Home Forums Bike Forum What’s this Blue Tool – Spoke De-stressor?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What’s this Blue Tool – Spoke De-stressor?
    woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

In this video https://youtu.be/JjuerFUYB7M?si=OeV8qVPRfOuC8Odm he produces a little blue tool for reducing the spoke wind-up.

I thought Park Tools because of the blue but can’t see anything of their website. I’ve tried all the wheel building suppliers I know of but no luck. Does anyone know what it is or where to get one?

nixie

Post a picture…..

Do you mean spoke pliers? Hold the spoke so it’s doesn’t get wind up.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41yKUNGblrL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

frogstomp

Post a picture…..

Or the timestamp at least..

ads678

Screenshot 2024-10-01 090102

Looks like a little hook, I like the standing on the spokes method!!

desperatebicycle

Looks like something he’s had 3D printed

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Sorry forgot the time stamp whilst trying to get the video link in.  26:25

Rubber_Buccaneer

Never seen one of those, I use the wheel pro gardening glove and squeeze pairs of spokes method to do the same thing. That tool would save wear and tear on my delicate hands

Northwind

I stand on ’em but then I weigh 60kg, that might not be such a good idea if you’re a big un

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

That’s the method I usually use. But now there’s a new tool to buy!

jamiemcf

I stand on them, I’m about 1.5 north winds.

sirromj

I’ve been lead to believe: standing on them is to stress the new hubs in a way which produces the same effects as riding – the hard steel spokes bite into the softer alu hubs – you then do another tensioning session afterwards to get their final tension.

To de-twist the spokes you bring one side of the wheel into you abdomen, holding the opposite side with both hands and then, using your elbows, apply almighty pressure to try and turn them into the shape of Pringle – aka a hyperbolic paraboloid. This momentarily decreases the spoke tension enough to allow them to de-twist all by themselves.

sirromj

apply almighty pressure to try and turn them into the shape of Pringle

Ali Clarkson demonstrates here: 29:28

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

I put some cardboard down or a bit of leftover carpet to protect the endcaps and the rim from accidentally contacting the ground and getting scratched, hold the wheel at 9 and 3 o clock like driving an old bus and apply pressure causing the spokes to ping, turn the wheel a quarter turn and repeat a few times, flip it over and do the other side, it works the same as standing on it but not as harsh, I can understand people worried about standing the spokes.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.