Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 1,380 total)
  • Whitwick / Coalville / NW Leicestershire Riders
  • dannyh
    Free Member

So will I.

scandal42
    Free Member

Unfortunately for you pair so will I.

dannyh
    Free Member

Nice ride again tonight fellas. A bit clarty in places, but nothing too boggy.

Rascal, hard lines with the wheel, at least you’ve got a few days to sort it. I hate that feeling of thinking you’ve got a good deal on something and it turns out to be not quite as expected.

Looking forward to next week already.

7pm in the village car park in Woodhouse Eaves for some variety. Finishing at the Curzon. Tidy.

See you then.

theglover
    Free Member

Hi there- I would be up for joining in on this. I have recently moved to Castle Donington and work in Leicester.

Last night i was supposed to be riding around Lady Bower but the traffic was too bad.

What are the trails like?

rascal
    Free Member

theglover – it’s the East Midlands so not a patch on the Peaks unfortunately BUT not that bad either considering. There’s not much height to be gained other than Beacon Hill and Bardon Hil but lots of cheeky woodland trails. It was ‘otter’s pocket’ wet on the ground last night which made for some interesting unplanned drifts.
    Every trail looks and feels completely different to how it does in the daylight anyway. Always ends with a pint at the local hostelry too 🙂

Different location next week – a bit further away from you but will be worth the trip.

dannyh
    Free Member

DISASTER STRIKES.

Well not a major one, but slightly altered plans for the Peaks are required.

I am going to have to push the proposed weekend for the peaks back a week to the 16th/17th. I really hope that this doesn’t cause you all any problems.

To cut a longish story short, my mother in law is (very generously) trying to organise a special weekend away for my wife and I for our tenth wedding anniversary. She was trying to do it for the weekend of the 2nd, but something cant be booked that weekend, so she is trying to do it the weekend after. If we leave it any later, we will be struggling to do it near to the actual anniversary, so the moment will probably be ‘lost’.

Sorry to mess you about, but this is outside of my control. A point-blank ‘no’ wouldn’t go down all that well, I think.

See you next Wednesday evening.

dannyh
    Free Member

Scandal. I’ve just picked up the warranty replacement frame.

Google ‘Genesis Core 50 2011’, to have a look. It is a 19″ not 18 as I said before, but it is quite a short frame.

If you are interested we can talk about a price. P.S. It also has an oversize headset ready to go in, but it has not been pressed yet.

I don’t know if you like ‘raw’ finishes on frames, so this might be a bit of a marmite thing, you either love it or you don’t!

Sorry again about the peaks reschedule. Unavoidable I’m afraid. If a group of you can’t do the week after and want to give my route a crack, I can write out some instructions that will make it nigh on impossible to go wrong!

Then. I will go Billy no mates the weekend after 🙁

fatbob44

Hello, I see that you are meeting nearer to me this wednesday and would be up for joining you all if that is ok.

How long do you tend to ride for?

Cheers – Rob

dannyh
    Free Member

We tend to ride for between two and two and a half hours.

The pace is ‘social’, if anyone gets carried away they end up holding open a lot of gates and helping to lift bikes over fences!

See you on Wednesday.

fatbob44

Sounds good to me, see you wednesday

muddyfool

I think 16/17th will be ok for me but will have to confirm nearer the time, Danny. Should be there on Weds too 🙂

Good to see a couple more joining this week too, don’t forget to add 20 mins on to those times for a quick pint at the end!

theglover
    Free Member

Thank you for the reply. Woodhouse Eaves is very easy for me to get to as I work in Narborough…

Hope to make it along tomorrow. Is that ready to ride at 7pm?

rascal
    Free Member

Hoping to make it tomorrow…2 factors may scupper it though – no rebuilt wheel yet and new cat arrives tonight which will need bedding in over next few days (which I’m quite excited about I’m not afraid to admit). I could chance the wheel but inevitably more spokes will go ‘ping’. Shame if I haven’t done a night ride in my ‘local’ area for yonks.

dannyh
    Free Member

See you all there tomorrow. I might be a bit slow as I am currently off work with what is politely termed a ‘stomach bug’.

Got home from work last night and was absolutely fine. Lugged a bag of firewood up the garden, no problem. Came back inside and said to my wife “I dont feel all that well”. Twenty minutes later and I’m on the khazi for the first time. Eventually gave in at about 10pm and took some Imodium. I normally don’t subscribe to using Imodium, preferring to let things take their course, but this was a bit different.

