Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,323 total)
  • Why are you atheists so angry?
  • MSP

I’m angry because I’ve got a really sore neck and can’t sleep.

Try stretching before sleeping, kneel down next to your bed, clasp your hands together in front of your chest and stretch your neck muscles by gently rolling your head forward…..

surfer
    Free Member

I think it could be summarised better as ‘if you don’t believe in what I believe, then you are an ignorant narrow minded idiot’

Be fair not all believers say that.

aracer
    Free Member

Have to admit I’m really enjoying all the comments about being narrow minded coming from those people who haven’t listened to what she has to say 😆

chutney13
    Free Member

apparently the only people with aids in africa are “dodgy hookers”.

binners

Yeah, but its shagging dodgy hookers then shagging your partner thats the problem, innit?

So is it the popes fault, or not?

ratherbeintobago

When atheists start committing acts of terrorism, blowing people up

In the interests of getting banned, I shall point out that, among other terrorists/freedom fighters, the INLA, the Shining Path and sundry Asian groups are hardcore Marxists-Leninists or Maoists, doctrines noted for their rejection of religion.

Andy

surfer
    Free Member

Yeah, but its shagging dodgy hookers then shagging your partner thats the problem, innit?

It certainly is for the female partner, how do you square that?

RustySpanner

I’m not angry. This IS my happy face.

joao3v16
    Free Member

When atheists start committing acts of terrorism, blowing people up

I think you’ll find that none of the major world religions promote or encourage any of these things.

They’re the result of people/groups using religion as a front for their own agenda.

surfer
    Free Member

I think you’ll find that none of the major world religions promote or encourage any of these things.

I think you will find that they all do. Many go into detail. Of course you choose to ignore this detail.

Cougar

among other terrorists/freedom fighters, the INLA, the Shining Path and sundry Asian groups are hardcore Marxists-Leninists or Maoists, doctrines noted for their rejection of religion.

That’s a tad disingenuous. Hitler was atheist too, of course. However, there’s a difference between “terrorists who happen to also reject religion” and “terrorist who are terrorists in the name of atheism”.

I’m not aware of any atheist terror movements; it’s not a belief system which encourages suicide bombers, for example.

Cougar

They’re the result of people/groups using religion as a front for their own agenda.

Whilst this may be true, they’re not exactly actively discouraging it either.

chutney13
    Free Member

yes, everything is the pope’s fault. everything is that one dimensional, so feel free not to use a condom in a country where aids is rife and blindly trust that anyone you sleep with is clean. that’s faith.

D0NK

They’re the result of people/groups using religion as a front for their own agenda. True but religion has created this rather useful tool for controlling the populous which is then exploited by naughty people.

Plus most religions seem to be pretty intolerant of other religions. (might be old testement/back in the day, before we got all touchy feely inclusive, we’re not like that anymore no siree).

Pyro

Mcboo “militant” may be the wrong term, but I think you know what I mean. I dislike the smugness of Dawkins “I’ll believe in your god if you can prove he exists”. Faith is a personal thing, why should someone be called to account for something entirely personal to them?

crikey
    Free Member

Try stretching before sleeping, kneel down next to your bed, clasp your hands together in front of your chest and stretch your neck muscles by gently rolling your head forward…..

😆

chutney13
    Free Member

2.3 million children with hiv/aids in sub saharan africa. all of them dodgy hookers.

ratherbeintobago

it’s not a belief system which encourages suicide bombers, for example.

I am reasonably sure the Tamil Tigers use of suicide bombing wasn’t motivated by religion.

Andy

Cougar

Faith is a personal thing, why should someone be called to account for something entirely personal to them?

I’m about seven minutes into the OP’s video now, I’m stop / starting it whilst I’m working. She’s talking about how, in the US at least, people have lost custody battles purely on the grounds of being atheist. This is the sort of thing that needs “calling to account,” not personal belief. That’s now what we’re talking about here.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Hitler was atheist too, of course

An oft quoted “fact” that is totally wrong. Hilter was most certainly a theist.

RustySpanner

Faith is a personal thing

Well that’s the problem right there isn’t it?

Ever heard of evangelism? The missions? Preachy god botherers who stop you in the street to tell you that you’ll burn in hell unless you believe?
    Politicians who invoke religion to justify the harm they plan to inflict?

As soon as all religionists keep their ‘faith’ completely to themselves, perhaps the rest of us will stop challenging their pathetically irrational beliefs and mocking their credulity.

Deal?

mcboo
    Free Member

Thomas Jefferson lived before Darwin, he struggled to make sense of the universe without a creator. Lets remind ourselves.

The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.

and

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own. It is easier to acquire wealth and power by this combination than by deserving them, and to effect this, they have perverted the purest religion ever preached to man into mystery and jargon, unintelligible to all mankind, and therefore the safer engine for their purposes.

and

Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus

and finally referring to the University of Virginia in 1814

A professorship of theology should have no place in our institution

IanMunro
    Free Member

Mcboo “militant” may be the wrong term, but I think you know what I mean. I dislike the smugness of Dawkins “I’ll believe in your god if you can prove he exists”. Faith is a personal thing, why should someone be called to account for something entirely personal to them?

