Home Forums Bike Forum Which Glue for fixing Boa Base on shoe?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Which Glue for fixing Boa Base on shoe?
  • joeyr
    Free Member

The Boa Base bit has partially come off my Diadora shoes.. anyone had any success gluing these back on (and if so, which glue did you use?)?

The plastic part where it was stitched has snapped, but there looks to be a fair bit of surface area that I can glue down.

Have got some ShoeGoo, and if that fails then epoxy? Or any other suggestions? Thanks in advance

citizenlee
    Free Member

Epoxy would my choice for such a repair. Hold it in place with a small G-Clamp if you have one.

dovebiker

Looks like a polyamide/nylon moulding which is a difficult material to stick – I’d try ShooGoo or Storm Sure first. Epoxy is probably too brittle – MMA adhesive has a greater bond strength and more flexible.

joeyr
    Free Member

Thanks guys.. yeah my concern is that it might not stick as I know epoxy won’t stick to the shiny side of duct tape..

This is the epoxy I’ve got BTW https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gorilla-Glue-25ml-Epoxy/dp/B009NQQJFC/

Think I’ll try keying it up, ShoeGoo, clamp and see how it holds.. shoegoo should be the easiest of the two to remove if it doesn’t stick.

Failing that maybe put some stitches or a staple or something in so the glue has something to grip to?

finephilly
    Free Member

Gorilla glue is pretty impressive. The yellow stuff is non-flexible but would stick that easily. try and sand the surface if you can

twistedpencil

Gorilla glue +1 has kept winter spd boots going for far too many years.  As above use sparingly and sand down, I then apply sugru over the joint and they almost look new…

dyna-ti

Cobblers use contact adhesive, as its the glue they use to assemble shoes/boots when they are being made in the factory.

Burger

Get in touch with Boa. You can buy the dials as a service item, but not the bases. One of mine broke on my Bont road shoe in a similar way. Boa were fantastic when I politely asked if I could buy a spare base directly. They worked out from pictures and dimensions which base I needed and posted a pair out to me without charge. The base came without holes to sow through, but it was easy enough to mark up from the needle holes in the shoe and drill, then sow in. I think glue would struggle to bond for a lasting repair. Good luck whichever route you choose. I can’t speak highly enough of Boa’s customer support though!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.