Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 171 total)
  • When you meet STWrs in the flesh…
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m sure I met Flashy at the last paperclip sellers awards night

scaredypants

SaxonRider
    Subscriber

I still maintain we should only go out riding with signs like this attached by zip ties:

I seem to remember a thread from when chatroulette kicked off that we were all supposed to just say “do you …?” to any strangers we encountered on it.  Maybe a shirt just with that on it ?  🙂

Cougar

Orthopedic shoes stand out a mile

I see what you did there.

scotroutes

I’ve met more than a few.

Some are even real life, honest and truthful friends….

Sadly I’ve been outed at random on the trail, usually id’d by the kids, including out in the Alps…

Always awkward doing the ‘are you nibblybum* from STW?’…

Ah yes Matt. I was once in a bothy with someone from Bearbones. Three girls came in after dark. We got chatting. Turned out that one of them was from Abernethy. I mentioned your name and, of course, she knew who you were. Then, one of her friends realised that she knew you too, even though the two of them didn’t know they both knew you.

Then the guy from BB asked – “Hang on, is that Matt from Sheffield?”……   🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Here, does anyone remember years ago, I publicised a dream I’d had about a forum member?

Then I met him (also at Swinley)… it was a little bit of a tad awkward I must say. Funny though.

tjagain

I have met quite a few.  The funniest was cycling along minding our own business in yorkshire when some chap shouted – ” tandemjeremy” at us  Who it was I have no idea and I don’t know if he just shouted it at all tandems he saw!
    . I have also been outed as Tandemjeremy quite a few times in Edinburgh by randoms!

Met a good few folk off here including one memorable ride set up by the northern ( souther really chaps) in lancashire where around 20 folk turned up.  good day out that was.  Junkyard, Binners, and a good few others.

Also Tons touring weekend

Few folk have become real world friends as a result, everyone I have met has been great fun.

scaredypants

Here, does anyone remember years ago, I publicised a dream I’d had about a forum member?

not the yeti* in his suede jacket ?

*or somebody

Kryton57

There’s several former BM members on here I know, but I’ve met Weeksy, Yak and Dr P from here.  All nice chaps who come across exactly as they are I feel.

I have no scandal to post up, sorry.

whitestone
    Free Member

Ah, tj – I met you and your good lady last year in Fisherfield whilst doing the Highland Trail.

Met JonEdwards at the JennRide (plus a few others who I didn’t realise were members here at the time – DazH for example)

Most of the others that I’ve met are also on Bearbones.

DezB
    Free Member

scaredypants
    not the yeti* in his suede jacket ?

Yes! Blimey details too 😆

Imagine my disappointment when he was wearing “normal” mtb gear

maccruiskeen

I’ve met bearnecessities and so has my mum.

SaxonRider

Why don’t we have a STW jersey?

I would buy one. The old mtb-wales.com used to have quite a nice one that I always fancied, but alas, the place died before I got one.

If one is made, though, it should be for the STW forum, and not just an ad for the magazine.

Heck, I’d even get ‘SaxonRider’ put on it!

DezB
    Free Member

It should be in the style of a tan suede jacket

matt_outandabout

Ah yes Matt. I was once in a bothy with someone from Bearbones. Three girls came in after dark. We got chatting. Turned out that one of them was from Abernethy. I mentioned your name and, of course, she knew who you were. Then, one of her friends realised that she knew you too, even though the two of them didn’t know they both knew you.

Then the guy from BB asked – “Hang on, is that Matt from Sheffield?”…… 🙂

😳

Bregante

I’ve never met Bearnecessities but he came to my house in the middle of the night on Christmas Eve and nobody saw him.

And instead of leaving gifts he removed something and took it away. He’s like Santa in reverse/a burglar.

Stoner
    Free Member

nickc – theyre showing their age, but one is still in v good condition.

Theyre great looking tyres, I have no idea how well or badly they ride though as Ive always subjected Mrs S or the boy to them!

Since I’ve been on here nearly as long as nickc (17, 18 yrs?) I’ve met a few along the way.

