Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • More Audi questions – Auto vs Manual
  • samuri
    Free Member

I’ve now discounted 5 Series from my car searching. It’s simply not as nice being in a BMW as it is being in an Audi. So I’m still looking at A6’s but what’s putting me off a little is the sheer size of the thing. It’s almost 5 metres long which is half a metre longer than my Accord and it’s 10cm wider. The accord is a pain getting into tight spaces as it is.

So I’m including A4’s in my searches which is fine, I’ve always liked them and as long as I get one with plenty of nice innards it’ll be great. (i’m also having to budget up to 10k because there’s nothing less than that which I like)

What I didn’t expect was the amount of Automatics I’d find. So my question is thus. Will a 143bhp diesel A4 Auto be noticably slower than a manual? I’m not adverse to Auto’s per-se, quite happy driving either but if the auto box eats a lot of horses then I’ll exclude them from my searches. I presume it affects fuel consumption to a degree as well, any real world experiences on how much?

samuri
    Free Member
    MoreCashThanDash

Have driven manual and auto VWs, Seats and Skodas. We own 2 automatic Skodas as well as MrsMC can’t drive manuals. The gearboxes will be tbe same as the Audi ones

In normal drive mode, gear changes may feel slower, in sport mode they hold tbe revs longer before shifting and they seem a bit quicker. If you really want to, you can change manually anyway, but I just never bother, rarely any point in normal driving.

Fuel figures aren’t much different either.

VAG autos are the best I’ve tried, but not yet had a go at BMW or Mercedes or Jaguar type cars.

cheers_drive

I know that the Multironic box in the A4 had a lot of issues, they may have been fixed now.
    Some other Audi, and other VW group cars use the DSG box which is very good – I have one.

spence
    Free Member

I was looking at A6 Avants a couple of weeks ago, didn’t get to drive any autos but the three manuals I drove (140bhp’s) all seemed painfully slow, especially from standing and in eb and flow traffic. Once up and running they all cruised fine.
    The interiors were a very pleasant place to be and felt like they’d last and last.

Ended up with a Jag, the ZF box is great. It’s also used in the BMW and Mercs.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s almost 5 metres long which is half a metre longer than my Accord and it’s 10cm wider. The accord is a pain getting into tight spaces as it is.

Being the awesome driver that I am, I’d have said this would never be a problem for me. However…

We went from a last model A4 – 57 plate – Avant to a last model (60 plate, and the same model you’re looking at I think) A6. We’d never have considered an A6, but current model rep-spec A4s were silly prices compared to similar age, lower mileage A6s which in bare SE had loads more toys, leather etc. I guess this was down to the A6 having recently undergone a new model introduction.

Anyway…

The length and extra width took me a bit of a while to get used to 😳 and without the reversing sensors, I’d probably still be shit at parking it. When you reverse park, unless you do it with only a inch or two between the wheels and kerbs, it does end up sticking a bloody mile out as you look down the line of cars. In a supermarket car park, it’s always the one with its nose sticking out when you return to your car. I’m still considering getting front sensors added as a retro-fit (rear-only came as standard…stingy beggars). I think you live on an estate don’t you? So you possibly have off-street parking. I’d give anything for it at the moment, as a few people on my road seem quite happy to gouge paint out of the front wing of ours without letting us know.

As for auto vs manual, I have no advice on that front. I’ve never driven an auto outside rental cars in the US.

Flaperon

All DSG autos are very good, but tbh the Audi A4 you’ve linked to doesn’t appear especially good value for money. It’s 7 years old, averaging less than 5000 miles a year and so subject to countless short journeys where the engine never really warms up.

It’s got a phone holder in it so you wonder *how* it’s been driven on those journeys and the level of kit is OK but not brilliant. For about the same money you can get a two year old Vauxhall Insignia which is basically the same thing; a high mileage Jaguar XF; a nearly new VW Passat; a Skoda Superb estate…

You’re paying a lot of money for the Audi badge and access to the outside lane on the motorway.

Gary_C

Just be aware that Audi advise that the multitronic ‘box is due an oil change at 40k. No idea on cost though.

bearnecessities

Samuri. Long time no speak you beautiful man.

You are aware you’re looking at ‘that’ engine, aren’t you?

samuri
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up spence, another person has given me similar advice. It’s funny, they quote the same performance figures for say an A3 as they do for an A6 with exactly the same engine in but it’s clearly going to be slower due to the extra weight.

I think you live on an estate don’t you?
    It’s right posh, yep. Mostly old people in bungalows at one end, rich people at the other end and us in the middle. But yes, we do have offroad parking, for both cars at a squeeze. This one seems to have full parking sensors and is a 2.7 for extra vavoom.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201406094881846/usedcars?logcode=visc Twice the mileage though. What do people reckon to this one? Same price as the A4.

