen to the video in the OP?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Really? Did you not listen to the video in the OP?

It seems that you don’t need to watch the video to start questioning and casting doubt.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

it seems to me that the main issue as to why atheists are angry is what it would mean for them if God did

I think that once you’ve set your stall out as vehemently as someone here have, the idea that you might, just might, possibly actually be wrong is something that needles away mercilessly in the backs of their minds, hence why they’re so evangelical about their beliefs…

Certainly seems that the ones that ‘need’ to be right more than others are in fact the atheists.

I’m an atheist and I am right

Well, there is actually the possibility that you might be wrong, you know?

NO I AM NOT WRONG I AM AN ATHESIST THERE IS NO GOD WE ARE NEVER WRONG!

*EXPLODE*

😆

crikey
    Free Member

All very entertaining, all all very wrong. The basic premise, that atheists are angry, is wrong. Atheists are not angry because there isn’t much to be angry about; I think we have already covered most of the ground, probably ad nauseaum.

It is interesting to see the way people like Elfin argue about this; ascribe a negative emotion to others, then criticise it. It’s hardly a sensible way to debate is it?

The positive things that this thread have brought out, the way religion works at a personal level, the way the contradictions inherent in religion are played out at a personal level have been interesting to see. The blustering and silliness from others, much less so.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

All very entertaining, all all very wrong. The basic premise, that atheists are angry, is wrong. Atheists are not angry because there isn’t much to be angry about; I think we have already covered most of the ground, probably ad nauseaum.

But that atheist, claiming to speak for atheists said that they were angry, so in the same way that christians or muslims or whatever are held responsible for the actions of others who identify themselves as such, you will need to account for her actions.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It is interesting to see the way people like Elfin argue about this; ascribe a negative emotion to others, then criticise it. It’s hardly a sensible way to debate is it?

It’s the way most of you ‘fundamantalists’ come across. That you can’t see it is due to your own lack of self-awareness.

Sorry, but that’s how it is.

I mean, look; you’re getting angry now. As you did last night. Hence your poorly veiled attempt to rile me. Others have said pretty much what I have, yet it’s me who you single out for ‘attack’.

It’s cos deep down, you love me really. 😀

X

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Elfin – putting the fun in fundamentalist
    Crikey – putting the dam in fundamentalist
    aracer – putting the mentalist in fundamentalist

GrahamS

Excellent. Proof that Elfin is wrong and I’m right . Again. Thanks 😀

crikey
    Free Member

I mean, look; you’re getting angry now. As you did last night. Hence your poorly veiled attempt to rile me. Others have said pretty much what I have, yet it’s me who you single out for ‘attack’.

Of we go again with the schoolboy nonsense. I’m not interested in riling you, but I object to the way you treat this place as your own private fiefdom and break up threads with stupidity. No need for it; you are intelligent enough not to have to do it.

I’m not going to answer Charlie; he can sense what I’m thinking..

Charlie and Elf; putting the fundament into fundamentalist.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

crikey – Member

Of we go again with the schoolboy nonsense. I’m not interested in riling you

No of course not …… perish the thought.

This was you yesterday trying to wind up Elf on a thread titled “Feeling pretty down at the moment” in which the OP expressed how she was “struggling”

crikey – Member

Ego pwned…

crikey – Member

Really? I shall begin calling you 40 watt egosafety, cos you are not bright. Do tell how many logins you are up to now?

crikey – Member

Tell you what, why not use Sue_Ws thread to boost your on-line ego… Oh, you already have.

crikey – Member

p
    w
    n
    e
    d

You couldn’t resist trying to start a slagging match with Elf, despite it being on a sensitive and serious thread. Shameful, to say the least.

crikey
    Free Member

Selective editing there ern, Elf started off on a how do you know about poverty thing and was stopped in his tracks. So yes he did get it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No, Crikey, let’s have this right, seeing as how you obviously want to make something out of nothing here:

I questioned Zedsdead’s ‘experience’ of abject poverty, something I have in fact witnessed myself, as he/she was on an internet forum, which requires access to a computer with internet connection, which costs a hell of a lot more money than those in abject poverty have, if indeed they have anything at all. Such people in places like India where ZD works, are also often illiterate, and certainly would be incredibly unlikely to have a mastery of the English language necessary to converse on said forum. So, I thought that ZD was trying to make a point but being overly emotive about things, hence why I questioned them the way I did. It seemed extremely unlikely that someone actually ‘experiencing*’ such poverty would in fact be on the forum.

*I took ‘experiencing’ to mean someone actually ‘suffering’ poverty. Maybe our wires got crossed somewhere. I have a better understanding of where ZD’s coming from now, anyway.

Ok so, I think there was a reasonable understanding between us in the end, and I understood the point ZD was trying to make, as did others, it seems. Ernie certainly understands where I’m coming from anyway.

So, quite a bit of understanding going on.

You, on the other hand, simply used it as an excuse to have a pop at me, which I thought was uncalled for and unfair. I attempted to bring a bit of humour into proceedings, but you seemed intent on ‘winning’. So I din’t bother any further.

Lately, you seem to have taken umbrage with me, which I think’s a bit of a shame cos we seemed to get on ok on here previously.

Let’s just draw a line here, and move on.

Excellent. Proof that Elfin is wrong and I’m right . Again. Thanks

As for you, Graham; I shall deal with you once I’ve calmed down from the outrage caused by your quite frankly slanderous claim, which may actually even be racist I jolly well have not quite worked it out yet cos I’m too upset. 😐

‘Elfin is wrong’ indeed. Elfin is wrong?? I BEG your pudden? What perversion of thought could possibly produce such a preposteration??? 😕

GrahamS

‘Elfin is wrong’ indeed. Elfin is wrong?? I BEG your pudden? What perversion of thought could possibly produce such a preposteration???

Not trying to be antagonistic, just trying to understand Human Behaviour is all.
    So, why do you spend so much time trying to claim you’re right?

Constantly. You can deny this, but you speshly Elf are someone who needs to be ‘right’ in arguments on here, much more than others.

😉

yunki
    Free Member

I thought of a really interesting and thought provoking post to add to this thread a couple of days ago whilst I was doing the washing-up.. I really think it would have revolutionised the way that we all think about religion and belief systems..
    flippin’ awesome post it was..

ho hum.. 😕

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Constantly. You can deny this, but you speshly Elf are someone who needs to be ‘right’ in arguments on here, much more than others.

I don’t think this is something Elfin does deliberately. We don’t crticise him for always neeeding to be short or being braaaahn. He can’t help the factthat he is always right, i think we just have to accept him like that.

leffeboy

Sounds a bit like the start of the hitch hikers guide
    Edit: yunkis post that is

Kevevs
    Free Member

holy krakatoa! I missed this one. Is everyone cool! and if yer not then chill out and have a biscuit. I have biscuits.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Not trying to be antagonistic, just trying to understand Human Behaviour is all.
    So, why do you spend so much time trying to claim you’re right?

😆

I love you Graham. 🙂

I don’t think this is something Elfin does deliberately. We don’t crticise him for always neeeding to be short or being braaaahn. He can’t help the factthat he is always right, i think we just have to accept him like that.

Again, 😆

GrahamS

Love you too Elf.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 1,323 total)

The topic ‘Why are you atheists so angry?’ is closed to new replies.