Morzine rideout is a fun outing for those that make it and I got to meet some fine STWers like Ambrose, Weeksy, Ade, Tymbian (apologies if I missed others)

I have a huge soft spot for BigDummy, no longer of this isle, and by proxy Moses has always been good value, esp running into him on top of a welsh mountain entirely unexpectedly.

I miss Sheldon “the wok” SSStu and Ormondroyd though.

But I’m most appreciative of Alex and nickc for teaching me to ride many years ago. Before them I was happily wearing out brake blocks on a 50Kg BSO.

DD just smells.

Tiger6791

Met quite a few but not sure many know who I am

TheFlyingOx

Met a few over the years.

TJ – absolutely the most pleasant chap you could have the good fortune to meet

13thfloormonk – good lord the man can climb hills. It’s like he has 5 lungs

Kit – randomly, drunkenly, recognised him in a Wetherspoons based on a photo posted here. I think he was most uncomfortable, for which I offer my humblest apologies

nuttysquirrel – man’s a dude

DickBarton – Also a dude, but doesn’t ride his bike enough

+ a few others

Kryton57

DD just smells.

How rude of me, I’m forgetting I’ve been for dinner for two with DD.   He laid our floor which still looks marvoulous.

garage-dweller

There are people I know in real life that admit to being on here but I have no idea who they are on here. They’re all known by other nick/real names when I ride with them. There seems to be an unwritten rule that you don’t disclose your stw identity.

There are a couple of people on here I would hazard a guess that I knew in my days at Southampton uni (95-98) or as a consequence of friends I had during that era and after graduating.

Northwind

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>benp1 wrote,</div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Why don’t we have a STW jersey?

</div>
    I saw someone wearing a Singletrack jersey at a race. I made some comment about “Ah you’re one of those singletrackworld weirdos then, which one are you?” It was Chipps. Oops!

garage-dweller

@northwind

😂 Nice work. That’s just my kind of clanger!

bigjim

It was Chipps. Oops!

I went for a wee after Chipps in a portaloo at the glentress 7. Which is kind of gross.

vickypea
    Free Member

A few of my friends are on here, but I haven’t met anyone else (yet).

I can be identified by the 2 little ducks on my helmet, or my Singletrack bobble hat in the winter.

Drac

Well you weren’t wrong Northwind.

mboy
    Free Member

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>rOcKeTdOg
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Met them? Blimey I’ve been on dates with a couple of them

</div>
    You could have at least called afterwards though, let me down politely, rather than just “ghosting” me! 😉

Joking aside… Joined STW sometime back end of 2001 I think, since then I have met a staggering number of forumites! Many of them are good customers of mine (even the OP bought a road bike off me!)… I’ve made a few very good friends from this forum, quite a few good riding buddies, many forumites have become customers of mine, and along the way I’ve met and ridden with many many more at least once over the years… I’ve even been accused by one of being a bit of a tease (they thought I was interested in more than just riding bikes, honestly, I was just being nice!) and I’ve been accused by my ex GF of actually having an affair with one forum member too! Yes… Really! Said forum member is now a good friend, we certainly weren’t up to any monkey business mind.

However… Considering how close he lives to me, how he too has been on here for as long as I have, I struggle to believe that I still haven’t (knowingly) met stoner!

IHN, I am jealous…

squirrelking
    Free Member

<p>Met Trail Rat a few times at SDA’s back in the day, well before I joined here. Of course he wasn’t called that then and has gone through numerous name changes since.  As it’s not changed in some time I can only assume he’s been behaving himself and not slapping folk on Fort William High Street.</p><p></p><p>Bencooper did some sort of magic to a steerer tube for me. The alternative would have been to ream the crown in order to remove all traces of JIS but that just sounded messy.</p><p></p><p>Caught someone in work browsing the other day, I know who you are.</p>

rOcKeTdOg

You could have at least called afterwards though, let me down politely, rather than just “ghosting” me!