It’s 7 years old, averaging less than 5000 miles a year and so subject to countless short journeys where the engine never really warms up.

Why is that a bad thing?

You’re paying a lot of money for the Audi badge and access to the outside lane on the motorway.

I like Audi’s. 😉

samuri
    Free Member

You are aware you’re looking at ‘that’ engine, aren’t you?

What you talkin about big fella?

bearnecessities

As always, I am not an expert, but the Internet ‘evidence’ about the 2.0tdi engine from that era being a nightmare, is plenty.

More so than the average ‘only post something once you have a problem’ rule.

At the time (around a year ago) I delved into it, having been alerted from here, of all places.

I don’t believe much, but I walked away firmly in the belief that this variant of engine was a bad ‘un.

somouk
    Free Member

The DSGs are pretty good and in most cases only a little less efficient than the manual.

The multitronics I would avoid as they were known for their problems if not looked after. They also kill the MPG and acceleration a fair bit.

Flaperon

It’s 7 years old, averaging less than 5000 miles a year and so subject to countless short journeys where the engine never really warms up.

Why is that a bad thing?

Because they involve lots of stop-start driving, putting components under load when the oil is cold. Oil doesn’t lubricate quite as effectively when cold so proportionately more wear takes place on the engine. Short journeys also hint at town driving, which means speed bumps and excessively worn suspension.

Also, when it’s cold combustion by-products and condensation make their way into the oil and water collects in the exhaust.

chewkw
    Free Member

Auto is the way to go because manual is soooo yesterday … 😆

Mine is the simple old style auto (even on a 2005 Corolla) rather than those with pedal shifters or multitronics whatever they are called nowadays.

MPG is slightly lower but hey if I can afford a car I better make sure I can afford the MPG too … :mrgreen:

I very happy with mine so far but damn roadtax is £265/yr … arrghhh … 😡

Edit: Do change your auto gear box oil regularly even if it looks clean according to the mileage.

jonjones262
    Free Member

Dsg is ace, got one in my octavia. Best auto I’ve had. Flappy paddles are fun for a while

Oil change is needed every 40k, 180£. Mine’s being done next week

onewheelgood

Can’t advise on the auto bit but my 55 plate 2.7 has been a great car. Now on 196k miles and a couple of the electrical bits (mirror heaters for example) don’t work any more, but other than that it’s fine. It’s a lovely place to be when it’s dark and the rain’s lashing down – just feels so solid and so smooth. You won’t get better than high 30s mpg from an auto though.

mrmoofo

The auto box in the Audi is shocking … there os no fine control at low speeds. Once you have pulled to a stop, and then try edging forwards – the car jumps forward.

Tried to get it sorted but always issues in tight car parking spots and EuroTunnel …

And the auto box whines badly …

Suggsey
    Free Member

Mrmoofo…get your gearbox oil and filter changed first off May well cure your issue from experience. Although whining from a gearbox is never a good sound…maybe there is insufficient oil in it due to seal failure or bearing failure.
    I love my DSG 6 speed box, makes driving still a great pleasure even in traffic, it’s so relaxing. Knock it into Sport if I’m planning an overtake or manual paddle shift depends on how mood takes me.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Had an A6 2.7tdi auto, great box, 6 speed with sport mode (rarely used). We had the Tiptronic and the sterring wheel paddles where very useful especially on motorway to drop down a gear for overtaking. Car was plenty quick enough and responsive.

OP yes a6 avant is big ! Certainly the biggest disadvantage esp in a multi story car park or in narrow streets. Positive is it is superbly comfortable on long trips. Your idea of a4 is a good compromise and I agree totally about the audis being nicer inside and IMO they are better built than BMW.

peterfile
    Free Member

The auto box in the Audi is shocking … there os no fine control at low speeds. Once you have pulled to a stop, and then try edging forwards – the car jumps forward.

+1

I drove a 2010 A4 2.7tdi yesterday with an autobox and this was noticeable immediately. Pulling slowly forwards out of a junction or traffic lights etc is not very elegant!

Then again, drove the new A6 and the auto version is as smooth as can be. Although it’s a beautiful place to spend time, it’s the most numbing cocoon type experience imaginable. That’s not necessarily a bad thing though depending on where you do your miles…for sitting in traffic or on long motorway stints it would be a delight. It makes the F10 M Sport feel like it’s on wooden wheels.

My head is spinning with test driving so many cars. Off to test an A4 3.0 Avant this week, which seems to be the best of all worlds. Desperately trying to avoid buying an S4 Avant 👿 .

The Audi S Tronic boxes seem to be much better than the multitronic (save for the latest multitronic in the likes of the A6 which is great)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘More Audi questions – Auto vs Manual’ is closed to new replies.