I’m starting to feel a bit better now, so should be fine for work tomorrow and then the ride. The pace might just be a bit more ‘social’ than normal. I might not put in any big pedalling efforts either, just in case………

See you tomorrow.

schmiken

rascal – dropped you an email, I’ve got a spare rear wheel you can borrow in the meantime if wanted?

rascal
    Free Member

Thanks Mike…will see how things go with the new moggy tonight.
    Also, not sure I want want Danny’s got either!

dannyh
    Free Member

Don’t worry about catching anything from me. No one else in my household has come down with it. I’m just a lightweight.

oliverracing

was planning on heading out with you tomorrow evening, but broke my xc frame at cannock this weekend, hopefully should be able to repair it this weekend ready for next week!

rascal
    Free Member

Sounds like there could be a good turnout this week.
    Still not riding behind Danny though.

dannyh
    Free Member

Yes, sounds good. I doubt anyone will be riding behind me, though. Going on past experiences, I will be taking it very easy at the back of the pack.

I can’t quite decide if I’m ok now, or the Imodium is still working, but it should become obvious at some point!

I never used to get stomach bugs until the ‘drinking stream water incident’ in South Africa. Since that, I seem to be more susceptible. Still, never seems to last more than 24 hours.

rascal
    Free Member

I’m reluctantly gonna bail from tomorrow’s ride.
    I think there’s a good choice I could have made it (could borrow a wheel off Schmiken) but I have a new kitten roaming round the house sniffing everything for the first time. Think he needs a few faces around at the mo to help him settle in – yes, I know…I’m a right pussy 😉

scandal42
    Free Member

Sorry for lack of reply this week.

I am up for tonight so should be there on time for once. Danny, I have already purchased a new frame (not received yet) so unfortunately wont be able to take the Genesis off your hands, I’m sure you will have no trouble getting rid though.

Oh and you can’t be at the back, I’m looking forward to having no clue where I’m going for once 🙂

Regarding the Peaks, I actually think the following week works out better for me so I’m still game.

dannyh
    Free Member

Looking forward to this evening. I will be there even if I have to shove a cork up my jacksie.

Scandal – what frame have you ordered? Always happy to drool over new bikes.

Good to hear the Peaks still works for some of you. I’ll firm up the saturday or sunday thing soon.

theglover
    Free Member

Howdy – can you just help me with the location of the “Village Car Park”?

I have been virtually walking round Woodhouse Eaves but I am not sure were it is…

dannyh
    Free Member

Depends where you’re coming from, but everyone seems to know where the Bull’s Head is so I’ll do the directions from there(?)

If you are coming from Quorn, the Bull’s Head is on the left, on the corner of Main Street. Turn left onto Main Street, drive about 200 yards and you should see the a gap in the houses (adventure playground and village car park). It it about 10 yards after the doctors surgery on the right.

If you get to the village shop and the turning for Maplewell Road you have gone too far.

There should be ample parking unless there is something like the scout group on a wednesday, which I dont think there are.

muddyfool

It it about 10 yards after the doctors surgery on the right

Just to clarify, the car park is on the left, the doctors is on the right. It’s signposted when you get there, and right in the middle of Woodhouse Eaves so hard to miss.

See you all at 7!

scandal42
    Free Member

Can someone take responsibility for me yet again and bring a spare rear light 😳

And Danny, it’s a 456 carbon, always fancied it and got a good deal so took the plunge, will be ready for the peaks.

muddyfool

Just looked at the on one website, that is a good price! And no worries, I’ll have my Aldi backup lights with me again 🙂

muddyfool

Excellent ride tonight chaps.

Thanks for battling through the illness to lead us, Danny! It was a really good route including some bits I’d ridden past plenty of times and not realised were there.

Scandal: This is the work stand I mentioned:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0080R1CBG
    I’ve nothing to compare it with so I can’t say if it’s better than others but it seems stable enough to me at a good price.

SigmaF
    Free Member

Chaps

Room for 1 more??

I’ve not long moved to Broughton Astley and between moving/new job/baby….the bikes haven’t really been touched!

Would be good to get out and ride some local(ish) trails.

What other areas do you ride? (Woodhouse is prob about 30 mins from me). Cannock is about 1hr from us a bit of stretch with 5pm traffic!