We always seem to meet at dirty burger bars at races 100s of miles away even though we work about 10 miles from each other. Talk about clandestine

hodgynd
    Free Member

I came here from another forum which closed down about 18 months ago…it was excellent in as much that forum rides were well attended by folks in the northern half of the country even though they were living in some cases hundreds of miles apart ..

The only two stw members that I have met from that old forum are Windysurfer..and have ridden with him on the NYM..a few Lakes rides and he stayed up at Kielder overnight in Feb last year ..so we rode a best of mixture of the trails up here ..still hoping to meet up along with the rest of our group at some stage this summer ..he’s a really solid bloke ..

Other than that there is Poah who I met at Glentress while there with my son and we also met up last year at Comrie Croft when he kindly led our group around on the first ride of our Scottish trip before we moved on up to Aviemore..( I was ill that day so had to curtail my riding activity pretty sharpish ) .

We have an as yet unannounced meet up at some stage in the future when he visits Kielder ..but another nice bloke ..

I know of at least one other bloke who posts very infrequently on here from Rugeley ..but we mainly kept in touch by txt and it is football related ..besides which I have forgotten his user name on here ..but we met on a  Bowderdale group ride out of Sedbergh  and got on well on the old forum ..eh Pez!

Finally there were a few memberson here  who had very kindly offered to join our group for a ride while visiting the Ballater area from 28th May  – 1st June ..which I’m now  not able to make due to other ( work ) commitments ..3 of my friends are still going but they don’t visit this forum ..so my thanks to those members ..hopefully another time.

Other than that I’m blissfully unaware if I’ve met anyone else .. oh ..apart from Stevedoc who joined our group half way around the Borrowdale Bash in the Lakes with his mate a couple of summers ago..

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve met Chipps; he made me a very good coffee at ST towers. Also Ed Oxley and three others whose names I can’t remember. I offered to show them a couple of descents around Hebden Bridge and embarrassed myself with my slow speed and unfashionable bike.

I spend more time on Cycle Chat and have done forum rides with quite a few from there. Many of them are quite, er, fusty and not very fast – the average road ride pace is about 11 mph.

ChrisL

As another Edinburgh resident I’ve also bumped into quite a few folks from here. Sometimes I’ve had to be reminded that I’ve met them before, my memory for faces and names is pretty poor. Beyond the Edinburgh and Tweed Valley residents (or former residents) I’ve also met Trekster, SimonDBarnes and a very long time ago I met Jedi and a bunch of other southern STWers on one of their trips to Glentress.

I’ve bought a t shirt off Mark at Sleepless in the Saddle 2004 and seen, if not actually met, a few of the other Singletrack crew. I was at a gig where apparently Hannah was part of the security crew, she possibly manhandled a friend of mine out of the crowd after he went crowdsurfing.

nbt

On a more serious note than my first post on this thread. I’ve probalby met a couple of hundred forum users over the years (nothern chapter rides, pootles, weekends, races, other events) and I’d go so far to say as I can’t recall any of them being anything other than lovely. We’ve had offers of hosting when we enquired about parking somewhere for an event, even offers of transport. I’ve tried to reciprocate where possible –  community rocks

IHN

I can’t recall any of them being anything other than lovely.

https://giphy.com/gifs/PISwhrT4O8On6/html5

**effing forum, I give up**

edhornby

I met binners this morning on the ride into work 🙂

tazzymtb

met loads, they’ve all been remarkably sweet and lovely people apart form one chap from the classifies who was  grade A knobend

sold niche Ti stuff to stoner and have  had a man-crush on him since 🙂

Pook

Running the Pootles I’ve met loads.

philxx1975
    Free Member

In the flesh?

I’d ask can you cover up

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

For those who have met up, did you refer to yourselves by your forum names throughout conversations?

Stoner
    Free Member

to stoner and have  had a man-crush on him since 🙂

I fancies a bit of rough like you too. mwah.

tomhoward

For those who have met up, did you refer to yourselves by your forum names throughout conversations?

I did, but it’s tough not to, tbh.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘When you meet STWrs in the flesh…’ is closed to new replies.