Viewing 40 posts - 1,321 through 1,360 (of 1,380 total)
  • Whitwick / Coalville / NW Leicestershire Riders
  • mrbelowski
    Free Member

Oi, it’s a *quality product* you little turd 8)

mrbelowski
    Free Member

On the subject of being 11, most Wednesdays we’re riding till nearly 10pm, then we shout at each other in the pub for another hour after that. Now, when I was 11 that wouldn’t have been a problem – it’d have been a nice early night and a break from the glue-sniffing & car-stealing, but times have changed (apparently)

TiRed

5 101/2 and proud of that half 😉 The prospect of a late evening post ride meet in the pub may be a hard sell to his mother 😉

Drop me a line, I’ll ride anything – as long as it isn’t too often!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dannyh
    Free Member

I might come across a bit ‘nanny-state’ but I’m not that keen on night riding with an unaccompanied 11 year old. If you were to come along yourself and bring him with you, then great. But I wouldn’t be comfortable assuming responsibility for him – not necessarily even from a crashing point of view (we have got separated a few times in the dark and only caught up 10-15 minutes later).

Sorry, but ‘real-world’ considerations make it a bit of a no-go for me.

As above – if you want to come along on a ride and bring him, then great – you are most welcome.

I go on organised rides with a SMBLA qualified instructor sometimes – even though he knows me, knows I won’t sue him if I chuck myself off my bike, I still have to sign a form before every ride. It’s just the way things are.

TiRed

Don’t worry, I’ll be coming along. But I don’t make him sign either!

scandal42
    Free Member

Wont make the boozer now either 😥

Let me know details chaps

everyone
    Free Member

I won’t be along this week. I can’t make it to whitwhick in time.

dannyh
    Free Member

Right, first things first. Great ride tonight. A really good blast around the Whitwick area, no mechanicals, good riding, and a decent pint at the end.

Reasonable banter as well.

Ok, the arrangements for Saturday are to meet in the big pay and display in Castleton. Basically it is almost all the way through the town (past the sharp left and right bends) and is on the right off of a mini roundabout. We are meeting at 9.00am sharp. Riding by 9-10am. Matt, for your purposes if you aim to get there for 8-30am you’ll be about right……

It’s going to be a big ride, so bring some grub. Lunch is at Fairholmes, afternoon tea is at the cafe in Edale.

I’m well up for this, and the weather is rumoured to be on our side.

See you there.

Post up in the next couple of days if you are coming.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Cheers for tonight. And apologies again for the overgrown trail choice.

Sat is def not a goer, was confirmed tonight we are going to Shropshire on sat for nephews birthday.

I’ll see if I can get out on a weds again soon.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Smashin ride chaps, like Danny said it seemed to flow really nicely (except for all those sodding gates). Roll on Saturday 🙂

scandal42
    Free Member

Mission accepted, I WILL be there on time!!

*Going to camp in the pay and display on Friday night*

fathomer

I’m in for Saturday and really looking forward to it, see you there 😀

dannyh
    Free Member

On an irritating (literally) note, my badly chosen words about being a magnet for horse flies came true last night.

I was sat at work late on this morning and thought “I know that feeling” as the back of my leg started to become very hot, itchy and tight. Little bastards have done me again. If ever there was a case for evolution over creationism, this is it. After all, no god would ever create horse flies.

I’ve got a few antibiotics left over from the last time, but not as many as I thought, so I’ll see if I can get the quack to write me a prescription without seeing me tomorrow.

No impact on the weekend. I will be riding even if it is with some (more) discomfort, so don’t worry about that.

scandal42
    Free Member

Is the general consensus that the M1 via Chesterfield is the best route for tomorrow?

The utter shitfest that is constant 50mph average speed checks had me in doubt.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Yeah, to Chesterfield then A617 through Chesterfield.