Cheers,

rascal
    Free Member

Where did you ride last night?
    Good turn out?
    How did it rate compared to the birthplace of the NWLRC?
    Worth mixing up the destinations a bit more?
    Wished I’d come out last night…I’m sure the mog would have survived me going for a ride 😀

dannyh
    Free Member

Rascal.

Remember, we’re not allowed to mention any specific trails around here 😉

But suffice it to say, we rode many of the highlights of the area and we did not restrict ourselves too much!

Perhaps we could alternate the meets, one week rag n mop, next week here, type thingy?

We can discuss next week, although I am not 100% for that! I have a feeling work is going to screw me over the next couple of weeks.

That’s if I still have a job. I came within an ace today of losing it. Having your boss say “I bet you wish you hadn’t had the day off sick on Tuesday now” nearly prompted a row. I kept it to a very terse and short “it couldn’t be helped”.

Particularly galling when I’d had to take more Imodium this morning so I could be at work without shitting my breeches.

I’ll see how it goes!

P.S. Thanks to all the chaps who turned up. I’m sure you had some really good ‘getting to know one another chats’ while you were waiting for me. I would claim it was a cunning plan to get you all talking socially, but if think we all know different.

theglover
    Free Member

Really enjoyed the ride on Wednesday. Thank you again Danny for leading.

Should be out next week and will have the portable pressure washer with me again 🙂

rascal
    Free Member

Wil be heading over Swithland Woods way very shortly if anyone’s at a loose end.
    Will be around the bombholes @ 11…cheers

dannyh
    Free Member

Rascal.

Hope you had a good blast this morning. I did a small local ride yesterday morning as still not feeling 100%. But as I wasn’t in too much of a hurry, I rode virtually everything in Swithy. It is still running really nicely, only a few bits of clag to report.

I’m a bit worried about this supposed hurricane that’s going to hit overnight, though. The ridiculous summer storm in July 2012 led to one of my favourite bits of trail being interrupted by a fallen tree for well over six months. It won’t take much for a good amount of our local stuff to get blocked again.

I guess it’s luck of the draw, so here’s hoping not too much damage is done.

fathomer

Fingers crossed the winds don’t do to much damage locally.

Danny, regarding the Peaks ride, I’ve checked with the social secretary and I’m definitely busy on the 16th and probably busy on the 17th unfortunately, so plan as if I’m not about and if I am it’ll be a bonus for me!

theglover
    Free Member

Looks like the storm wasnt too bad.

There is nothing to stop us going armed with a hand saw or too though?

rascal
    Free Member

The woods were running surprisingly dry.
    A few sticky bits but the bombholes were good and that’s what matters 🙂
    A mudguard on the back saved me getting too cacked up.

Loads of big groups of horsey-types out and about – undoubtedly doing much more churning than any amounts of bikers will ever do. Ended with a run down Windmill Hill and a few cheeky TT Landlords at the Curzon. Bike only needed a quick mud brush off which was a bonus considering.

Doubt I’ll be out this week as off to Whinlatter Fri AM – if I get sh*t up on Weds I won’t get all my gear washed and dried in time for Fri.

dannyh
    Free Member

Storm, what storm?

Anyway, I’ll pop the trusty folding saw in the bag just in case!

The trails are running brilliantly right now – because we had a decent summer, I think the top layers of the ground actually had some spare capacity for water this year, not like last year when everything was a slurry fest after May.

The meet this week is in the car park of the Man Within Compass pub in Whitwick (also known as the Rag n Mop) at 7pm on Wednesday evening.

My personal odds for wednesday night have moved from pessimistic to optimistic, but I’m not taking anything for granted. Work is poised at a delicate point – if people start being stupid and tinkering with stuff we’ve already done or asking stupid questions, then I won’t make it. On the other hand, if I am left relatively alone for the next couple of days I should be alright.

Here’s hoping to see you then……….

jez130
    Free Member

Think i passed you guys a couple of Wednesdays ago. I was going towards bardon hill and you were coming from kellams farm. There was about 5 of you and i was buy myself.

Theres a big group of us that go round beacon hill/bradgate/swithland every Thursday evening but i go quite a bit by myself round here ( i live on Hall Lane)so could do with someone to go with round here. I know some good routes but its on private land so have to be really stealth. Could do with some new routes.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 1,380 total)

The topic ‘Whitwick / Coalville / NW Leicestershire Riders’ is closed to new replies.