Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 171 total)
  • When you meet STWrs in the flesh…
  • DezB
    Free Member

For those who have met up, did you refer to yourselves by your forum names throughout conversations?

My forum name is my name, Larry.

Northwind

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>Larry Lamb wrote,</div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

For those who have met up, did you refer to yourselves by your forum names throughout conversations?

</div>
    Who refers to themselves by their names? “Northwind says that this is a really nice trail”. “It could do with some deberming- so sayeth ChrisL, first of that name”. I don’t do it with my real name either, I’m not a rapper.

But I do answer to it. I’ve been Northwind on that internet forever basically and especially from the motorbike side there’s a lot of people who basically use it as my name and probably have no clue what my actual name is, it’s sort of odd and sort of nice.

Cougar

As I recall, Binners refused to tell us his real first name and insisted on being called Binners.

But I do answer to it. I’ve been Northwind on that internet forever basically and especially from the motorbike side there’s a lot of people who basically use it as my name and probably have no clue what my actual name is, it’s sort of odd and sort of nice.

I’m in much the same boat.  I adopted Cougar as an online alias circa 1990 (pre-www).  I have friends I initially met online who only know me as Cougar (that is to say, most know my real name but don’t use it).  As @Northwind succinctly says, it’s a bit odd but kind of nice.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I have friends I initially met online who only know me as Cougar (that is to say, most know my real name but don’t use it).

Aren’t you Teresa’s brother 😉

DezB
    Free Member

I wish I’d adopted a sexy Internet name back when I signed up for my aol account. Grrr.

miketually
    Free Member

Between a few Kielder 100s, SSUKs and HtNs I’ve met a fair few.

Brant gave me a pink saddle* in a park once.

*not a euphamism

singlespeedstu

I miss Sheldon “the wok” SSStu and Ormondroyd though.

I still drop in now and again but can’t be bothered to post much any more.

Well that and I have to actually do some work now.😞

Met quite a few of the folks from back in the day at  races/gatherings and met a few people on  holidays too.

I miss SSJef.

No idea what happened to his account.

RustySpanner

Can’t remember Jane and Peter’s forum names, but I think they won the pairs at one at first HtN’s.

Great event, remember helping Jane rescue her bike from the bombhole and I think I offered Peter a gel when he was knackered. After the race they both came up to me and insisted I take their prize, a £10.00 voucher. Still no idea why, but what a lovely thing to do.

So many random acts of kindness,Terrahawk inventing increasingly random reasons to stop an give us a break on preview rides, the genuinely inclusive vibe of the Monday Night Pub Rides,  the help and encouragement everyone has always shown to Sue and I…..

Crack on….

I think I have met a few via ‘The Silly Kents’ and ‘Dorset Rough Riders’ but I can’t remember their forum names. Maybe Plant and Boriselbrus.

RustySpanner

Stu and Bren at the Dales Bike Centre?

I bet we’ve all been lemon drizzled at some point…….

Drac

No but many have and still do call me by my forum name, no idea why but I do answer to it if when they do. That said I chose my forum name as a few people have called me that before the days of home internet.

scotroutes

Some, yes. For instance TJ is always TJ, never Jeremy. Sanny is Sanny, but then I doubt even his mother would recognise his real name.

bob_summers

I can’t.  It’s just weird.

Though in context, I’ve only met the local Basque contingent.  And have ridden at Afan with MidlandTrailquestGraham

johnw1984
    Free Member

Think my missus knows more from here than I do Tracey and Rocketdog (and she doesn’t even have a login!).

I speak to Tracey every so often and that’s about it 🙂

Ambrose

I’ve met a few people on rides, and call them by their usernames unless asked to do otherwise. My username is also my known name, so it’s never a problem with me, unless it is my wife talking to me, she calls me by my real name. She’s the only person who can do so and have me ‘recognise’ it.

I remember meeting loads of guys riding in the Quantocks- were people wearing name stickers? I was just riding with a couple of mates that day.

I’ve guided a few people around mid-Wales and again in the Porte’s du Soleil. That was a fun day that led to a few more rides. Many thanks to Stoner for the organisation.

RustySpanner- I messaged you earlier, many thanks for your very kind words, it was a good feeling to help you out.

And the gnusmas ride was cool too.

kcal

@scotroutes I think it would be the tear in the space time continuum that would end it all, yes.

It’s taken me ages to meet some, likes of @Houns for example. @teacake was a direct out of the blue contact. @swayndo, @gordymac (I think) and indeed @bedmake only in the last year or so, what’s even odder is meeting them then working out who they are on the internet afterwards..

RustySpanner

Damn, am working all next week Ambrose.

You have my address and Becky/Craig’s number. – They have bought a house in Cinderford – same rules apply as our place in Burnley – everyone welcome, all the time.

I’m just starting a uni course so  not sure of availability, but it would be so good to meet up.

Please keep in touch mate, and once again, thank you.

Regards,

Pete.

Moses

I’ve met several, including a couple of buying / selling / swapping bike tranfers. All have been top chaps, apart from the women.

I think that Stoner and BigDummy and that nice carpenter bloke from S London were the first, more than 10 years ago. Flashy was supposed to turn up, but didn’t.

Most recently I’ve bought a bike from Dr Lex. Thanks, Dr Lex, much appreciated.

RustySpanner

And just to add, however we all appear on the forum, political opinion is just that.

An opinion.

I’d rather pull my own finger nails out than agree with THM or Jambers on here, but I have nothing but respect for the way they have dealt with other forumites in real life.

Massive respect guys…….

vickypea
    Free Member

Just remembered that I met Chipps and Jenn several years ago at Mountain Mayhem. Also remember Mr Sparkles holding a placard saying “pedal ya b….s” at HtN.