Actually, I don’t know why I’m answering this question as you’ve only asked as an elaborate early excuse for being late

How’s the leg Danny? Will it need to come off?

scandal42
    Free Member

Actually, I don’t know why I’m answering this question as you’ve only asked as an elaborate early excuse for being late

😯 How could you even think it

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Shocking, isn’t it. Anyone would think you have ‘previous’ as a tardy malingering excuse-filled perennial late-comer

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Can’t stop daydreaming about going riding tomorrow and today is dragging so badly

mrbelowski
    Free Member

You coming Jez?

dannyh
    Free Member

How’s the leg Danny? Will it need to come off?

Leg is a bit bigger than it should be and hurting and itching in equal measure. Not a concern for tomorrow, though. I’m not giving up a pass to mope around and get roped into shopping / DIY / other ‘punishment activities’.

I’m popping antibiotics like smarties as well as some anti histamines. Worse things happen at sea.

I think on arrival we should get ‘pumped’ by doing something like this (check Dallaglio after 1.55):

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C-hajJh8cp0[/video]

Or maybe not…..

jez130
    Free Member

It’s going to be a no show for me. Bruised all down right hand side from my Olympic sumersault dives on Wednesday. Have fun and no pushing the bikes uphill (dan).

scandal42
    Free Member

I’ve just set off, see you there.

dannyh
    Free Member

I’ve just set off, see you there.

You can start getting psyched now, then.

Stop every ten miles and punch yourself in the face for a bit. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

scandal42
    Free Member

Im feeling bruised but extremely psyched, bring on the peaks.

dannyh
    Free Member

Well, today was the day that the Castleton killer was tamed.

Bob, Jim, Sam, Matt and I met in Castleton at 9am. Matt had got there first, twenty minutes early. Fortunately the smelling salts brought everyone round and off we set, in quite dismal weather. The broken road climb was despatch and we crested the shoulder of Mam Tor. On the following grassy and rutted descent it became evident that no one was quite ready to deal with the first properly slippery riding we had done in a while. I managed to low side myself trying to get out of a rut, but it was onto wet grass, so the bike and I just went sledging for about 3 metres. No rocks involved.

We then tackled the also rutted grassy descent to back Tor bridge. Again there were sketchy moments aplenty, but all arrived safely. I then contributed the first mechanical of the day as my headset started to bind (quite dangerous that). It got sorted in the end, but I think the lower bearing needs replacing. On one smoothies are gash it has been decided.

We climbed Jaggers Clough, dropped to the stream and climbed steeply out again. Sam and Bob showed a clean pair of heels up here. Matt and Jim both gave it a decent go. I gave it a go. This brought us to the top of the Beast. Not before I contributed another semi mechanical with a loose lock on grip. The beast didn’t have its teeth out today we decided. Everyone descended at a good pace despite the rocks looking a little ‘green’. We now pushed up Hagg Farm to Lockerbrook. Again a really good descent with everyone riding it well. Now Bob got in on the mechanical act with a tubeless tyre issue. Cue much joking about hands covered in jizz etc.

Lunch at Fairholmes followed. The. The climb up from Bridge End which saw some very good stamina and skill from everoyone except me (I showed a bit of brute force and stubbornness, but still didn’t get to the top feet up. Now onto the Hagg Farm switchbacks, which were owed one from earlier. Sam generously held open the midway gate to give everyone else a continuous run. This was probably the best descent of the day from my point of view, finally getting a rhythm and speed going. Again we all blasted down, no worries. Across Snake Pass and onto the climb to Wooller Knoll.

The climb was dispatched with ease by most of the group (ahem) and we dropped to the Roman Road, disappointed at having to pedal all but the steepest bits as the wind was quite strong for August. We then rode down the Roman Road to Hope with another extended mechanical, from Sam this time, but involving tubeless tyres again. Cue much joking about hands covered in jizz (we are nothing if not predictable). A depressing road section to Edale followed into a headwind. There was some roadie style jockeying, but we made it for a cafe stop. Matt surprised everyone for the second time today by emerging with a full cream tea.