On the whole I agree, though I get slightly anxious if that person is in a position of power, and their personal faith has the potential to influence public policy.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

gonefishin – yes, he was a staunch atheist who believed deeply in the catholic faith so says the fount of all wisdom that is wikipedia (it must be true!)

binners

2.3 million children with hiv/aids in sub saharan africa. all of them dodgy hookers.

I reckon you could trace all their infections could be traced back, fairly directly, to Dodgy Hookers though. So is it the popes fault, or not?

aracer
    Free Member

I’m about seven minutes into the OP’s video now

Well done Cougar – anybody else care to actually listen to what she has to say rather than just comment on what you assume she’s saying?

I should point out that I’m far from being a hardcore atheist (given how the opinion seems on this forum, I’m probably less atheist than most on here!)

Cougar

I am reasonable sure the Tamil Tigers use of suicide bombing wasn’t motivated by religion.

TBH you’re picking me up on a comment that was intended to be tongue in cheek; but again, your statement is disingenuous.

Just because they aren’t motivated by religion doesn’t mean that they are motivated by atheism. The Tamil Tigers were a political group, neither religion nor a lack of religion had anything to do with it.

chakaping
    Free Member

Because of David Cameron and George Osbourne mainly.

Frodo

Binners that a partcularly crap comment from you. Its not about dodgy hookers it is about unprotected sex.

…and yes the with regards to Catholics he does have a lot to answer for with his ridiculus and outdated rules.

aracer
    Free Member

Actually I think it might be useful to quote what somebody said on the thread where I found this video

My connection is too slow to watch the video, but I feel I should say a few words. I am not an Atheist. I am Christian. I am LDS (Latter Day Saint), AKA Mormon. I know Atheists get a lot of crap from religious people who damn them to hell and whatnot. I’d just like to say that it is flat out wrong to damn anyone to hell, or to judge anyone in that way. There are good people everywhere, regardless of religion. There are also bad people everywhere regardless of religion. And I simply do not agree with the idea that good people will be punished for not believing in something.

I guess the way I view things is that, whether you believe in the bible (or other religious doctrine) or not, it is not as important as living by its teachings. Love is what is important. Jesus’ teachings of caring for and loving others, and staying humble is the most important thing. Even if you do not believe he existed, the teachings are still good. A person who loves others and lives as Christ did, that person will be truly happy, and people generally appreciate that type of character.

Please do not view my post as an attack on atheists. I am simply trying to say that I do not believe an atheist should be punished just because he or she is an atheist. Good people simply do not deserve that. and based on other people’s posts, it sounds like this is kind of what the video is about.

chutney13
    Free Member

sins of the father i suppose? that’s not the pope’s fault but what’s wrong with being safe?

everything else is the pope’s fault though.

Cougar

An oft quoted “fact” that is totally wrong. Hilter was most certainly a theist.

Oh yeah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler%27s_religious_views

I struggle with long sentences, but I’ve skimmed it; seems he believed in a creator, but wasn’t fond of ‘the church’ and organised religion.

RustySpanner

aracer – Member
    I should point out that I’m far from being a hardcore atheist (given how the opinion seems on this forum, I’m probably less atheist than most on here!)

There aren’t any degrees of atheism – you either are or you aren’t.

How you choose to express your opinion is, as always, the issue, no?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Since I’ve become Ummish I’ve found an inner peace.

You lot should try it, will definitely stop you being so angry.

Pyro

Rusty, you missed my earlier post, perhaps. I’m an atheist. I just don’t see why anyone, theist or atheist, should be trying to force their personal beliefs on anyone else. I’ve seen a couple of very theistic friends go through some very bad times, and their faith has been what kept them sane throughout. There have been times when I’ve envied them that level of belief, because put in the same scenario, I’ve got nothing. It’s not enough to make me believe, but it’s enough to make me think.

Religion and faith are two different things, and it’s often not either that causes issues in the world, it’s the misguided manipulation of the latter.

mcboo
    Free Member

Eh excuse me I think thats wrong thank you very much. You need to read The God Delusion…..on a scale of 1 to 7 where 1 is absolute faith and 7 is absolute disbelief, Hawkins puts himself at 6. ie he doesnt think there is a god but he cant prove there isnt and if anyone actually provides some evidence he’d be happy to accept it. Thats a perfectly moderate postion.

binners

Its about cause and effect isn’t it? Chicken and egg. So some lorry driver infects his wife and subsequent children with HIV because he had unprotected sex with her. I suspect most people, both inside and outside sub Saharan Africa, generally practice unprotected sex with their spouses.

The problem is created somewhat earlier on when the husband was shagging a dodgy hooker. To try and hold the catholic church responsible for that is a bit of a stretch, don’t you think? I’m not 100% on the precise biblical interpretation, but I’d suspect the pope would rather he hadn’t

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

[edited] CBA with this argument

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Comment deleted – note to self: do not get involved in religious discussions online!

Cougar

Cobblers.

Belief is a sliding scale. Are all the ‘believers’ equal? Does the Christian who goes to church for weddings and funerals believe just as strongly as an archbishop? If that were true, all Christians would be members of the clergy.

Same with atheism. Some will have an open mind, some will have ‘blind faith’ should any evidence ever actually be presented, some will hedge their bets or recant on their deathbeds.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,323 total)

The topic ‘Why are you atheists so angry?’ is closed to new replies.