Home Forums Bike Forum where can i get disc rotor shims…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • where can i get disc rotor shims…
  • stumpy01

As above. I have two sets of wheels for my Inbred; road set with slicks & an off road set.

There is a small discrepancy in the hub width so I keep having to re-align the calipers when swapping between wheels. Would be far easier to shim the narrower hub…
    Syntace appear to do them, but I can’t find anyone selling them in the UK.

This came up in a thread a while ago & I found some Fibrax shims from Billy’s that I suggested. I ordered some myself, but they have turned out to just be .2mm washers which work, but aren’t great. They sell them in packs of 10 too which is a bit silly for a 6 bolt rotor.

If it comes to it, I’ll just order some from abroad, but I’d prefer not to have to…

takisawa2

Cant you just use M6 size brake caliper shims/washers ?
    (Apologies if thats what youve already tried).

Taff
    Free Member

Syntace but abroad

Should be about about 10 of these and not individual washers.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3288

Ebay used to have packs of Syntace shims but don’t seem to now. I have some and you just keep adding shims until the desired width. Handy.

Taff
    Free Member

Cant you just use M6 size brake caliper shims/washers ?

There may be manufacturing issues with that so one might be just under 0.2mm and another just over etc. When you’re spacing off quite a bit the disc would be a little wavey so it’s not recommended

stumpy01

I suspect that’s what the Fibrax ones are; M6 washer – 0.2mm thick.

They are fiddly though. The Syntace shim is one piece, so easier to fit.

I bought a pack of Fibrax ones and seeing as it was a pack of 10, rather than 12 I assumed they would be like the Syntace shims.
    But they are individual washers. Admittedly, I got 11 in the pack, but that still means I am 1 short and I don’t think 0.2mm will be enough to correct it.

stumpy01

Cheers all. I think I will have to stump up for carriage from Europe. Was trying to avoid it, as it puts the cost up to over a tenner for a pack of shims, which seems a bit pricey…!

ssjeff
    Free Member

Nichness

velosolo.co.uk/shopdisc.html

UK company

julians
    Free Member

I just used 6 small washers (maybe 1mm thick, not sure really) when I had a similar problem. Has been fine for a year now.

PeteA
    Free Member

Hope Shims
    This should be what you are after but no picture

stumpy01

Not sure it’s 1mm out, although it could be that much. Don’t wanna fit a 1mm spacer & find I have the same problem, but in the opposite direction.

Problem is probably exacerbated by the Avid Juicy brakes I am using on the bike. Not much pad/rotor clearance.
    I have just bought some new brakes, but wanna get the disc spacing spot on before fitting them.

Northwind

Halfords sell packs of brake shims that come in various thicknesses. They’re for the calipers really so they’re M6 and fairly big but I think would probably do the job for rotors too. I reckon you’d need 2 or 3 bags though to get enough shims the same so that’d end up £6 IIRC.

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

How about making some shims out of Coke cans? I think they are about 0.2 / 0.3 mm thick so should be about right.

stumpy01

Cheers NW, will look into that…

stumpy01

Midlifecrisis – could do but would probably slash my hands to bits….I would have a go if it was just a simple shim, rather than a shim for 6 bolts….

Have found a place online that does 50 M6 x 0.2mm thick washers for £7.20 delivered, but I might as well just spend another few quid for the Syntace ones that will just slot on…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘where can i get disc rotor shims…’ is closed to new replies.