Off up to Hollins for the last time. The bikes were making some fairly sub-optimal noises by now. Everyone got to the top in one piece, but it was a bridge too far for me as I pushed up the majority of it. Now for the final descent down the ‘back’ bridleway into Castleton. A very interesting bit of trail, some more ruts to cause some dicey moments, and a big drop at one point that my now addled brain could not compute. I just hit the anchors and spoilt that bit for Matt and Jim who were behind. Through the gate into the rocky bit I had another brain fart and just gave up trying to control my bike for some reason. I parked the front wheel up the bank on the right and laid down for a rest, causing Jim to stop again. Still, all down safe and off to Castleton for some good pint(s) and average chips.

The only one to escape the mechanical fairy was Matt (I can’t remember what Jims bike did).

A great day out, big thanks to the lads for making it and having a laugh along the way. Cheers to Bob for driving, I could barely keep my eyes open on the way back, so driving would have been a chore to say the least.

See you Wednesday evening 7pm Woodhouse Eaves village car park.

fathomer

Completely agree Dan and massive thanks for organising and route planning. Was a top day out with what felt like at least 3 of the 4 seasons, great riding and top banter. Legs are shot now 😀

Just for the record, in case anyone give a shit, we managed 23.32miles with 1,308m of climbing.

dannyh
    Free Member

1,308m.

I’ve established over the last few years that 1,400m is about my limit for one day (in comfort, at least). 92 metres from meltdown.

scandal42
    Free Member

Thanks Danny, great write up as usual, always look forward to it.

Just back from the bbq, which was an absolute pile of steaming spaff, even compared with the final climb to hollins cross with cream tea filled legs.

Cant wait for the next away day, cheers for a cracking day on the bike chaps.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Yip, a fantastic day’s riding and a great laugh too, really really enjoyed that gents. Thanks for all the organising Danny.

Now to work out if i can unstick that sodding piston, and order some drivetrain bits 😯

dannyh
    Free Member

Yep, new headset required for me as well, I think. I’m going to use the last spare bearing to keep this crappy one going until I can get a quality unit ordered and put in.

fatbob44

Great day out, made by the enjoyable route, group banter and the sun finally coming out.

Today seems to of become a bike maintenance day, I’d hate to have a mechanical on Wednesday!

Jim – I have e-mailed you ref the Cotic

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Great, thanks Bob. I put the bike in the garage last night and haven’t been back to it – dread to think what state it’s in now

everyone
    Free Member

Right, how many of you horrible lot are out tonight?

dannyh
    Free Member

I’ll be there – Woodhouse Eaves Car Park 7pm R.T.R.

Anyone else coming to top up their awesome after Saturday (or bathe in some reflected awesomeness if you weren’t there)?

mrbelowski
    Free Member

I think I’ll be there. I’ve got a cold / chest infection and am hocking up some gnarley docker’s omelettes at the moment (tastes like Gruyère cheese) so it depends on how sketchy I’m feeling.

Bob – if I don’t survive the day you can keep the bike. If I do survive the day but am too ill to ride I’ll give you a buzz and pop over in the car to the pub, so still bring it along please

fatbob44

Hello, i will be there.

Jim – your bike is in the van ready.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Did the money show up? I have instructed my agent to sent it forthwith by Western Union for your receiving pleasure good sir and god willing you will kindly receive it thankyouplease and we can continue our great friendship

Rev Belowski

fathomer

I shall be there to top up what little awesome I have!

everyone
    Free Member

A mate of mine is coming along as well, he’ll be on an even more niche bike than me!

mrbelowski
    Free Member

As long as he has some air in his tyres and a working pump, we’ll all get along fine

Viewing 40 posts - 1,321 through 1,360 (of 1,380 total)

The topic ‘Whitwick / Coalville / NW Leicestershire Riders’ is closed to new replies.