Also met stuc a couple of weeks ago as he did the Trans Cambrian with us.

SaxonRider

Weirdly, vickypea and I haven’t actually met, but we know each other vicariously even though I live in South Wales, and she lives in North England.

ahsat

We bumped into @legolam about 6 years ago on a ride in the Durham Dales (which she was doing the wrong way round 😉). She was quite new to biking so started coming on rides with us and since has become a very good friend.

She is still in my phone as ‘Hannah Legolam’. Can’t bring myself to change it.

Live in Yorkshire now and I’m aware that a forum member lives about 200 m up the road from me – can’t remember thier name and yet to bump into them.

@p20
    has also met @ton since we moved down here who he said was absolutely lovely. He very very kindly sorted us out with an alarm which really helped me get over the impact of our bikes being stolen.

Oh and I joined the forum 11 years ago after my first date with @p20 so guess that counts too 😄

rOcKeTdOg

Think my missus knows more from here than I do Tracey and Rocketdog (and she doesn’t even have a login!)

I can confirm that this has nothing to do with my previous post on dating forum members!

My mates are now used to random shouts of “are you Rocketdog?” in the woods & now just roll their eyes

Kryton57

I’m never reading this thread again.  Last night I had a dream that me and the missus where starting up a bar with food in Spain, next to a shop that sells Lego.    It had a beer garden and amongst our first few Patrons – when they’d finished their meal – were two STW’s Hora and one other whose name I can’t remember now I’m awake.   Hora dashed off on his moped as soon as I’d discovered it was him.

Whats particularly odd, is that I don’t know and have never met or had a conversation with Hora at all, I only know of him by limited reputation at the end of his postings on here a few years ago.  No idea why he’s be so prominent in my dream.

matt_outandabout

😂

senorj

LOL at Kryton.

scotroutes

When you say “prominent”……

lowey

Met loads of people of here. To a person, they have all been thoroughly nice people and a few who I have remained great friends with to this day.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oztkar]ton del[/url] by Dave Lowe, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/74Z57u]DSC02676[/url] by Dave Lowe, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/76ty6M]DSC01104[/url] by Dave Lowe, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/76wL4A]DSC02074[/url] by Dave Lowe, on Flickr

All STW’ers…..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve man-hugged binners. We kept a respect gap between our crotches.

Esme
    Free Member

I nearly met Lowey once.

One very hot day, we started a ride from a layby near Sedbergh.  Nearby, there was an MTB-er sitting in his car, so we assumed he was just waiting for a mate to turn up.

Afterwards, I noticed a thread about a Howgills ride, with Lowey complaining about missing out, because of car problems.  It turned out he was waiting in the layby for breakdown rescue.

I wish I’d said hello – or even invited him on our ride!

trickydisco
    Free Member

I’ve met quite a few people from here over the years.

Used to ride fairly regularly with IHN, sheldon (mr niche who is no longer niche ;),Cheezybeans Bought a frame off Tazzy and then entered the Enduro 6 with him. Chas at a quantocks ride that sharki was leading. Chas got me into racing in a big way! Also met Vegan Graham at a few races although haven’t seen him for a while.  I camped next to Terrahawk at the kielder 100 quite a few years back and we had a good chat after the race. Met tooTall at rollapaluza in Bristol and he’s now moved to the USA. Also others through at cyclocross races in Bristol

crazy-legs

Met loads – far too many to name or recall them all over the many many years.

Never met CFH though. This is disappointing!

IHN

Used to ride fairly regularly with IHN

Aye, hello chap, hope you’re well. Really must relaunch Da STW Cotswold Massiv, they were good days of top bimbles.

fasthaggis

GT7 this weekend,I am going to play spot the STWers. 😉

ElShalimo

My claim to fame:

I bought a saddle from @ton

I bought a roof rack from @Cougar on a very rainy day.

I’ve met @bearnecessities too. The rumours are true, he is a gifted, generous and kind lover with an oh-so-soft touch.

jonnyrobertson

I went on a few rides with Littlegirlbunny and Goog (possibly other STW’ers as well) a few years back before I moved away from the West Midlands. Nice folk, lost their numbers though and I don’t think they frequent here any more.

This is pre Singletrack so don’t know if it counts but I went to school with Badger (only found out who he was vis a recent thread link) and had a few high speed blasts round Cannock with dbcooper. Fit as a butchers dog. Lost touch after I had to bail out of a lunchtime social meet as the train I was taking to Stratford went a-knacker on me, earning me a swift bollocking. Quite glad I didn’t escalate things by suggesting a camomile tea…

Also, threads like this make me really regret the fact I never gave any consideration to my username. Don’t know why but it bugs me that that’s my real name up there.

perchypanther
    Free Member

GT7 this weekend,I am going to play spot the STWers.

Massive opportunity to mess with some heads there.

* orders “I am CaptainFlashheart” T-shirt

binners

Met loads of people off here over the years.

Esme lives just down the road from my mum and dad, and let my daughters play on her rather funky recumbent bikes

True story

Rubber_Buccaneer

* orders “I am CaptainFlashheart” T-shirt

and special shoes

SaxonRider

I have met @binners, who lives very close to my mum, and my brother. Although @molgrips and I are now friends, we met through this site by arranging to ride together. I met @P-Jay recently on a ride at Afan. I met @mooman and @taxi25 through the old mtb-wales site, but we have kept up correspondence on this site, and still ride together.

There are also two members on here who are related to me. We’re plotting a take-over.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘When you meet STWrs in the flesh…’ is closed to new replies.